BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-16-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
Winboy
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d M Sport

Intake manifold melted and failed

Just looking to see if anyone else has seen this.

2015 35d Oct 2019 dealership inspected egr cooler. It passed based on BMW Standards. In March 2020 I brought it back as it was twice that I had to top up coolant. They inspected and EGR failed. BMW covered replacement of egr cooler and intake manifold.

Fast forward one year. First week of April 2021 Engine light comes on and two codes come up. When vehicle is idling it smells of exhaust in the cab.

Dealership did a smoke test and found that the intake manifold failed. $2400 later dealership gave me discount and helped me out with the price. Dealership has been very good to date.

Once I came home I looked at my March 2020 and April 2021 paperwork the same intake manifold was replaced. (Outside warranty now)

I kept the part and took photos. The concern I have is that the Egr cooler is failing again and causing superheated soot to burn through the manifold.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had issues with failing intake manifolds post EGR replacement.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

BMW give you 2 year warranty on all the parts and labor done by them, so if had it replaced in March of last year ask for your money back. I did not have exact same issue but in my case they did inspection, did not find much but replaced it "just in case" about 6 months later I got CEL and the found that new EGR cooler was leaking so they replaced it, free of charge. 2 weeks later CEL came back and they replaced EGR valve and intake manifold once again, free of charge, since all these problems were related to my original recall service.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
Winboy
Rep

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately dealer advised that if BMW pays for the repair and you are out of warranty you don't get warranty. Interesting response but Dealer going to bat to see if BMW would cover. We will see what the results are.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winboy View Post
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately dealer advised that if BMW pays for the repair and you are out of warranty you don't get warranty. Interesting response but Dealer going to bat to see if BMW would cover. We will see what the results are.
This is a very weird response which doesn't make any sense, it has nothing to do with your original car warranty, this part was replaced by BMW and should be covered by 2 year warranty parts and labor as well as this recall which specifically mentions the damage to intake manifold.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=18V755

You might need to contact BMW NA and ask for help, you were charged for something BMW specifically said you can not be charged.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #5
Winboy
Rep

Bmw paid for full repairs

My dealer was able to get full coverage from BMW. My bigger concern is that the EGR is failing again causing the coolant and choke (soot) to super heat. Dealership said the tech did inspect the EGR and found no coolant leak. I guess time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:27 PM   #6
alextoma26
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winboy View Post
Just looking to see if anyone else has seen this.

2015 35d Oct 2019 dealership inspected egr cooler. It passed based on BMW Standards. In March 2020 I brought it back as it was twice that I had to top up coolant. They inspected and EGR failed. BMW covered replacement of egr cooler and intake manifold.

Fast forward one year. First week of April 2021 Engine light comes on and two codes come up. When vehicle is idling it smells of exhaust in the cab.

Dealership did a smoke test and found that the intake manifold failed. $2400 later dealership gave me discount and helped me out with the price. Dealership has been very good to date.

Once I came home I looked at my March 2020 and April 2021 paperwork the same intake manifold was replaced. (Outside warranty now)

I kept the part and took photos. The concern I have is that the Egr cooler is failing again and causing superheated soot to burn through the manifold.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had issues with failing intake manifolds post EGR replacement.
Hi
I have a similar problem. Egr cooler changed in 2022 and now, September 2023, the intake manifold is melted!! Apparently, the recall didn't work out well! They still have the same problem! Only that now they say the recall was done and there is nothing they can do! We pay!! Or we go with them into court!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:28 PM   #7
alextoma26
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35D

Hi
I have a similar problem. Egr cooler changed in 2022 and now, September 2023, the intake manifold is melted!! Apparently, the recall didn't work out well! They still have the same problem! Only that now they say the recall was done and there is nothing they can do! We pay!! Or we go with them into court!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 04:38 PM   #8
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What exactly was done in 2022? What parts were replaced?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 09:09 AM   #9
danasn
Rep
Drives: E70d F15d

Everyone with a repeating issues should file a complaint with NHTSA. That's the only way we'll get issues covered and fixed.
Even if you already paid for it. File a complaint, keep the receipt. At some point they will issue the recall and reimburse you.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Appreciate 0