BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-27-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
Garcia_f24
Private
Rep
Drives: Range Rover SVR — X5M (

buying x5m with damage to left rear corner

Hey all,

I went to check out an X5M today and dealership (non BMW ) was upfront about the previous damage and showed me the carfax which stated that the estimate to the left rear corner was $17,358.09.

They don't know what the damage was or how serious it was since this was a trade in, but it passed all of their inspections.

Do you guys see this as a major red flag? the car is about $9,511 below the average of similar cars same year similar mileage. I would obviously take it to a bmw dealer for a pre purchase inspection and get them to check everything on that left rear corner, but I wanted to get peoples opinion on this one.

Thanks for the input and help guys
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia_f24 View Post
Hey all,

I went to check out an X5M today and dealership (non BMW ) was upfront about the previous damage and showed me the carfax which stated that the estimate to the left rear corner was $17,358.09.

They don't know what the damage was or how serious it was since this was a trade in, but it passed all of their inspections.

Do you guys see this as a major red flag? the car is about $9,511 below the average of similar cars same year similar mileage. I would obviously take it to a bmw dealer for a pre purchase inspection and get them to check everything on that left rear corner, but I wanted to get peoples opinion on this one.

Wow 17k worth of damage? There's a reason it's $9511 below market value. Unless you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, you'll most likely take a hit on resale value as well. That accident damage reported to Carfax will never come off.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      11-28-2019, 12:04 AM   #3
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Whats a new set of wheels and tires cost, 4-5k? Probably needed a new exhaust too?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:49 AM   #4
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia_f24 View Post
Hey all,

Wow 17k worth of damage? There's a reason it's $9511 below market value. Unless you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, you'll most likely take a hit on resale value as well. That accident damage reported to Carfax will never come off.
Yeah totally, but you're getting a deal up front too. Actually, on resale the discount is even less.

On a $60K car accident drops the price $10K? What about in three years when it's worth $40? The discount for accident is no longer $10K, it's maybe $5-$7?

In any event, $17K worth of damage is no joke.
      11-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
Garcia_f24
Private
Rep
Drives: Range Rover SVR — X5M (

yeah that's what I thought. It is way too much so I'll move on to the next test drive this weekend. Thanks for the input guy, really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Avoid. Pricey damage repair. They would only replace the left wheel and tire, not the whole set as someone suggested so its about $16K in replacement parts and labor. Estimate half of that for a labor charge and you are at about $7-8K in parts replacement not including a wheel and tire.
      11-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

It might look fine but what you won't know/feel until days/weeks later, be the rattles/creeks and annoying suspension vibrations etc.

If I was you, I'd rather spent $10,000 and save all the hassle/time trying to figure out those issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #8
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
It might look fine but what you won't know/feel until days/weeks later, be the rattles/creeks and annoying suspension vibrations etc.

If I was you, I'd rather spent $10,000 and save all the hassle/time trying to figure out those issues.
100%

At this price point just get one that hasn't been rolled. Haha