Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkacmaz View Post
Good or bad?
I have Cutouts in front of my muffler which sounds so much better than stock (No Xpipe). I'm looking to get my setup louder and thought about removing the resonators and adding Xpipe
Raspy is by definition harsh-sounding. It's a taste issue.

If you expect a deep V8 rumble like in American muscle cars, it is very far from it and it sounds more like a pop-corn 4-banger ricer exhaust.

But if you like loud pops-bangs-cracks etc. all the time accompanied with a high pitch exhaust noise, then you may like it. Just lift her up and disconnect the exhaust all the way up front and listen to how it will sound.

To me, it does not match the character of the 50i.
Hmmm i think I'll give it a try and see how it turns out, worst case I'll put the resonators bsck. Thank you for your answer!
Appreciate 1
hufington3117.00
      02-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #772
Gkacmaz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

So I went ahead and got my resonators deleted and my Xpipe welded in. The car hasn't gotten much louder if at all. The sound has become more of a racing V8 (if that makes sense) and less of a American Muscle V8. Shift pops and Bangs are mostly gone... unfortunately I personally liked it. My muffler guy told me that my muffler still eats a lot of the sound (I have two cutouts in front of my muffler welded in). There is noticable drone at around 1200 but nothing crazy, once I close the Valves there's no drone at all and sounds completely Stock
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:54 AM   #773
adonnan
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E91

Has anyone with catless downpipes added a universal high flow cat further downstream? Maybe to replace the resonators? Or I may just pony up and sell my catless version for some high-flow catted downpipes. The smell is getting old :P
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 09:45 PM   #774
MW50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive50i

So this week I got the mid resonator/muffler taken off plus put an x-pipe under that, sounds better than just the muffler delete. So now the exhaust is completely straight behind the cats. I love the turbo whistle. Here's a little clip too

https://youtube.com/shorts/tiHKf-nfRbI?feature=share
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 09:37 AM   #775
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW50i View Post
So this week I got the mid resonator/muffler taken off plus put an x-pipe under that, sounds better than just the muffler delete. So now the exhaust is completely straight behind the cats. I love the turbo whistle. Here's a little clip too

Awesome. Can you provide details on the X pipe?
      07-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #776
MW50i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Quote:

Quote:
The X-pipe was a magnaflow x-pipe that I got on Amazon because the Magnaflow website didn't have the proper size. The stock pipe was 2.75" but the 3" x-pipe was too wide to fit in the space so I purchased the 2.5". Here's the link:

Magnaflow 10791 Tru - X Stainless Steel 2.5" Exhaust Pipe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CCDNSW...UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #777
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
I know you are trying to sell your X5, but if you want a free flowing quality X-pipe matched in size to the F15 50i exhaust tubing size, you need to make your own, or have one made.

I don't know how well made the magnaflows are, but the generic stamped versions that looks like the magnaflow, are quite restrictive and doesn't come in a 2.75" size as pointed out a few times.

If you look back at my posts earlier in this thread, I have pictures showing how inside of a generic stamped 2.5" version, has crimped tubes, making it less than 2" inside. (so I made my own out of 2.75" SS 45° bends
If our vehicles were not turbo charged, a stamped version like I bought and rejected, would be a bottleneck. Due to our turbos, it's less of an issue, but does affect the exhaust flow negatively...
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #778
sKitZ0
Rep
Drives: 2015 BmwX3 28i

thinking about doing this mod once i get my 50i
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 03:56 PM   #779
Uno Mas
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Muffler Bypass

I know this is an old thread, but I have read this with great interest. I own a 2015 X5 50.i MSport and wanted just a touch more sound. I am a bit older so the boy racer straight pipe was not for me.
My car before the BMW was an '07 Porsche 911 and I put a Fister Exhaust on it which is essentially a bypass around the muffler. I loved the change in tone.
Putting around town there is not much pressure as most the exhaust goes thru the muffler. Put it in Sport and the exhaust is starting to bypass the muffler for a nice subdued V8 sound. It wouldn't turn your head around on the street, but if you know what a v8 sounds like you would know there is a V8 in my truck which is perfect for me
2 hours in the shop, $275 out the door, and a nice little change
FWIW...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:12 PM   #780
Mikegfx4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno Mas View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I have read this with great interest. I own a 2015 X5 50.i MSport and wanted just a touch more sound. I am a bit older so the boy racer straight pipe was not for me.
My car before the BMW was an '07 Porsche 911 and I put a Fister Exhaust on it which is essentially a bypass around the muffler. I loved the change in tone.
Putting around town there is not much pressure as most the exhaust goes thru the muffler. Put it in Sport and the exhaust is starting to bypass the muffler for a nice subdued V8 sound. It wouldn't turn your head around on the street, but if you know what a v8 sounds like you would know there is a V8 in my truck which is perfect for me
2 hours in the shop, $275 out the door, and a nice little change
FWIW...
How does it sound? Can you send a video?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 01:23 AM   #781
PGAHPBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 xdrive50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwMthusiast View Post
Finally found time to do this. 3" X-Pipe, 3" Mandrel Bent tail sections w/ v-bands, 4" quad tips.

