BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Review: Yokohama BluEarth Winter V905 [winter] tires

I got a set of staggered 20" Yokohama BluEarth Winter V905 [winter] tires about two months ago.

I had plans a few months ago to head up north to Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine around the early December. I actually wanted other tires, but they were sold out on Tire Rack at the time, so I picked the Yokohama tires. In the past few years I have been using the Conti DWS06 which is stellar performer. I didn't really want to spend big bucks on winter tires plus another set of rims, and since I got the 20" staggered setup, I got these tires to match this size. On TireRack the Yokohama is the cheapest choice, coming out just a hair over $1000 with free shipping [at the time of purchase].

I have driven about 5500 miles on this set of tires this winter so far mixture of freezing temperatures and some warm spells of around 50°F, with dry weather, light and heavy rains, light and heavy snows.

Regular driving:
Very good dry performance, not very noisy on asphalt, not any noisier than other tires on concrete. Very soft compared to the Conti DWS06 [which in turn is softer than runflat tires] with stock tire pressures of 35 and 39 psi cold pressures, front and rear, respectively. Seems pretty stable at speed, tons of grip. Cornering seems pretty good. A little lacking in steering response, perhaps due to softer winter compound. Seems to evacuate water pretty well and stays grippy in wet weather. Light drag in deep standing water, probably more of an issue due to wider tires.

Snow performance:
I have driven many different brands of winter tires (Blizzaks, Scorpion Ice & Snow, etc.) on other cars and I would say this Yokohama despite being cheapest of the choices on TR it is as good as the others. I don't have numbers to prove anything, just from driving about. Tons of grip, especially in light snow and on ice. I've driven over some ice patches a few cars lost traction, my car it stayed pretty planted. I've hit similar patches of ice with the DWS06 that was definitely twitchier, but not here. So winter tires do make a difference. Heavier snow (about a foot deep), I had no problems finding grip for acceleration, turning, braking. On the BMW be sure to disable DSC and turn on DTC instead.

Overall I would say this is definitely a solid choice. If you get smaller wheels perhaps you can invest in the other tires. I am happy with this purchase so far.

Last edited by alphaod; 01-15-2019 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 4