BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-12-2020, 10:16 PM   #727
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM View Post
You are probably right regarding the little rattle I mentioned. I will investigate this again over the weekend or next, just to be sure, however for what I remember this rattle was not there at first when I did the catless dp, so at this point I can't say it is not.
Also, in terms of how it sounds, outside, except the cold start which is pretty loud, very similar with how it was before just different tone, the exhaust sounds very good. Because there was so much traffic at the time I was driving, I couldn't really take a good understanding of how it is. But the brief WOT I did and drive doesn't sound bad at all! The f86 x6m muffler is much different than the other x6 models and I really don't see any necessity of replacing with any aftermarket. It is 3" pipes and with valves ON straight true design. You can't do any better than this.
Also, I still have the OEM resonators and I can put them back if needs, but like I mentioned earlier, my initial plan (and still is, just not right now) is to have there high flow catalytic converters. At this point I haven't decided if I want to put some GESI cats or some cheaper Magnaflow 59959 | 200cpsi | 3"in/out | Metallic Substrate. I am leaning towards the Magnaflow. I will drive as it is for a couple of weeks and get a full understanding of pros/cons and than decide. But right now, it doesn't sound bad at all. I did a short video today, sound is pretty good for phone recording, I will try and get some with the GoPro as well

Sorry my bad, I forgot you had a M and was thinking you had a 50i. The 50i muffler is complete crap, the M is far superior. The resonators however are the same between the 50i and M, as I'm sure you noticed they are different sizes, this is done on purpose by BMW to tune the exhaust pulses. Adding downpipes changes this and you get that "rattle" on downshifts and certain rpm, sounds like something is loose like an exhaust heatsheild or something. I went nuts trying to track it down, then after listening to other 50i and M's that had donwnpipes I put two and two together and thought ok and X-pipe should sync everything up but soon learned you have to have resonators.

Being that you have the M, your spared the horrific racket the lack of resonators make but the small rattle is still there. Again if this is the same rattle that I and others had, you hear it mainly city driving between shifts and not under wide open throttle and sounds just like something is loose. So after you look over your truck and if you don't find anything mechanical, highly recommend installing resonators of equal size (don't reuse the old, they are different sized and tuned for the stock cats)

Here is a thread you might be interested in with an M who did this same mod, granted it's a E70 M but with the flaps open, th E70 and F15 M should sound very similar

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...1743086&page=2
Appreciate 3
1norseman398.00
ICBM15.00
NoSugar134.50
      08-12-2020, 10:59 PM   #728
Gkacmaz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
I had the 3" X-Pipe installed today and also removed the baby resonators. Last min call I decided to do this first and later on have the high flow catalytic converters installed. Sound wise it is not really louder than it was, it does sound different. Not necessary better or worse, just somehow different, exactly what I was expected from the x-pipe (I had x-pipe install on previous vehicle). It is basically more refined sound than before with less american muscle car sound and no rasp at all. The good part is that the gear changing rattle in D Mode is completely gone. That was my main reason for the x-pipe install. On the other hand, there was another kind of annoying rattle at low speed, that one is still present (maybe even worse!) At this point I don't know where is that coming from, my initial assessment was that it was from the baby resonators, but they look ok inside and that was not the cause. Sounds like the exhaust it is touching something when vibrates, like the heat shield or something else, or like a bad flex pipe or something but that's not the case since there are no flex pipes except the ones on the dp and these are perfectly fine. I am also thinking maybe the muffler valves could rattle (probably not). I still need to do some more driving including HWY for a complete feedback.
I should have read your previous posts more closely and warned you, you made the EXACT same mistake I did, I first did it with just the x-pipe and nuked the resonators, sounds great inside the truck, and like CRAP outside, I had ever same rattle you did and you hear it echo off everything. You HAVE to run resonators or go with a different muffler, I learned the rattle is caused by the 50i muffler design, it has to have resonators as the first chamber is not baffled with any sound suppression fiberglass so you literally have explosions from your combustion process piped into a hollow chamber and thus why it sounds like a firecracker going off In coffee can.

