BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
New Motor under CPO warranty - wow

So I bought my CPO s35i X5 in November. Car had 48k when I got it. It now has about 64,000 miles.

About a week ago I met up with my wife for dinner and on the way home we were both in our respective cars and I had my windows down and I noticed as she was alongside me and pulled away from the stoplight there was a strange ticking noise that was coming from her car. I'm not a mechanic but I know a decent amount of our Cars it sounded like something was wrong like a clanking noise or almost like something was loose and rattling onthe car. I thought hey somethings loose maybe it's like something on the undercarriage needs to get bolted down so we took it into the dealership today and dropped it off for a diagnostic.

The service advisor just contacted me and said there's something wrong in the bottom end of the motor and they're going to replace the entire engine under my CPO warranty and they need the car for about a week.

WTF! I always thought that the in-line six engines were relatively reliable so I'm wondering if this is something common in these engines I'm unaware of ??

and then the other thing is wow thank goodness I had a CPO if I had bought this car off warranty I'd be eating a killer repair bill. This must be like a $20,000 plus job?!?

Anyone else out there have this kind of experience?? I have not had any problems with the way it drives I just got back from a trip over memorial day weekend on the freeway and put 500 miles on the car freeway passing plenty of power in the car drove great.

Now I get told I need a new engine. This is my first BMW. The last time I had to replace an engine in a car was as a teenager with an RX-7 and that's a rotary problem....

Wow
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Has happened w/other CPOers, not necessarily replacing the whole engine block.
CPO does not mean immune to problems!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Please share the root cause once the service advisor documents the details.

Some N55 engines suffered from premature connecting rod bearing wear.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:57 AM   #4
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Stuff like this happens. Even a relatively reliable engine can have some unlucky ones. Also it's hard to say what happened to the engine before you bought the car, like was it well maintained?
      05-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Stuff like this happens. Even a relatively reliable engine can have some unlucky ones. Also it's hard to say what happened to the engine before you bought the car, like was it well maintained?
Dealer gave me a brand new X5 xDrive 4.0 as a loaner while mine is being fixed ! Only 300 miles on it!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
Dealer gave me a brand new X5 xDrive 4.0 as a loaner while mine is being fixed ! Only 300 miles on it!
Which dealership are you working with?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #7
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Very true. As tried and true as the 35i is, unfortunately, nothing is 100% bulletproof.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #8
Fatty Duckets
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
So I bought my CPO s35i X5 in November. Car had 48k when I got it. It now has about 64,000 miles.

About a week ago I met up with my wife for dinner and on the way home we were both in our respective cars and I had my windows down and I noticed as she was alongside me and pulled away from the stoplight there was a strange ticking noise that was coming from her car. I'm not a mechanic but I know a decent amount of our Cars it sounded like something was wrong like a clanking noise or almost like something was loose and rattling onthe car. I thought hey somethings loose maybe it's like something on the undercarriage needs to get bolted down so we took it into the dealership today and dropped it off for a diagnostic.

The service advisor just contacted me and said there's something wrong in the bottom end of the motor and they're going to replace the entire engine under my CPO warranty and they need the car for about a week.

WTF! I always thought that the in-line six engines were relatively reliable so I'm wondering if this is something common in these engines I'm unaware of ??

and then the other thing is wow thank goodness I had a CPO if I had bought this car off warranty I'd be eating a killer repair bill. This must be like a $20,000 plus job?!?

Anyone else out there have this kind of experience?? I have not had any problems with the way it drives I just got back from a trip over memorial day weekend on the freeway and put 500 miles on the car freeway passing plenty of power in the car drove great.

Now I get told I need a new engine. This is my first BMW. The last time I had to replace an engine in a car was as a teenager with an RX-7 and that's a rotary problem....

Wow
Wow is right! I can surely attest to this exact situation!

Recently, I had the same CPO motor replacement happen to me for my diesel f15! I initially went in to get new fuel injectors when the tech heard what he described as a "low engine noise". Being new to the diesel motor, I never heard a noise, nor would I even know what to listen for. Eventually, after the tech and BMWNA going back and forth attempting to diagnose the issue, they decided to give me a new motor. The end result was a potential rod issue (BMWNA will not confirm or let their techs break down a motor per the dealership's comminucation to me). Obviously, this was very interesting news, considering the reason I bought the diesel was for its reputation. At the end of the day, and fortunately for the tech's ear, I have a new motor.

Last edited by Fatty Duckets; 06-01-2019 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      04-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #9
harrysahi42
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Duckets View Post
Wow is right! I can surely attest to this exact situation!

Recently, I had the same CPO motor replacement happen to me for my diesel f15! I initially went in to get new fuel injectors when the tech heard what he described as a "low engine noise". Being new to the diesel motor, I never heard a noise, nor would I even know what to listen for. Eventually, after the tech and BMWNA going back and forth attempting to diagnose the issue, they decided to give me a new motor. The end result was a potential rod issue (BMWNA will not confirm or let their techs break down a motor per the dealership's comminucation to me). Obviously, this was very interesting news, considering the reason I bought the diesel was for its reputation. At the end of the day, and fortunately for the tech's ear, I have a new motor.
Hi,

I am in a similar situation as you. Did you end up getting a brand new motor or a remanufactured used motor?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:23 AM   #10
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Dealership will use new parts, they won't use rebuild engine. Might replace just the engine block but used, no way.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #11
harrysahi42
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Dealership will use new parts, they won't use rebuild engine. Might replace just the engine block but used, no way.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:45 PM   #12
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

what year is your x5?
      04-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #13
harrysahi42
Private
Rep