BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Help with Transfer Case errors

Mileage of 49k on an 50xi. I have aftermarket staggered 21s. From what Ive read this could be an issue but at the same time, ive seen plenty of X5s with staggered 21s.

Recently started having vibrations/shuddering on acceleration while getting onto the highway. From my research on here I assumed it was the transfer case. About 2 weeks ago I did the fluid change myself and recalibrated with ISTA. The fluid was very dark/black.

Since I changed fluid, the issue hasnt gone away. I also noticed sometimes in Park the car vibrates a little bit.

I ran the fault codes with ISTA and this is what came up:

CDA426 - No message (status, distribution, longitudinal torque, front axle, rear axle, 19.3.4)

102006 - Hot film air mass meter 2, air filter element 2, signal, coupling: Poor incoming flow

102004 - Hot film air mass meter 2, air filter element 2, signal: Poor incoming flow

D016E4 - Message (distribution status, longitudinal moment, front axle, rear axle, 19.3.4) mis...

48068C - Transfer box: Temporary fault, temperature

D358F8 - Signal (status distribution longitudinal moment front axle/rear axle, 19.3.4) invalid...

ISTA shows all the 'longitudinal moment' and transfer box errors popped up at the exact same mileage.

There have been NO error lights on the dash.

Something else I noticed is ISTA is showing the errors happened at mileage of 79XXX...where does this number come from since I only have 49XXX on the odometer?

Small update: in regards to the MAF sensor errors, I pulled both out and cleaned them, the passenger side one one looked to have a bit of oil residue on it. I also noticed the Crankcase Vent lines are cracked so looks like ill be giving the dealer a call this week to get those taken care of. See this thread:

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...0B01%2012%2018

Last edited by vastano; 10-19-2020 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #2
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

ISTA mileage are in kilometers.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Did you check it with ISTA before you changed the fluid in transfer case or after? May be there are 2 different issues going on, transfer case and MAF dirty/vent lines are cracked? Try to troubleshoot one at the time so you can better understand what is wrong. I hope your transfer case is not going out, but just in case there is a great thread about rebuilding it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 11:17 PM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

May want to change fluid again if it was that black. And the transfer case wouldn't have anything to do with the vibration.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 05:21 AM   #5
volc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 '14 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
About 2 weeks ago I did the fluid change myself and recalibrated with ISTA.
Which version of ISTA do you have? I have 4.14.14 and in my version I was not able to run transfer case recalibration. There is simply no such option in menu.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by volc View Post
Which version of ISTA do you have? I have 4.14.14 and in my version I was not able to run transfer case recalibration. There is simply no such option in menu.
I'm using 4.22.2. There was definitely a transfer case recalibration. From what I recall there was a 9.0 difference when it calibrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Did you check it with ISTA before you changed the fluid in transfer case or after? May be there are 2 different issues going on, transfer case and MAF dirty/vent lines are cracked? Try to troubleshoot one at the time so you can better understand what is wrong. I hope your transfer case is not going out, but just in case there is a great thread about rebuilding it.
I did not check with ISTA, in hindsight I probably should have. I agree with you that I may have 2 issues here. Ill be putting my OEM wheels back on and taking it to the dealer this week to get the vent lines replaced. The car itself isn't under warranty.

As far as a xfer case rebuild goes, i've never done any sort of trans/diff/xfer case work, but I have quite a bit of experience DIY-ing. In the thread he mentioned it was easy if you have xfer case rebuild experience, but it still seemed very simple. I checked the thread and the removal of the xfer case looks to be the toughest part of the rebuild. Can anyone chime in if theyve done the rebuild themselves?

Here's the thread we're referring to:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1721902
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #7
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Get rid of the 21s until you rule out a transfer case issue. TC is very sensitive to uneven tires or wheels at the larger size. Unpopular opinion I know.

Vibration during park may be coils or plugs too. Hard to say.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:01 AM   #8
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

I had same issue and was all spark plugs
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Had similar issues as you, problem was caused by running michelens up front and hankooks in back, cheap hankooks had different circumference even though it should have been same, some tire manufacturers just lie.

Pulling fuse on transfer case is easy way to test if it's causing issues, will force into 2wd mode.

Besides calibration, ISTA also has a full diagnostic test built in for the transfer case. You have to manually add the transfer case as having problems and tell ISTA to build a test plan if you don't have any more codes.