Now the good news is the race resonators that will solve all this are only around 35 dollars each and the muffler shop shouldn't charge you much to put in, plus they are more efficient then the stock. Your truck will sound awesome with them inside and out and you will fall in love with all over again and pick up some power to boot. I have several friends now with M and 50is who have done this exact mod and love it, so will you (it also takes care of the little rattle you had before the removing them as I had that too, all n63, s63, and all tu variants get this rattle with downpipes as the stock resonators are tuned for the cats). Below is a link again

https://www.amazon.com/LCGP-Universa.../dp/B07Y1C7D87

BTW, I finished my pnematic cutouts that bypasses the muffler, I love the raw power and sound from it when I feel like showing off but noway could I drive around like that all the time, don't know how the other members could stand the muffler delete mod on a daily basis so it's nice to turn it off with the push of a button, will post some videos of it soon on case anyone else wants to do it
Very interested in that pneumatische cutout, do you have any pictures and the part?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:16 PM   #729
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M

Quote:
Sorry my bad, I forgot you had a M and was thinking you had a 50i. The 50i muffler is complete crap, the M is far superior. The resonators however are the same between the 50i and M, as I'm sure you noticed they are different sizes, this is done on purpose by BMW to tune the exhaust pulses. Adding downpipes changes this and you get that "rattle" on downshifts and certain rpm, sounds like something is loose like an exhaust heatsheild or something. I went nuts trying to track it down, then after listening to other 50i and M's that had donwnpipes I put two and two together and thought ok and X-pipe should sync everything up but soon learned you have to have resonators.

Being that you have the M, your spared the horrific racket the lack of resonators make but the small rattle is still there. Again if this is the same rattle that I and others had, you hear it mainly city driving between shifts and not under wide open throttle and sounds just like something is loose. So after you look over your truck and if you don't find anything mechanical, highly recommend installing resonators of equal size (don't reuse the old, they are different sized and tuned for the stock cats)

Here is a thread you might be interested in with an M who did this same mod, granted it's a E70 M but with the flaps open, th E70 and F15 M should sound very similar

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...1743086&page=2

No doubt the sport resonators you linked will work better than stock, since as you mentioned, stock resonators are tuned to be used with OEM cats. The f86 x6m dose comes with very similar looking resonators like the ones on Amazon, but the inside perforated mesh - the holes are much smaller.
I knew the stock resonators needs to be removed no matter what. Either with aftermarket or with high flow cats. I will do the high flow cats, hopefully these will solve the small rattle issue. Or I may do the sport resonators and keep the smelly exhaust
      08-13-2020, 05:59 PM   #730
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep

After one day of driving, I decided to go back to the muffler shop. Sound isn't bad, but some drone at high gear/low rpm around 1100-1400rpm plus some other strange noises . I just ordered two of the resonators you mentioned, the 16" ones from Amazon. Will take around a week or so to arrive. Now my dilemma is to keep or not the x-pipe? Since I will be having these new resonators, maybe they will do a better job at muffling the gear changing rattle? At this point I am not 100% how is that muffled by the x-pipe since it is non-resonated. I think it is because of the scavenger effect the turbo wastegate may behave differently. I really like the way OEM exhaust sounds with the catless dp. Except the gear rattle changing on D mode, the sound it is 10/10. I am willing to have that back if needs rather the the x-pipe sound. The muscle car rumble it is much better for my taste. I will ask the muffler shop to fabricate an H pipe instead of the x-pipe, just a short H connection in between the pipes where the x-pipe is. That and the 16" resonators. Hopefully will be what I am looking for
      08-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #731
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkacmaz View Post
Very interested in that pneumatische cutout, do you have any pictures and the part?
Sure, below are some pics, this is on an E70 50i, the exhaust is the same between the E70 and F15 with the only difference being slightly different bumper designs. The inner tips are for the stock exhaust and when the cutouts open the exhaust can flow through the muffler, bypassing the restrictive baffling and resonance chambers through the outer tips. Below is a link to the cutouts off amazon. Get the normally closed type if you decide to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Qiilu-Exhaust.../dp/B07Y34JN1R