Attachment 2092222

Attachment 2092223

Did you keep your stock resonators front side of the x-pipe? I did a muffler delete with an x pipe and both of the front stock resonators were removed. It is insanely loud and lots of drone at lower rpms.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 09:58 PM   #782
PGAHPBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 xdrive50i MSport

Quote:

Do you have a lot of drone when cruising? I did a muffler delete on my 50i and shop removed the resonators when installing the x pipe. It’s silly loud and I have a lot of drone so am thinking of going back to at least welding the resonators back on.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 12:46 AM   #783
MW50i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGAHPBMW View Post
Quote:

Do you have a lot of drone when cruising? I did a muffler delete on my 50i and shop removed the resonators when installing the x pipe. It's silly loud and I have a lot of drone so am thinking of going back to at least welding the resonators back on.
Yeah some drone but it's not unbearable. I feel like the x-pipe removed the raspiness of the exhaust and gave it more of an airy tin sound. It's like you can hear air getting trapped in the stainless steel
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #784
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a lot of drone when cruising? I did a muffler delete on my 50i and shop removed the resonators when installing the x pipe. It’s silly loud and I have a lot of drone so am thinking of going back to at least welding the resonators back on.
Quote:
Yeah some drone but it's not unbearable. I feel like the x-pipe removed the raspiness of the exhaust and gave it more of an airy tin sound. It's like you can hear air getting trapped in the stainless steel
I still have my resonators, also installed some generic straight through resonators/mufflers in place of old muffler. I do get some drone at certain rpms, but that small amount of drone really doesn't bother me.

I don't feel I have any "airy tin sound" at all. System is fairly quiet at normal driving, but definitely deep rumble when stepping on it.

I'm guessing the quality of the X-pipe has some to do with how it sounds too. Some X-pipes are cheaply made, not smooth flowing, and I'm wondering how that affects the sound? Also going to a smaller pipe just before the X using 2.5" instead of matching the stock 2.75" diameter, causes turbulence inside the X, not a smooth flow.

I'm by no means an exhaust expert, but anytime you create restrictions in flow, be it sudden change to smaller or larger diameter pipe or obstructions in the flow, it will affect the speed of the exhaust, and thus can affect the sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #785
MW50i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I still have my resonators, also installed some generic straight through resonators/mufflers in place of old muffler. I do get some drone at certain rpms, but that small amount of drone really doesn't bother me.

I don't feel I have any "airy tin sound" at all. System is fairly quiet at normal driving, but definitely deep rumble when stepping on it.

I'm guessing the quality of the X-pipe has some to do with how it sounds too. Some X-pipes are cheaply made, not smooth flowing, and I'm wondering how that affects the sound? Also going to a smaller pipe just before the X using 2.5" instead of matching the stock 2.75" diameter, causes turbulence inside the X, not a smooth flow.

I'm by no means an exhaust expert, but anytime you create restrictions in flow, be it sudden change to smaller or larger diameter pipe or obstructions in the flow, it will affect the speed of the exhaust, and thus can affect the sound.
I went with Magnaflow 2.5" x-pipe since at the time I couldn't get the 2.75"
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #786
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went with Magnaflow 2.5" x-pipe since at the time I couldn't get the 2.75"
There are no 2.75" X-pipes unless you make one yourself, or have one made.
I have found some of the stamped ones, are really crappy made, and have lots of restrictions. They work and help with drone, but they are not free flowing at all.
I bought one of the stamped ones, and it's still sitting on a shelf. I ended up making my own free flowing 2.75" X-pipe out of stainless tubing from Vibrant, and it works great for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #787
MW50i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkacmaz View Post
Very interested in that pneumatische cutout, do you have any pictures and the part?
Sure, below are some pics, this is on an E70 50i, the exhaust is the same between the E70 and F15 with the only difference being slightly different bumper designs. The inner tips are for the stock exhaust and when the cutouts open the exhaust can flow through the muffler, bypassing the restrictive baffling and resonance chambers through the outer tips. Below is a link to the cutouts off amazon. Get the normally closed type if you decide to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Qiilu-Exhaust.../dp/B07Y34JN1R

I will post some audio clips of it soon with the cut-outs open (it is twice as loud as stock with the cut-outs open!). For some reason I always seem to open them whenever I pass a Prius
Where did you send up the wires from the exhaust cutout? Through a grommet? Drilled a hole? Please help lol
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 05:01 AM   #788
Ariamahinfar
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDetailNV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
That makes sense. Plain muffler delete had something missing in the end result/sound, but I couldn't pinpoint what exactly. Possibly X-Pipe is the solution. Will await videos
Thank you!
Yes the sound was quite separated while sounding somewhat mean at WOT. My exhaust guy said that the x-pipe is needed to bring the sound together and smooth things out and cancelled the excess drone during shifts. Apparently the stock mufflers have an internal x-pipe setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Did you take pics? Where along the exhaust path did they weld in the x-pipe? With the muffler removed, the straight pipes were connected/welded to the exhaust tips?
I will take pics after work. I got it done on my lunch break. I took a quick peek and it seems to be welded in to the mid section. I will take a couple shots later.
I just got a 2017 x6 and want to do this do you mind posting the photos or vid?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 03:39 AM   #789
cobrachop
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

I deleted the muffler on a 50i and eventually put it back. The engine sounded good under load but start up and coasting was very droning.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:12 AM   #790
Edwardsc1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 50i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrachop View Post
I deleted the muffler on a 50i and eventually put it back. The engine sounded good under load but start up and coasting was very droning.
Did you add the X-pipe as well before you reverted to stock?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 02:32 PM   #791
BlackBeans
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | F15 X5 50i

i wonder how much sound difference/burbles are gained by just removing the resonators in the mid pipes. I know it's been done before but i've never asked someone straight up how it was. Anyone here tried?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 03:18 PM   #792
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeans View Post
i wonder how much sound difference/burbles are gained by just removing the resonators in the mid pipes. I know it's been done before but i've never asked someone straight up how it was. Anyone here tried?
Minimal. You won't be able to hear inside the car.
Appreciate 0