BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
GeorgeDixon
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & M550i

Drivetrain Malfunction

So I recently traded my M4 on a 2017 X5M. I have only had it for about 5 weeks. I did BM3 Stage 1 91 right away. Aside from that it is stock other than visual mods. 44,000km (27,000 miles).

Driving home tonight - not driving hard at all - at about 100kmh (60mph) the "Drivetrain: Continued driving possible. Drive moderately" message came up. Even giving a small amount of throttle it would shudder pretty bad. I pulled over and shut it off, restarted and it ran fine but the message was still there. It went away after a minute or so of driving. I was close to home at this point. After I got home, I shut it off, I restarted it, and the message was back, but seemed to be running fine still.

I grabbed my laptop to check the codes with bootmod3 and there aren't any?? The only code was "138104 exhaust flap control cable disruption", because the flaps are unplugged.

Should I flash back to stock and take it to the dealer? I have 7 or 8 months of warranty remaining. I'm pretty bummed about it.
      10-18-2020, 06:07 AM   #2
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

I've seen this issue before but it wasn't because of "flaps" first thing I would say is code the car to keep the flaps open if that's what you want I've never been a fan of unplugging anything on cars just to disable when there's a much better way of doing so.

Next I would tell you to check your coil packs and spark plugs ASAP... you should also clear the codes within BM3 and just drive the car regular because I'm sure if you get on it heavy again the code will come back.

If your a hands on / mechanically inclined guy I say order these very parts and swap em yourself even though you have warranty. Nothing beats the piece of mind you get when you know it's done and done right.

But if you don't feel like doing any of that then feel free to go with your original option and flash back to stock and bring it in and have the dealer take care of it for you.

Hopefully I was able to help..🍻
      10-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
GeorgeDixon
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post
I've seen this issue before but it wasn't because of "flaps" first thing I would say is code the car to keep the flaps open if that's what you want I've never been a fan of unplugging anything on cars just to disable when there's a much better way of doing so.

Next I would tell you to check your coil packs and spark plugs ASAP... you should also clear the codes within BM3 and just drive the car regular because I'm sure if you get on it heavy again the code will come back.

If your a hands on / mechanically inclined guy I say order these very parts and swap em yourself even though you have warranty. Nothing beats the piece of mind you get when you know it's done and done right.

But if you don't feel like doing any of that then feel free to go with your original option and flash back to stock and bring it in and have the dealer take care of it for you.

Thanks for your reply. I unplugged the flaps before I bought BM3. I will plug them back in and code it open properly. That’s good advice.

If been doing some reading and it seems like the general consensus is plugs and coils - although this error can be many things. A bit confused that I had no codes though . I am fairly mechanically inclined so no issues doing it myself. Now when you say check the coils and plugs - what am I looking for?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDixon View Post
Quote:

Thanks for your reply. I unplugged the flaps before I bought BM3. I will plug them back in and code it open properly. That’s good advice.

If been doing some reading and it seems like the general consensus is plugs and coils - although this error can be many things. A bit confused that I had no codes though . I am fairly mechanically inclined so no issues doing it myself. Now when you say check the coils and plugs - what am I looking for?
Well as far as plugs you can usually see when those aren't in the greatest condition but coils can be tricky at times but I say just change em out for a piece of mind. Your car can have baby miles or high miles truth is if you purchased second hand you truly don't know what the previous owner did maintenance wise so it's probably best you go over certain things for a peace of mind.

All 8 coils and plugs aren't that much so I say change em all but if cash is tight right now cause we're in rough times I can do you a solid and send coils that I have as spares and a set of plugs that was installed for 2 days so there actually new for cheap just PM me if your interested. Only reason they were removed is because I went 2 steps colder due to it working better with my tune.
      10-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #5
GeorgeDixon
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well as far as plugs you can usually see when those aren't in the greatest condition but coils can be tricky at times but I say just change em out for a piece of mind. Your car can have baby miles or high miles truth is if you purchased second hand you truly don't know what the previous owner did maintenance wise so it's probably best you go over certain things for a peace of mind.

All 8 coils and plugs aren't that much so I say change em all but if cash is tight right now cause we're in rough times I can do you a solid and send coils that I have as spares and a set of plugs that was installed for 2 days so there actually new for cheap just PM me if your interested. Only reason they were removed is because I went 2 steps colder due to it working better with my tune.
I will change them all out for peace of mind. That’s very kind of you to offer to send them to me, I appreciate the gesture. Times are certainly tougher than the norm right now - but I probably shouldn’t be driving an F85 if I can’t afford some plugs and coils
      10-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #6
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Had/have an E70M, F85 and a F10M5... all had these symptoms and wound up being the coils. Change em all. Cheap and easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:09 AM   #7
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3 Non ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDixon View Post
So I recently traded my M4 on a 2017 X5M. I have only had it for about 5 weeks. I did BM3 Stage 1 91 right away. Aside from that it is stock other than visual mods. 44,000km (27,000 miles).

Driving home tonight - not driving hard at all - at about 100kmh (60mph) the "Drivetrain: Continued driving possible. Drive moderately" message came up. Even giving a small amount of throttle it would shudder pretty bad. I pulled over and shut it off, restarted and it ran fine but the message was still there. It went away after a minute or so of driving. I was close to home at this point. After I got home, I shut it off, I restarted it, and the message was back, but seemed to be running fine still.

I grabbed my laptop to check the codes with bootmod3 and there aren't any?? The only code was "138104 exhaust flap control cable disruption", because the flaps are unplugged.

Should I flash back to stock and take it to the dealer? I have 7 or 8 months of warranty remaining. I'm pretty bummed about it.
Do you have access to ISTA? BM3 doesn't always show faults. ISTA is more thorough and will typically find/read faults much better than BM3.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #8
GeorgeDixon
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman_newyork View Post
Do you have access to ISTA? BM3 doesn't always show faults. ISTA is more thorough and will typically find/read faults much better than BM3.
I do actually - I've never been able to get to work on the F series though. I could only ever get it to work on my wifes previous E70.