BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #23
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Late to the party, but here's what CPO does NOT cover. FWIW, last month we go leaking rear diff repaired under CPO with zero hassles.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
The BMW Certified Pre-Owned Protection Plan and the BMW Certified Elite Protection Plan provide specific
coverage against defects in materials and workmanship. There are various items that are not covered by these
warranties for enrolled vehicles retailed on or after January 1, 2014.

Vehicle Maintenance
Brake pads and rotors (discs), brake shoes and drums; filters; fluid replacement of a component by itself;
scheduled maintenance services; spark plugs; wiper blade inserts, blade assemblies/beams.

Upkeep
Adjustments; batteries (as a stand-alone repair); driveshaft flex disc (guibo coupling); engine drive belts; exhaust
systems (including the gasoline engine catalytic converters, and the diesel engine “SCR” catalytic converter and
particulate filter); flywheel, ring gear and clutch disc contact area; fuses; manual and “SMG” transmission clutch
assemblies; oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolant (except as required in the course of performing a
covered repair); rubber engine and heater coolant hoses, vacuum hoses (including clamps and connectors); tires;
tire balancing and rotation; wheel alignment.

Suspension
Ball joints; bushings; center tie rod; coil springs – sagging (except for leveling system pneumatic/hydraulic springs);
control arms and brackets; idler and pitman arms; stabilizer bar links and supports; strut elements/shock absorbers
(dampers); tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves; trailing arms, thrust struts; wishbones.

Body
Air leaks; body carriers, cross members, supports, braces and mounts; body panels, body shell, walls, partitions
and chassis sheet metal; body noises, squeaks and rattles; body seals and gaskets; bulbs - incandescent, Xenon
and LEDs; convertible top (except for electrical/electronic components); damage due to rust, corrosion or
contamination; door brakes and checks; door handles and carriers (except for electrical/electronic components);
exterior moulding, trim and fasteners; gas pressurized springs/struts; glass - side, sliding roof, rear and mirrors
(except for electrical/electronic components); latch and lock mechanisms and their related components (except for
electrical/electronic components); paint finish; water leaks; wheels and valve stems (except for electrical/electronic
components); windscreen (including the sliding roof); windshield (except for the front rain sensor); wind noises.

Interior
Bulbs – incandescent and LEDs (except for the instrument cluster); carpeting; floor and trunk mats;
headliner/sliding roof liner panel; interior noises, squeaks and rattles; interior dashboards, consoles, panels, covers,
vents, grills, trims and fasteners (except cup holders); seatbelt extender arm assembly (except for
electrical/electronic components); sunblinds (except for electrical/electronic components); sun visors (except for
electrical/electronic components); upholstery (except for seat heating elements and seat occupancy sensor mat).

Accessories (Standard and Optional)
All non-original equipment parts, components and accessories.
      10-16-2020, 11:01 PM   #24
emrliquidlife
Private
Rep
Drives: 1985 X1/9 mine, 2007 328 hers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyE36 View Post
Late to the party, but here's what CPO does NOT cover. FWIW, last month we go leaking rear diff repaired under CPO with zero hassles.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
The BMW Certified Pre-Owned Protection Plan and the BMW Certified Elite Protection Plan provide specific
coverage against defects in materials and workmanship. There are various items that are not covered by these
warranties for enrolled vehicles retailed on or after January 1, 2014.

Vehicle Maintenance
Brake pads and rotors (discs), brake shoes and drums; filters; fluid replacement of a component by itself;
scheduled maintenance services; spark plugs; wiper blade inserts, blade assemblies/beams.

Upkeep
Adjustments; batteries (as a stand-alone repair); driveshaft flex disc (guibo coupling); engine drive belts; exhaust
systems (including the gasoline engine catalytic converters, and the diesel engine "SCR" catalytic converter and
particulate filter); flywheel, ring gear and clutch disc contact area; fuses; manual and "SMG" transmission clutch
assemblies; oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolant (except as required in the course of performing a
covered repair); rubber engine and heater coolant hoses, vacuum hoses (including clamps and connectors); tires;
tire balancing and rotation; wheel alignment.