I will post some audio clips of it soon with the cut-outs open (it is twice as loud as stock with the cut-outs open!). For some reason I always seem to open them whenever I pass a Prius
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Gkacmaz41.00
      08-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #732
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
After one day of driving, I decided to go back to the muffler shop. Sound isn't bad, but some drone at high gear/low rpm around 1100-1400rpm plus some other strange noises . I just ordered two of the resonators you mentioned, the 16" ones from Amazon. Will take around a week or so to arrive. Now my dilemma is to keep or not the x-pipe? Since I will be having these new resonators, maybe they will do a better job at muffling the gear changing rattle? At this point I am not 100% how is that muffled by the x-pipe since it is non-resonated. I think it is because of the scavenger effect the turbo wastegate may behave differently. I really like the way OEM exhaust sounds with the catless dp. Except the gear rattle changing on D mode, the sound it is 10/10. I am willing to have that back if needs rather the the x-pipe sound. The muscle car rumble it is much better for my taste. I will ask the muffler shop to fabricate an H pipe instead of the x-pipe, just a short H connection in between the pipes where the x-pipe is. That and the 16" resonators. Hopefully will be what I am looking for
I think you will really like the resonators, it makes the sound even deeper IMO. As for the X-pipe, I am not sure how it affects the sounds vs an H-pipe so it will be very interesting to hear how it turns out, I think either way you will be good. And perhaps its just in my mind, but I swear it is faster now after the mods, its too hot to draggy the times on here in AZ but when it cools down some I will get some times on it. Interested to see if you think yours feels quicker after the resonators. Post some audio clips too if you can
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #733
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think you will really like the resonators, it makes the sound even deeper IMO. As for the X-pipe, I am not sure how it affects the sounds vs an H-pipe so it will be very interesting to hear how it turns out, I think either way you will be good. And perhaps its just in my mind, but I swear it is faster now after the mods, its too hot to draggy the times on here in AZ but when it cools down some I will get some times on it. Interested to see if you think yours feels quicker after the resonators. Post some audio clips too if you can
I will do a new video once it's done, I hope I will have the resonators by next Friday. From all I know about the H vs X -Pipes in terms of sound, the H keeps the muscle car sound while still doing balancing exhaust gasses and flows quite well. X-Pipe will do better in terms of flow but in terms of sound not and apparently the gain it is seen at higher rpm.
(Also, depends on the application, for the Audi 3.0 Supercharged engine I love the x-pipe sound vs non x-pipe). I am only looking for sound improving, performance wise doesn't really matter, 2-3hp more or less make no difference. After the x-pipe I don't feel any difference in performance. If something, feels like slower now but that's just me being mad about the wasted time and money I guess I haven't used my Draggy on this car yet, maybe I will do it when I will be on vacation.

Yours for sure it is faster after the mods, the most restrictive part of the OEM exhaust it is the rear muffler, and you have it straight pipe

Last edited by ICBM; 08-14-2020 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #734
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I will do a new video once it's done, I hope I will have the resonators by next Friday. From all I know about the H vs X -Pipes in terms of sound, the H keeps the muscle car sound while still doing balancing exhaust gasses and flows quite well. X-Pipe will do better in terms of flow but in terms of sound not and apparently the gain it is seen at higher rpm.
(Also, depends on the application, for the Audi 3.0 Supercharged engine I love the x-pipe sound vs non x-pipe). I am only looking for sound improving, performance wise doesn't really matter, 2-3hp more or less make no difference. After the x-pipe I don't feel any difference in performance. If something, feels like slower now but that's just me being mad about the wasted time and money I guess I haven't used my Draggy on this car yet, maybe I will do it when I will be on vacation.

Yours for sure it is faster after the mods, the most restrictive part of the OEM exhaust it is the rear muffler, and you have it straight pipe
Definitely post some videos, and If you can, a drive by recording would be awesome. Ya the power increase is before I added the cutouts, seems to be a boost in mid-range. I just notice it's flying through the gears quicker but again perhaps just my perception, waiting for it to cool down (116 yesterday) so I can get some actual data on what difference it makes. And again difference between cut-outs open and closed.

