10-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #24
OJCSO
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
It was.
Oh boy! I was interested in that one but they were being completely unreasonable about my trade value. I was going to go up and take a look anyway but they told me it had just been sold by the time I made the decision to go look at it . I moved on to an alpine white in the area after that. The day after I took the AW home, the sales guy at Herb reached back out to let me know the DG became available again. What was up with that one?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #25
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJCSO View Post
Quote:
It was.
Oh boy! I was interested in that one but they were being completely unreasonable about my trade value. I was going to go up and take a look anyway but they told me it had just been sold by the time I made the decision to go look at it . I moved on to an alpine white in the area after that. The day after I took the AW home, the sales guy at Herb reached back out to let me know the DG became available again. What was up with that one?
Glad you didn't. It was also sold and came back to me after buyer financing fell through allegedly. Anyway, This was all over a two week time frame, but I looked at, drove it one day and liked it. New brakes and tires all around, decent history. Wife wanted to see it so they brought it to my house the next day. Somewhere in between they damaged the front bumper cover. Big gouge near passenger headlight. I thought okay, maybe give them a chance to fix it. Put a deposit on it so it would t be sold again. Waited a week and went to see the repair. The paint work wasn't great, but even worse they put it back together horribly. Fender flares were sticking out, clips were missing front and back, bumper wasn't aligned. I thought I'd give them a chance to get it right.

The deciding factor was that I spent about an hour with the car that day inside and heard a strange hvac related sound. Almost like a constant clicking. I waited a week for them to get back to me and they said they were waiting on BMW for guidance and were going to have to pull the dash. I backed out right then. Should have sooner. I feel bad for whoever bought it. I'm guessing none of this was disclosed.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 03:16 PM   #26
OJCSO
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Dang, thanks for the info. Glad I didn't get wrapped up in that. Sorry you almost did.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #27
Saleeb86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 M (F85)

Quote:
The buying out of state is tough. Ultimately, I think I got a solid car and a good deal, but had I seen the car in person first, I may have passed on it. Mind you I'm a perfectionist coming out of multiple brand new cars so any used car was going to be a challenge for me. It was definitely cared for, but well used by the original owner. Evidence of kids (some scratching on seat backs, a ding in the piano black dash trim), plenty of small rock chips on the exterior and some minor curb rash on two wheels. I had the latter repaired by the dealer prior to delivery, but the job done was sub par.

I had a fair amount of communication with the sales person and she sent multiple videos and pointed out a couple of rock chips in the front of the car, but that was about it. I saw the minor curb damage on the rims in the videos and had to call it out. All in all though, and I have found this with most, it looked great in pictures and on video, but it's a different story in person. Again, my car is actually really nice, just not as nice as it was portrayed relative to my standards. This holds true for all 4 local ones I looked at.

Biggest things that went unoticed were a chunk out of the sidewall of one of the front tires (dealer is reimbursing me) and water damage to the leather on the bottom of the passenger front door. The water damage made me nervous, but it seems localized. It wasn't disclosed in the sales process, but in all honesty, it could have been missed. I'll be taking it into a local dealer to look at, but the selling dealer has pretty much said they won't do anything about. New door panel is $2600 so I didn't figure they would. You can't see it at all when the door is closed and the rest of the leather in the car is near perfect now after some serious hours and Leatherique (will be a separate thread).

Anyway, this is all a long winded way of me saying ask a lot of questions and get a lot of pictures of specific areas. Get the service history (not just what's listed on Carfax), look out for red flags like repeated services for the same thing (battery), mismatched tires, etc.. Biggest piece of advice...get a PPI done!. That's my only regret so far. They may not have caught the things I'm complaining about, but I'd feel better about the purchase overall.

And if you're looking at a Donnington/Aragon in Boston, PM me so I can be sure it's not the one I passed on and share why.

Oh, and I lucked into a good shipping experience. Auto transport is weird with brokers and bidding and random timelines. The guy who bought my RS5 was in WA and I ended up using the same company he did. I think they do most of their work here in the east, but my buyer knew the shipper so he did the cross country for him. Both of our cars made it safely to their respective homes. I can share that contact info with you as well if you need it.
Had the issue with the mismatched tires on mine (which I bought almost two months ago from out of state). Three Michelin's, one Dunlop, all in good shape. Didn't ask for an explanation because I figured maybe one just went flat? What could this be a sign of?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #28
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

Quote:
Glad you didn't. It was also sold and came back to me after buyer financing fell through allegedly. Anyway, This was all over a two week time frame, but I looked at, drove it one day and liked it. New brakes and tires all around, decent history. Wife wanted to see it so they brought it to my house the next day. Somewhere in between they damaged the front bumper cover. Big gouge near passenger headlight. I thought okay, maybe give them a chance to fix it. Put a deposit on it so it would t be sold again. Waited a week and went to see the repair. The paint work wasn't great, but even worse they put it back together horribly. Fender flares were sticking out, clips were missing front and back, bumper wasn't aligned. I thought I'd give them a chance to get it right.

