02-26-2016, 05:52 AM   #1
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Question Main menu on start up

Can anyone solve the mystery of why sometimes my idrive goes to the main menu and other times it goes back to my last view? I always have the screen split between the sat radio and onboard info. More often than not, the screen defaults to the main menu, other times it reverts to my last view.

I can't figure what triggers it. I always lock the doors, so that's not it. The time out of the vehicle doesn't seem to be it either. I never press the OK upon entering so scratch that thought too. I always use the comfort access and just open the door to unlock. Any ideas? I did try searching but I'm not finding what I'm looking for.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Are you parking in an area with no sat radio signal? I wonder if that prompts it to revert to the main menu? Other than that, I'm stumped, because mine always starts off right where I left off. I also had the annoying iDrive safety prompt turned off (which I'd recommend, in addition to seat belt chimes, etc.), so my startup is even quicker. But I also don't listen to sat radio, pretty much always on usb media which is always connected.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

My car has had a lot of little software gremlins in it from day one. I was the PUMA case that got the BMW Apps issue resolved, after them having my two week old car for almost a month.

Currently, the feature that shows how much fuel one is to have left at their input navigation destination does not work correctly. If I have ¾ of a tank, and I input an address 9 miles away, the system will tell me I'll have no gas upon arrival. That's some dismal fuel economy, there!!

I have noticed other little software glitches, such as the one you describe, cmyx6go. I just assumed when it reverted to the main menu the system had crashed at shutoff, and rebooted, or there was an over-the-air update from BMW Connected Drive, which will also reboot one to the main menu.

jcfay's idea is also a good one. The system does like to go back to the main menu when it cannot access the selected function.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
The sat radio is on when I shut down and comes on when I start up so I'm not in a dead zone.

I wasn't sure if the main menu was a normal default under certain circumstances. All my previous BMWs went to my last view. But then again, this M is so much different than my previous M, I don't know what is normal anymore.

I guess I'll stop at the dealer when I have time. It's no big deal, just annoying. At least it's the only gremlin so far.

Thanks to you both.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

A lot of software confusion might be caused by grabbing the "wrong" keyfob. When we got our i3 (and our x5m, actually), we noticed that our settings would disappear. Turns out, we were just grabbing the other keyfob which didn't have any settings yet.
      02-26-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelid View Post
A lot of software confusion might be caused by grabbing the "wrong" keyfob. When we got our i3 (and our x5m, actually), we noticed that our settings would disappear. Turns out, we were just grabbing the other keyfob which didn't have any settings yet.
I set both of them the same and the spare keyfob stays in my jewelry box as I am the only driver, but thanks for the thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #7
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I set both of them the same and the spare keyfob stays in my jewelry box as I am the only driver, but thanks for the thought.
So much classier than me! All of our spare keys are in the "junk drawer" in our kitchen!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
So much classier than me! All of our spare keys are in the "junk drawer" in our kitchen!
It has a special place, right next to my going out diamond earrings.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 08:40 PM   #9
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

This isn't limited to the X5 M. Every BMW I've had in recent memory has done this. No explanation.
      02-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #10
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Ironically, since posting this I have gone back to last screen on every start up. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #11
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

I had an epiphany today regarding this issue.....

That stupid start-up screen, where one needs to admit they're not an idiot, and confirm they won't use the nav and drive.....well, if one does NOT click "confirm" and it auto-clears itself, it defaults to the main menu. If one clicks "confirm" the nav system goes back to the last screen/item used.

I bet this is the cause if your troubles, cmyx6go.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #12
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Couple of points:

1. You can (via coding) turn off the annoying disclaimer. Then it always seems to start where it left off last time (if that's a navigable location still)

2. UrbanExtant - the range feature confused me for a while, as I also thought it was telling me I'd have no gas left on a short trip. Yours may be broken, so apologies if so - but what it (confusingly, IMHO) displays is the *gas required* for the trip.

So, a long trip the little dot will be to the right, those short trips will be almost by the "E". Net net - if your gas level is past the dot, you'll be able to make it without a refill...
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
Couple of points:

1. You can (via coding) turn off the annoying disclaimer. Then it always seems to start where it left off last time (if that's a navigable location still)

2. UrbanExtant - the range feature confused me for a while, as I also thought it was telling me I'd have no gas left on a short trip. Yours may be broken, so apologies if so - but what it (confusingly, IMHO) displays is the *gas required* for the trip.