All say one thing: Cant recommend doing muffler removal and installing straight pipes when you have downpipes already...it's fun for awhile and neat to get scowling looks from the Prius you just blew past but it's just to freaking loud for s daily driver, sooooo glad I decided to do the extra work and add the cut outs so I can turn it off with the touch of a button. Now time to make an rpm activated switch for them
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #735
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep

OK So everything is done, I put back the OEM part of pipes that were initially cut of and replaced with the x-pipe (good that I saved them) and I had an H pipe fabricated right on the same spot plus the new aftermarket resonators. I wanted the OEM look and the result is very good. I am very happy with the way it looks and sounds! The gear rattle is gone! And sound wise it is very similar with stock before going catless. I don't know if it is more or less loud, the only way to tell is to have two cars side by side. The little raspines catless dp had it is now completely gone. Sound is 100% refined. Great recommendation the resonators! I don't know for sure what is it that muffles the gear changing rattle, probably the H pipe I will say, but the mixture of these resonators and the fabricated H-Pipe is the way to go when going catless.

Attached Images

Last edited by ICBM; 08-21-2020 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      08-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #736
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

(edit with added 3rd picture)
Since the X-pipe I bought on AMZ over a year(two?) ago, was really cheaply made, and definitely not free flowing, I decided a long time ago, to make my own X-pipe. However, life has had a way of getting in the way.
Now I have finally made time to work on my own X-pipe. (switching bumper, so I have to make the exhaust a priority)
I could have taken the quicker way out and used an H-pipe set up (perfectly fine solution), but I felt a challenge figuring out how to make my own X, and just like the looks of it, even if no one will really see it.

Have had 4 pieces of the Vibrant stainless steel mandrel bent 60 degree bend, 2.75" tubing laying around for quite a while, just waiting on me to find time.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-13071

So I made drawing, and started cutting.
I had planned to make the opening close to 70-71mm wide (had to decide on something...), but after cutting by hand with 4-1/2" grinder (Diablo diamond blade), I had to sand (bench belt sander) openings to make surfaces perfectly even, and openings got slightly bigger. Both are now 73mm wide. (picture distorts)

Also cut the two other 60 degree bends in half, to create the parallel in and out ports of the X-pipe. By using the same 60 degree bend pipe, they will line up perfect when parallel.

I still need to shorten the ends of the X, to correct length. Hope I will find time later this week. Then off of a welding shop, since welding is something I'm not great at, and I don't even own a TIG welder.

Second picture shows the in and out parallel pipes before I cut them in half. Added this picture, to show an easy way to mark the line, to follow for freehand cutting.
Just lay the bend flat on the side, add 3 marks, 2 on sides and 1 on top, then line up the cardboard cut out, for marking a perfect cut in the middle.
I lined up the bend on the graph paper, and then used a 90 degree carpenter square, to mark the sides, then a tape measure to get the mark on the top(side).

Updated the picture of the X-Pipe pieces, now in a simple alignment jig. Ready to drop off to welding shop.

Will post update once the X-pipe is finished.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1norseman; 09-07-2020 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: added pic
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 12:06 AM   #737
Fleex650i
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x6 50i

2018 x6 50i owner
Hey I'm new on here and I've read every single page
I went ahead and installed the x pipe after resonators and then did a muffler delete . Any new mods/ideas to make it sound just a little bit better ? sounds very scavenger angry but not really deep .

Last edited by Fleex650i; 09-17-2020 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 03:12 PM   #738
Ozmac
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5 M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
(edit with added 3rd picture)
Since the X-pipe I bought on AMZ over a year(two?) ago, was really cheaply made, and definitely not free flowing, I decided a long time ago, to make my own X-pipe. However, life has had a way of getting in the way.
Now I have finally made time to work on my own X-pipe. (switching bumper, so I have to make the exhaust a priority)
I could have taken the quicker way out and used an H-pipe set up (perfectly fine solution), but I felt a challenge figuring out how to make my own X, and just like the looks of it, even if no one will really see it.

Have had 4 pieces of the Vibrant stainless steel mandrel bent 60 degree bend, 2.75" tubing laying around for quite a while, just waiting on me to find time.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-13071

So I made drawing, and started cutting.
I had planned to make the opening close to 70-71mm wide (had to decide on something...), but after cutting by hand with 4-1/2" grinder (Diablo diamond blade), I had to sand (bench belt sander) openings to make surfaces perfectly even, and openings got slightly bigger. Both are now 73mm wide. (picture distorts)

Also cut the two other 60 degree bends in half, to create the parallel in and out ports of the X-pipe. By using the same 60 degree bend pipe, they will line up perfect when parallel.

