BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

X5 is down on driver's side - air suspension failure

Hey fellas, I left some light load in X5 locked for a few days and noticed that the driver's side is sagged. I have DHP, so my X5 is equipped with rear air struts. I tried few things with no luck:
1. Unlocking/relocking - the pump works for about 2-3 seconds and stops, level remains the same.
2. I tried driving very carefully and very short distance, no luck.
3. I tried leaving the car idling for 10-15 mins, no results.
4. Finally, I disconnected the level sensors (second picture) and adjusted it manually to force the pump to engage. The passenger side works fine, if I manually adjust the sensor’s arm I can either engage the pump (pump works) or release the air. But the driver’s side doesn’t respond to any adjustments. I also tried swapping the sensors, still passenger side works driver's side is dead.
I’m all out of ideas now and my warranty is expired. I will try disconnecting the battery for 24 hours and see if that works. Or check for blown fuse, but my understanding is that if fuse is blown both sides won’t work…

Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

You'll need to replace the air suspension bag, its most likely developed a slow leak.

The air pump for the air suspension will try to compensate till either the car
--Enters a deep sleep (15-20 mins after lock)
--Battery in reserves

The bag can be purchased at arnott for ~$160/each, and its best to replace both at the same time, it takes 20-30 mins to do and you'll need ISTA-D (bmw diagnostic tool) to deflate the air suspension, do not remove air line from block to deflate air strut.
Appreciate 2
Sedoy675.50
SpeedN866.00
      05-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Thanks Mr.47, quick question: why driver's side won't even attempt to inflate no matter how much I adjust the level sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
You'll need to replace the air suspension bag, its most likely developed a slow leak.

The air pump for the air suspension will try to compensate till either the car
--Enters a deep sleep (15-20 mins after lock)
--Battery in reserves

The bag can be purchased at arnott for ~$160/each, and its best to replace both at the same time, it takes 20-30 mins to do and you'll need ISTA-D (bmw diagnostic tool) to deflate the air suspension, do not remove air line from block to deflate air strut.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Thanks Mr.47, quick question: why driver's side won't even attempt to inflate no matter how much I adjust the level sensor?
That's a good question
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

If I recall the rear air suspension is a dumb/non-adaptive suspension, all it does is just keep it straight ie level and maintain a specific pressure in the air suspension bellow, even if you have DHP, (which DHP uses a rear sway bar that has electric counter-torsion motor to mitigate body roll).

All 4 wheels has level sensor for (even the front axles), reasons why it only works on passenger side is probally uses one sensor to detect level. The air suspension its just for level purpose and nothing else (not for comfort or performance gains)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

The rear sensors have like an arm which is attached to the subframe and triggers the pump to inflate if it is too close (vehicle low). Both sensors are the same and work independently I swapped them to ensure that they both work, which they do. I don't think it's possible to have only one sensor for level like you described. You need both rear sensor to level. I really hope that it's a blown fuse, it makes sense to have fuses on both side since they work independently...

Quote:
If I recall the rear air suspension is a dumb/non-adaptive suspension, all it does is just keep it straight ie level and maintain a specific pressure in the air suspension bellow, even if you have DHP, (which DHP uses a rear sway bar that has electric counter-torsion motor to mitigate body roll).

All 4 wheels has level sensor for (even the front axles), reasons why it only works on passenger side is probally uses one sensor to detect level. The air suspension its just for level purpose and nothing else (not for comfort or performance gains)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M 40d

Quote:
The rear sensors have like an arm which is attached to the subframe and triggers the pump to inflate if it is too close (vehicle low). Both sensors are the same and work independently I swapped them to ensure that they both work, which they do. I don't think it's possible to have only one sensor for level like you described. You need both rear sensor to level. I really hope that it's a blown fuse, it makes sense to have fuses on both side since they work independently...

Quote:

Hope it is just the airbag. I had similar problem with previous car's air suspension (not BMW) and left it too long to address, and burned out the compressor. Compressor should only have to work to adjust levelling with load changes, but was being over-worked to maintain pressure in leaking air bag. Eventually the compressor gave up. Turned it into a bigger job
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #8
Raypep
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Macan S

This scares me in getting air suspension! I hope you get this resolved swiftly/cost effectively!

-R
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
turboawd
Banned
Rep

So is there one compressor yet two different air circuits? Left and right? Not plumbed together?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:53 PM   #10
absolutegtr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-sport

One compressor. If you can get the airbag to hold some air. Spray some soapy water on it and you will see bubbles.