So, a long trip the little dot will be to the right, those short trips will be almost by the "E". Net net - if your gas level is past the dot, you'll be able to make it without a refill...
Thanks, alistairg, I plan to change a lot of things via coding when I get a computer with which to do it. We are a Mac house, and own no PC computers. I have the cable, and downloaded all the software needed for coding to a spare drive, but need the computer to use it all now. My husband loves WoW, so I told him to select a gaming laptop he would use for that, and I'll just use it for BMW coding from time to time. He's slow in his selection process, so my coding is delayed.

I don't think cmyx6go has coded her X6 M, so maybe what I thought of today is causing her issues.

Thanks for the info on the range feature. It would be interesting if the feature is supposed to work the way you describe it, because that's not how BMW tells me it is to work. This past autumn, I was fortunate enough to be at a BMW event loaded with executives across all divisions, and a software exec sat in my car with me, and saw what I described here about the range feature, and said it wasn't working right. It is very possible that even they don't know how their own feature is supposed to work!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #14
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
You can code with a Mac as long as you run Parallels or VMware. That is what I did. Windows runs faster on the Mac then most PCs.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #15
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Yes, I had that annoying disclaimer screen coded off at the same time as I had ASD coded off. Perhaps that's why I always am in the same place on start up - no need to hit that stupid button or ignore it...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #16
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, alistairg, I plan to change a lot of things via coding when I get a computer with which to do it. We are a Mac house, and own no PC computers. I have the cable, and downloaded all the software needed for coding to a spare drive, but need the computer to use it all now. My husband loves WoW, so I told him to select a gaming laptop he would use for that, and I'll just use it for BMW coding from time to time. He's slow in his selection process, so my coding is delayed.
All my coding has been done from a Macbook Pro, running Windows 8 on Parallels.

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the range feature. It would be interesting if the feature is supposed to work the way you describe it, because that's not how BMW tells me it is to work. This past autumn, I was fortunate enough to be at a BMW event loaded with executives across all divisions, and a software exec sat in my car with me, and saw what I described here about the range feature, and said it wasn't working right. It is very possible that even they don't know how their own feature is supposed to work!
That's certainly the way mine works. I took some pictures with different destinations (close, medium, and far). You can see in each the "distance to destination" and note that the dot reflects gas *required* in each. I think I have about 130 miles of range left in my tank right now.

Not at all intuitive, but once you've got your head around "as long as the gas gauge is past that dot I'm fine" it's easy
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #17
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
All my coding has been done from a Macbook Pro, running Windows 8 on Parallels.

That's certainly the way mine works. I took some pictures with different destinations (close, medium, and far). You can see in each the "distance to destination" and note that the dot reflects gas *required* in each. I think I have about 130 miles of range left in my tank right now.

Not at all intuitive, but once you've got your head around "as long as the gas gauge is past that dot I'm fine" it's easy
Alistairg, I very much appreciate you taking the time to post this response. My vehicle works exactly as yours appears to work. I base my statement that it isn't working correctly on what everyone from BMW has told me who's seen how this feature works on my vehicle, along with how I was taught it worked when I took delivery at the Performance Center. Your explanation makes perfect sense to me, but it contradicts the written documents I've seen from BMW, some of them training documents, and what I've been told during different conversations. Knowing that it isn't just my vehicle, and hearing your explanation of the feature, it may be something worth letting go, and utilizing as you do, over letting BMW tinker with my car's software. I'll make sure to show your post to my friends in BMW, as well as the "genius" at my local dealership who says this method of operation is incorrect. Again, thanks for taking the time to take the pictures, and do such a great writeup, it's much appreciated!

As for coding with my MacBook....I've thought about it. In the end, the absolute only thing that Windows would be used for is coding our BMWs, so it's not worth clogging up my MacBook for just that. As I mentioned, my husband loves World of Warcraft, and has causally mentioned getting a dedicated Windows gaming laptop for some period of time now. I feel more comfortable going that route, than taking much needed, and used hard drive space on my MacBook, even if his indecision is slowing down my ability to code the cars right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 05:14 AM   #18
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I had an epiphany today regarding this issue.....

That stupid start-up screen, where one needs to admit they're not an idiot, and confirm they won't use the nav and drive.....well, if one does NOT click "confirm" and it auto-clears itself, it defaults to the main menu. If one clicks "confirm" the nav system goes back to the last screen/item used.

I bet this is the cause if your troubles, cmyx6go.
Thanks for the thought but that experiment failed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 07:09 AM   #19
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I have a new theory I need to check out. I realized this morning that I mostly back into parking spots and I don't always shut the reverse camera. I'm wondering if somehow this triggers the main menu vs the last screen. I purposely shut the car down while the camera was active on the screen. We shall see.
Appreciate 0