I still need to shorten the ends of the X, to correct length. Hope I will find time later this week. Then off of a welding shop, since welding is something I'm not great at, and I don't even own a TIG welder.

Second picture shows the in and out parallel pipes before I cut them in half. Added this picture, to show an easy way to mark the line, to follow for freehand cutting.
Just lay the bend flat on the side, add 3 marks, 2 on sides and 1 on top, then line up the cardboard cut out, for marking a perfect cut in the middle.
I lined up the bend on the graph paper, and then used a 90 degree carpenter square, to mark the sides, then a tape measure to get the mark on the top(side).

Updated the picture of the X-Pipe pieces, now in a simple alignment jig. Ready to drop off to welding shop.

Will post update once the X-pipe is finished.

nice work !
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      09-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #739
Gkacmaz
Private
Rep

Guys I've been reading the entire thread and there's something that's not clear to me to yet. Reading through everything it seems the diameter of the pipes are 2.5". I ordered Digipower USA electric exhaust cutout (2.5") and I plan to get it installed right before the muffler. I test fitted it earlier and I might be wrong but the pipes that go into the Muffler seem to be bigger. Can anyone chime in and tell me wether it's 2.5" or larger?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #740
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Guys I've been reading the entire thread and there's something that's not clear to me to yet. Reading through everything it seems the diameter of the pipes are 2.5". I ordered Digipower USA electric exhaust cutout (2.5") and I plan to get it installed right before the muffler. I test fitted it earlier and I might be wrong but the pipes that go into the Muffler seem to be bigger. Can anyone chime in and tell me wether it's 2.5" or larger?
2.5" is too small, 2.75" will be the closest match.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #741
Gkacmaz
Private
Rep

Thank you I'll exchange it for 3 inch then!

Edit: another question, what would happen if I were to install the 2.5" cutout? I'm asking bc it's basically a Y-Pipe so once the valves are open the exhaust gas wouldn't only go out from the valves, some of the gas would still flow towards the muffler, at least logically speaking, would you guys think it'd still have a negative impact?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #742
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you I'll exchange it for 3 inch then!

Edit: another question, what would happen if I were to install the 2.5" cutout? I'm asking bc it's basically a Y-Pipe so once the valves are open the exhaust gas wouldn't only go out from the valves, some of the gas would still flow towards the muffler, at least logically speaking, would you guys think it'd still have a negative impact?
If you have an X-pipe in front of the cut outs, the exhaust gasses will still have plenty of space to evacuate, is what I believe.
If no X-pipe, it might affect the performance, but you are not looking for performance with the cutouts closed, I'm guessing.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:38 PM   #743
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

X-Pipe ready to go

X-Pipe ready...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #744
adonnan
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E91

So, has anyone else bolted this onto their exhaust?
https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../parts/CBK0027
I glanced through the pages of the thread, but didn't see it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:02 AM   #745
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
So, has anyone else bolted this onto their exhaust?
https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../parts/CBK0027
I glanced through the pages of the thread, but didn't see it.
Not as I know of...
I looked at that one, but a few issues.

"3" to 2.75" x-pipe system!" So only the outlet side is 2.75", while the rest of the X-pipe is 3". Having the extra volume will mess with exhaust speed. Not that important on a turbo engine like ours, but still.

3" inlet side is not parallel, and angle does not match the one on the X5.
Adding 3" to 2.75" reducers at correct angle, could possibly fix this.

Outlet side is too close together, and you would have to somehow push the X5's pipes closer together to fit, or create some kind of mini bends on both original pipes.

So it would not be a bolt on system at all, needs modifications to fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #746
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Anyone have 50i m sport muffler with tips they willing to sell?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:01 PM   #747
MW50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive50i

Completely stock besides M filters and (of course) muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #748
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Slow progress, but getting closer.

My welding guy was out sick for a bit, but finally got this back.
Still need to cut X-pipe to correct length, to match up with existing pipes on the X5.

Second picture shows the cross brace I cut off from where the X-pipe now is. Moved it further down the pipes, to strengthen where there won't be a muffler holding it together.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0