Don't rebuild your transfer case yet until you eliminate more variables. I am at 160k miles on orginal transfer case from previous gen (your transfer case is a updated version of the unit in mine). I was in similar boat as you about 30k miles ago when I almost spent money to rebuild mine before finding true cause. Even if you do all work yourself, your looking at close to a grand in parts and tools.

Get new MAF's too, not worth it to take chances just on cleaning. They can make you chase your tail trying to find issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #10
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Pulling fuse on transfer case is easy way to test if it's causing issues, will force into 2wd mode.
Do you remember which fuse? Only things I have seen is to disconnect the transfer case physically by getting below the car.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Had similar issues as you, problem was caused by running michelens up front and hankooks in back, cheap hankooks had different circumference even though it should have been same, some tire manufacturers just lie.

Besides calibration, ISTA also has a full diagnostic test built in for the transfer case. You have to manually add the transfer case as having problems and tell ISTA to build a test plan if you don't have any more codes.

Don't rebuild your transfer case yet until you eliminate more variables. I am at 160k miles on orginal transfer case from previous gen (your transfer case is a updated version of the unit in mine). I was in similar boat as you about 30k miles ago when I almost spent money to rebuild mine before finding true cause. Even if you do all work yourself, your looking at close to a grand in parts and tools.

Get new MAF's too, not worth it to take chances just on cleaning. They can make you chase your tail trying to find issues.
I appreciate your reply. I have Michelin Pilot SS's all around, 285/35r21 in front and 325/30r21s in the rear. Based on google, the rears are 0.2" smaller diameter than the fronts.

Ill see if I can find the diagnostic test in ISTA, hopefully that'll shed light on what the problem really is...if it is the xfer case.

I was trying to hold off until 60k to do all the fluids & plugs but I may have to move that up to 50k for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #12
vastano
Captain
Rep

Small update. Put the OEM wheels on, checked the codes and it pointed to the MAF sensor again. I ordered 2 of those from FCP.

I also took the X5 to the dealer today and they replaced the cracked vent hoses.

Long story short, I do still have the vibration issue . With the car having the oem wheels on, I’m hoping the MAFs are the issue. If not, plugs and coils with be next as preventative maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 07:15 AM   #13
vastano
Captain
Rep

I replaced the MAFs and car seems to be running smoother but still hesitates and jerks on acceleration.

Yesterday I got on it in sport mode and it bucked pretty hard and then an error popped up with Drivetrain Malfunction along with the car shaking when I came to a stop. I pulled over, turned the car off then restarted and no more shaking. I checked the codes when I got home and it pointed to a cylinder 7 misfire.

I ordered plugs and coils so here’s hoping that’ll solve my issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #14
AychShake
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:
I replaced the MAFs and car seems to be running smoother but still hesitates and jerks on acceleration.

Yesterday I got on it in sport mode and it bucked pretty hard and then an error popped up with Drivetrain Malfunction along with the car shaking when I came to a stop. I pulled over, turned the car off then restarted and no more shaking. I checked the codes when I got home and it pointed to a cylinder 7 misfire.

I ordered plugs and coils so here’s hoping that’ll solve my issue.
Oh man. That sucks that you're now having to replace coils and plugs. Are you atleast going to do them yourself to save in labour costs? I think I'm going to hire the bullet and get replacement MAFs. I may or may not need them, but they're cheap so why not!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AychShake View Post
Oh man. That sucks that you're now having to replace coils and plugs. Are you atleast going to do them yourself to save in labour costs? I think I'm going to hire the bullet and get replacement MAFs. I may or may not need them, but they're cheap so why not!
Oh absolutely. I’m out of warranty and very vehicle savvy so I plan on doing all the work I need to on this. Based on the DIY thread it sounds like it only takes about an hour to change plugs and coils so no big deal especially if it fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #16
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ever figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:09 AM   #17
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrabbi View Post
Ever figure this out?
I ordered new plugs and coils from FCP but they sent me the wrong plugs. Currently waiting on the new plugs to show up, should be here Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #18
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrabbi View Post
Ever figure this out?
I ordered new plugs and coils from FCP but they sent me the wrong plugs. Currently waiting on the new plugs to show up, should be here Thursday.
Yah imma switch my coils and plugs again and see if mine stops... if not, imma make x5 RWD LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 09:05 AM   #19
vastano
Captain
Rep

Well, I finally switched my plugs and coils and I’m happy to report NO MORE ISSUES! The X5 drives like it was meant to again. All 8 plugs were corroded pretty badly.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:47 PM   #20
hakdicted
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Do you still have the TC errors? exact same thing happened to me after TC fluid change.
Appreciate 0