Either way. You are over thinking it. Just replace both rear bags and be on your way!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:50 AM   #11
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ems/1VnXYfbVeg
Appreciate 2
Sedoy675.50
SpeedN866.00
      05-22-2018, 12:53 AM   #12
turboawd
Banned
Rep

does the compressor stop as soon as one bag levels the switch? how do the two bags balance themselves so one is not inflated more than the other?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #13
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Yes compressor stops as soon as passenger side reaches the height. There is a level sensor on both sides, so each sensors controls how much air each bag receives. The problem is that I can't get driver's side level sensor to engage the compressor. But the passenger side lever sensor engages compressor fine. And both sensors are functional because i swapped them. Today I'm going to try to completely deflate passenger's side by manually adjusting the lever sensor, and let the compressor to inflate it back to see if driver side receives any air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
does the compressor stop as soon as one bag levels the switch? how do the two bags balance themselves so one is not inflated more than the other?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #14
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
So is there one compressor yet two different air circuits? Left and right? Not plumbed together?
Correct

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #15
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the info, any ideas which software I need to perform ride-height calibration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post

Last edited by Sedoy; 05-22-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #16
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Ista D
Appreciate 1
Sedoy675.50
      05-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #17
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Ive had both of my air shocks develop leaks/holes in them and had to replace them.

1st one around 38k. Dealer replaced under warranty.

2nd one at 41k I had to replace since I was out of warranty at that point. I used an Arnott one. Very easy to replace yourself.

I think the air shocks are a wear item and need to be replaced every so often. I had slightly different symptoms though. Each time if I left the car for a few hours it would be sagged but pumped back up after about 30 sec.

Have you had your car in for service recently? I noticed mine developed leaks after the rear end was lifted off the ground. Probably the rubber moving against itself and maxing out.
      05-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #18
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Actually I did lift it up to replace stock wheels, should have inspected it back then. Damn germans can't build something that will last over 100k, at least it's easy to replace. A friend of mine has Lexus LX570 with complex hydraulic lift suspension well over 150k and 0 issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilmorecg View Post
Ive had both of my air shocks develop leaks/holes in them and had to replace them.

1st one around 38k. Dealer replaced under warranty.

2nd one at 41k I had to replace since I was out of warranty at that point. I used an Arnott one. Very easy to replace yourself.

I think the air shocks are a wear item and need to be replaced every so often. I had slightly different symptoms though. Each time if I left the car for a few hours it would be sagged but pumped back up after about 30 sec.

Have you had your car in for service recently? I noticed mine developed leaks after the rear end was lifted off the ground. Probably the rubber moving against itself and maxing out.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #19
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Actually I did lift it up to replace stock wheels, should have inspected it back then. Damn germans can't build something that will last over 100k, at least it's easy to replace. A friend of mine has Lexus LX570 with complex hydraulic lift suspension well over 150k and 0 issues...
My neighbor’s Grand Cherokee with adaptive air suspension last over 100k miles as well, and he drives off-road nearly every two weeks.
German cars are known to be over engineered, and have poor reliability. But when you fire their engines, and take out their cars for a drive... you know why all these dumb things they do may be forgiven again and again ... and again
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #20
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Bmw are built pretty solid, except for the rubber they use. Many failures are due to the rubber bmw uses. Bad valve stem seals. Valve cover gaskets. Air springs. Control arm joints. Door seals. Sunroof seals. All due to bad rubber. Do they do it on purpose?
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      05-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #21
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
That's probably what caused it based on my experience. Its like once they get worn a bit and you max them out by lifting the car the wear turns into a tear/crack/hole.

Its probably the age of the rubber too. I dont think it would have happened on mine if it was a newer part.

Seems like mine went out right at around 40k. Im not going to own it at another 40k so hopefully I wont have to replace mine again.

Also, I didn't do a search for part numbers this time like I usually do but I think you can get it cheaper elsewhere. ex: https://www.amazon.com/Arnott-A-2642...ct_top?ie=UTF8
      05-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #22
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Got it working... After all I think Mr.47 was right... The system is "stupid" and only one the passenger's side level sensor engages the pump to inflate. So I manually adjusted passenger's sensor to the highest setting forcing it to deflate this side completely. Once it got low and in level with the drivers side I attached the sensor back to its original position, pump engaged and inflated BOTH sides equally to the normal level. So it looks like driver's side sensor just controls the valve for this side and the passenger's sensor controls both the valve and the pump. I'm not sure if it's designed like that and if my system operates correctly but I'm pretty sure both sensor are functional. Also both sensors are identical, same part number.
I wish somebody with air suspension could repeat my test to verify that driver's side sensor doesn't engage the pump...

Quote:

Last edited by Sedoy; 05-23-2018 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0