Suspension
Ball joints; bushings; center tie rod; coil springs – sagging (except for leveling system pneumatic/hydraulic springs);
control arms and brackets; idler and pitman arms; stabilizer bar links and supports; strut elements/shock absorbers
(dampers); tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves; trailing arms, thrust struts; wishbones.

Body
Air leaks; body carriers, cross members, supports, braces and mounts; body panels, body shell, walls, partitions
and chassis sheet metal; body noises, squeaks and rattles; body seals and gaskets; bulbs - incandescent, Xenon
and LEDs; convertible top (except for electrical/electronic components); damage due to rust, corrosion or
contamination; door brakes and checks; door handles and carriers (except for electrical/electronic components);
exterior moulding, trim and fasteners; gas pressurized springs/struts; glass - side, sliding roof, rear and mirrors
(except for electrical/electronic components); latch and lock mechanisms and their related components (except for
electrical/electronic components); paint finish; water leaks; wheels and valve stems (except for electrical/electronic
components); windscreen (including the sliding roof); windshield (except for the front rain sensor); wind noises.

Interior
Bulbs – incandescent and LEDs (except for the instrument cluster); carpeting; floor and trunk mats;
headliner/sliding roof liner panel; interior noises, squeaks and rattles; interior dashboards, consoles, panels, covers,
vents, grills, trims and fasteners (except cup holders); seatbelt extender arm assembly (except for
electrical/electronic components); sunblinds (except for electrical/electronic components); sun visors (except for
electrical/electronic components); upholstery (except for seat heating elements and seat occupancy sensor mat).

Accessories (Standard and Optional)
All non-original equipment parts, components and accessories.
We bought a warranty for 2,250 that will cover anything. I figure with oil changes, spark plugs and front and rear brakes I'm doing ok. There is a terrible rattle in the rear hatch. Annoyed about that. They said rear brakes have 8 mm of pad. Maybe to the metal.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #25
Marrduk24
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

A looking at buying 2018 x5. Is there any rule of thumb around what % of original MSRP that would make it a good deal? Cheapest CPO I have seen is around 58.5% of MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #26
byarbs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i

I picked up my 2017 X5 xdrive 35i Msport on CPO for $37k. It had 50k miles with every option except rear entertainment and DHP for$37k. And the CPO is good for another two years
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #27
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB,

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife View Post
They said rear brakes have 8 mm of pad. Maybe to the metal.
plenty of pad left !!
      01-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #28
gutijoh
New-ish Member
Rep
Drives: F15, F30 (lease) E53 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byarbs View Post
I picked up my 2017 X5 xdrive 35i Msport on CPO for $37k. It had 50k miles with every option except rear entertainment and DHP for$37k. And the CPO is good for another two years
FWIW, last month picked up a CPO'd '17 3.5i, fully loaded, 33k miles for 39.9k. Had the color combo I wanted and paid no mind getting hit with a premium. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:05 PM   #29
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Agreed, overpriced considering it's an sDrive and has almost no options. That long list of equipment posted above is all standard equipment aside from the Mocha interior & DA package. This X5 must have been a custom order, I don't think I've seen many F15's with so few options.

Also, and I probably sound like a broken record on this topic, by why pay a premium for CPO? The CPO warranty is now just 1 year w/ unlimited miles, so unless you drive a ton I don't think it's worth it. Not when you consider it's small duration, the additional premium dealers charge for a CPO'd vehicle, and the fact the warranty has many exclusions that many buyers are not aware of. It does not provide the same level of coverage as the original 4 year/50K warranty.
From my experience buying CPO is not just the extended warranty but the checking. I have a 2018 X5 50i where all the door seals, front seat cushions, tires, floor mats and brakes are all new! It practically looks like a new car with no dents and scratches. Mine was $53K, with an MSRP of $91K with 22K miles. I guess I could have paid a couple thousands less to not get it CPO, but to me it was worth it.
Appreciate 0