The deciding factor was that I spent about an hour with the car that day inside and heard a strange hvac related sound. Almost like a constant clicking. I waited a week for them to get back to me and they said they were waiting on BMW for guidance and were going to have to pull the dash. I backed out right then. Should have sooner. I feel bad for whoever bought it. I'm guessing none of this was disclosed.
I actually went to go look at that one as well. They werent too keen on letting me test drive ,definitely because of how I was dressed or because how young I am( was dressed relaxed in adidas joggers and hoodie). So I looked at it as much as I was allowed, looked to be in really good condition but this was over 2 weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #29
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleeb86 View Post
Quote:
The buying out of state is tough. Ultimately, I think I got a solid car and a good deal, but had I seen the car in person first, I may have passed on it. Mind you I'm a perfectionist coming out of multiple brand new cars so any used car was going to be a challenge for me. It was definitely cared for, but well used by the original owner. Evidence of kids (some scratching on seat backs, a ding in the piano black dash trim), plenty of small rock chips on the exterior and some minor curb rash on two wheels. I had the latter repaired by the dealer prior to delivery, but the job done was sub par.

I had a fair amount of communication with the sales person and she sent multiple videos and pointed out a couple of rock chips in the front of the car, but that was about it. I saw the minor curb damage on the rims in the videos and had to call it out. All in all though, and I have found this with most, it looked great in pictures and on video, but it's a different story in person. Again, my car is actually really nice, just not as nice as it was portrayed relative to my standards. This holds true for all 4 local ones I looked at.

Biggest things that went unoticed were a chunk out of the sidewall of one of the front tires (dealer is reimbursing me) and water damage to the leather on the bottom of the passenger front door. The water damage made me nervous, but it seems localized. It wasn't disclosed in the sales process, but in all honesty, it could have been missed. I'll be taking it into a local dealer to look at, but the selling dealer has pretty much said they won't do anything about. New door panel is $2600 so I didn't figure they would. You can't see it at all when the door is closed and the rest of the leather in the car is near perfect now after some serious hours and Leatherique (will be a separate thread).

Anyway, this is all a long winded way of me saying ask a lot of questions and get a lot of pictures of specific areas. Get the service history (not just what's listed on Carfax), look out for red flags like repeated services for the same thing (battery), mismatched tires, etc.. Biggest piece of advice...get a PPI done!. That's my only regret so far. They may not have caught the things I'm complaining about, but I'd feel better about the purchase overall.

And if you're looking at a Donnington/Aragon in Boston, PM me so I can be sure it's not the one I passed on and share why.

Oh, and I lucked into a good shipping experience. Auto transport is weird with brokers and bidding and random timelines. The guy who bought my RS5 was in WA and I ended up using the same company he did. I think they do most of their work here in the east, but my buyer knew the shipper so he did the cross country for him. Both of our cars made it safely to their respective homes. I can share that contact info with you as well if you need it.
Had the issue with the mismatched tires on mine (which I bought almost two months ago from out of state). Three Michelin's, one Dunlop, all in good shape. Didn't ask for an explanation because I figured maybe one just went flat? What could this be a sign of?
To me it's just a sign of a non "car guy" owning and caring for the car. I would never put a mismatched tire on a car. Makes no sense. Especially if it's a run flat mixed with non run flats. Can't be a great driving dynamic in such a performance oriented vehicle.

With all of that said, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it doesn't bother you, it's not really a sign of any kind of problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #30
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Juice View Post
Quote:

I actually went to go look at that one as well. They werent too keen on letting me test drive ,definitely because of how I was dressed or because how young I am( was dressed relaxed in adidas joggers and hoodie). So I looked at it as much as I was allowed, looked to be in really good condition but this was over 2 weeks ago.
Ugh. Hate the judging a book by its cover nature of the car business. Or any business for that matter. You dodged a bullet though.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #31
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

Quote:
Ugh. Hate the judging a book by its cover nature of the car business. Or any business for that matter. You dodged a bullet though.
Tell me about it! When I told him I worked in car sales myself his whole demeanor changed which was unfortunate because that was towards the end.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:10 PM   #32
Hd818
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Congrats on the new f85!

Following to see how fitment on those tips goes. I want to order them if they fit our cars too. Keep us updated please!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #33
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hd818 View Post
Congrats on the new f85!

Following to see how fitment on those tips goes. I want to order them if they fit our cars too. Keep us updated please!
Absolutely will. There hasn't been a DHL shipping update since October 9. Hoping it's just because they were coming from Australia. Will give it a couple more days before I reach out to the vendor.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #34
Chris C.
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M Donny/Blk 2021 M850Ci

Nice, find, good luck with it.

Can you share the black exhaust tip solution? Haven’t found one other than a Dinan swap out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 05:30 PM   #35
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

https://modeautoconcepts.com/product...nt=42717579910

Still waiting on mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:01 AM   #36
Chris C.
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M Donny/Blk 2021 M850Ci

Quote:
Thanks, ultimately saw it on closer read

“Fit is exact” - will they fit an F85 or don’t we know yet??
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 07:17 AM   #37
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Don't know yet on my end. Vendor in Australia said shipping is taking longer than normal because of, you guessed it, Covid. WIll start a new thread when I get them.
Appreciate 1