BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2024, 10:24 AM   #1
Bmwskx
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e

X5 2017 40e *** Battery & Hybrid Issues***

Hello Everyone,

So I have a plugin 2017 x5. For a while (few months) it has been driving somewhat weak while driving on battery and disengage on lower speeds (30-50km) previously it used to go over 60-70 without a problem.

Recently it started showing the **drivetrain** (picture attached) and it switches to petrol. This happens randomly and not all the time. Sometimes this error is followed with **charging malfunction** (picture attached).

I took it to the dealership and to an indy mechanic, both their diagnostic indicates something wrong with high-voltage <cell 1> and possibly the inverter (alternator? not sure).

I'm suspecting that it could be the smaller batteires and asked them to retest the 12v and aux batteries but they're saying these are fine.

The dealership is proposing reprogramming the hybrid system but with a caveat that there's a probability that the car doesn't start again.

If this happens it could cost me around 10-12K$ for a replacement of the inverter.

Not sure what to do... any ideas??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 11:29 AM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Change the broken stuff with used parts from the Indy if he’s willing. Then dump the car.

This is first gen tech and the repairs will likely only get more frequent and more expensive. Do some searching - they’re terrifying.

If you were DIY I’d say maybe keep it. Otherwise, run.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 12:50 PM   #3
Straddle55
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 X5 40e, 2008 E83 X3

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, lol
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 02:48 PM   #4
Bmwskx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Change the broken stuff with used parts from the Indy if he’s willing. Then dump the car.

This is first gen tech and the repairs will likely only get more frequent and more expensive. Do some searching - they’re terrifying.

If you were DIY I’d say maybe keep it. Otherwise, run.
Hehehehe, well that would be a last resort I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 02:51 PM   #5
Bmwskx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straddle55 View Post
Not exactly what I wanted to hear, lol
Unfortunately it hasn't been a pleasant experience with this car... I first got it when it was only 15K kilometres, and since then the type and number of issues has been considerable.

Yes it drives and rides great, but I just don't understand how such an expensive brand has so many issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 05:02 PM   #6
Straddle55
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 X5 40e, 2008 E83 X3

The expensive module that switches between battery and ICE needed to be replaced by the dealer before I bought my car, with 38k miles on it. I got an extended warranty which hopefully covers costly repairs, I'm hoping for the best.

Good luck, hopefully you get your issue sorted without breaking the bank. Keep us 40e owners updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 01:29 AM   #7
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwskx View Post
Unfortunately it hasn't been a pleasant experience with this car... I first got it when it was only 15K kilometres, and since then the type and number of issues has been considerable.

Yes it drives and rides great, but I just don't understand how such an expensive brand has so many issues.
Here’s why it’s breaking… you take an already repair-intenisive vehicle (BMWs have issues with oil leaks, electronics, suspension, etc) and then you add an electric motor, a large expensive battery and all new hybrid integration systems that are first generation. First generation equipment of this nature that has been pushed to market on an accelerated timeline is a recipe for problems. And you just multiplied all the problems with every new system added.

And then, mechanics that are seeing this for the first time are expected to solve a problem they’ve never seen that’s 3* more complicated than their normal problems. There are actually some easy and cheap fixes but they’re not knowledgeable enough to figure it out so they replace entire expensive control components to cover their ass.

So, if you can’t fix a car like this yourself, reason says to avoid.

Or buy a third party warranty.

I’m sorry OP, but this is the reality with a car like this. I’m on my 6th (I think?) BMW and I’ve DIY’d them all and the thought of these hybrid systems is immense.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 01:19 PM   #8
Bmwskx
Rep

Quick update,,

Changed the 12v battery (against the advice of the service centrr) and did a software update for the car. Didn't work and still the drivetrain message popped.

Next, I will probably change one cell of the high voltage battery which is giving an error, and which the technician is attributing the problem to.

Any other rcommendations are welcome ��
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 01:23 PM   #9
Bmwskx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Here’s why it’s breaking… you take an already repair-intenisive vehicle (BMWs have issues with oil leaks, electronics, suspension, etc) and then you add an electric motor, a large expensive battery and all new hybrid integration systems that are first generation. First generation equipment of this nature that has been pushed to market on an accelerated timeline is a recipe for problems. And you just multiplied all the problems with every new system added.

And then, mechanics that are seeing this for the first time are expected to solve a problem they’ve never seen that’s 3* more complicated than their normal problems. There are actually some easy and cheap fixes but they’re not knowledgeable enough to figure it out so they replace entire expensive control components to cover their ass.

So, if you can’t fix a car like this yourself, reason says to avoid.

Or buy a third party warranty.

I’m sorry OP, but this is the reality with a car like this. I’m on my 6th (I think?) BMW and I’ve DIY’d them all and the thought of these hybrid systems is immense.
Agree a 100%

Even though I bought this car from BMW premium selection, the dealer couldn't extend the warranty saying it's a BMW thing...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 09:00 PM   #10
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwskx View Post
Quick update,,

Changed the 12v battery (against the advice of the service centrr) and did a software update for the car. Didn't work and still the drivetrain message popped.

Next, I will probably change one cell of the high voltage battery which is giving an error, and which the technician is attributing the problem to.

Any other rcommendations are welcome ��
Love it! Please post your results. Super helpful for the community! And thank you :-)
Appreciate 0