BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
burnurass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i MSport

Bimmertech Carplay MMI Plus

For those of us with the older Nav system (NBT), I found a solution for adding carplay to the system. I have a 2014 F15 X5 for reference.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...ts/carplay-mmi

They just came out with the new version which is FULL SCREEN Apple Carplay.
It works pretty seamlessly and as advertised.
Once you plug in your phone, it switches to the Carplay screen. To switch back you can hit the menu button, radio, or Nav button on the iDrive controller.
To get back to Carplay, preset #8 automatically triggers Carplay or you can hold down the MENU button for a couple seconds.

In general I like the Carplay concept and have it in my other cars as well, interestingly enough all retrofitted. I guess the cars are all too old.
I'm probably going to not renew my subscription for the traffic info and online services from BMW now that I have this. $100 savings a year!

I had a local shop that I've used for years install it for me.
Some pics of it in action are attached
Attached Images

Last edited by burnurass; 06-05-2019 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
maDjzo861.50
MJRPA28.50
      06-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Did you consider the options from Avin, Unichip, or Joyeauto? This seems like a very good option, albeit wired.

Thanks for the write-up.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
burnurass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Did you consider the options from Avin, Unichip, or Joyeauto? This seems like a very good option, albeit wired.

Thanks for the write-up.
I feel more confident with BimmerTech as a company vs the Unichip and Avin. Never heard of the Joyeauto.
I am more comfortable with BimmerTech customer service wise. They have some great products and the know how more importantly.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
maDjzo
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: G30

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Nice! MMI Plus also offers a higher screen resolution compared to previous gen as well if I'm not mistaken. Just to confirm, still using factory mic yes? I think given it's full screen now, with factory mic this might be the best wired retrofit out, I might pull the trigger on this!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

What is up with the front and rear camera options which adds several more hundred dollars? I already have the front/ rear and surround cameras so I don't need these?

Can you let us know the difficulty of retrofitting this? Is it a whole new display and just plug and play module?

Thanks
      06-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi BMW X5 F15 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I just got this installed and the UI quality of the carplay is subpar. You can see the pixels around google maps icon. Also the audio qulity is very poor. now music sounds like an AM radio. Lastly, the OEM interface has the edges slightliy cut off.

Support told me that the dip switches might be wrong but i dont believe that since it was installed by Kies Motorsports who know what they are doing.

I'll try checking the dip switches this weekend and see.

I've asked for a refund. Still waiting for their reply
      06-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #7
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

I know they are just pictures but it looks nice in OP's pix. I wonder if others are experiencing what eldogo is.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Here are some shots
Attached Images

06-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogo View Post
I just got this installed and the UI quality of the carplay is subpar. You can see the pixels around google maps icon. Also the audio qulity is very poor. now music sounds like an AM radio. Lastly, the OEM interface has the edges slightliy cut off.

Support told me that the dip switches might be wrong but i dont believe that since it was installed by Kies Motorsports who know what they are doing.

I'll try checking the dip switches this weekend and see.

I've asked for a refund. Still waiting for their reply
Which one did you purchase? MMI or MMI Plus?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #10
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnurass View Post
For those of us with the older Nav system (NBT), I found a solution for adding carplay to the system. I have a 2014 F15 X5 for reference.

Once you plug in your phone, it switches to the Carplay screen. To switch back you can hit the menu button, radio, or Nav button on the iDrive controller.
To get back to Carplay, preset #8 automatically triggers Carplay or you can hold down the MENU button for a couple seconds.

In general I like the Carplay concept and have it in my other cars as well, interestingly enough all retrofitted. I guess the cars are all too old.
I'm probably going to not renew my subscription for the traffic info and online services from BMW now that I have this. $100 savings a year!

Already discussed in the CarPlay threads but good to see someone actually got one. Hope you like it.

Only fine will tell for quality and issues. It is a bit more expensive than all other options. For the price I prefer the Android route. Oem screen is only 480p so it's not going to be great.

New 9.0 android is a 720p screen so I'm looking forward to that but this does cost more than all others. I also prefer the stand alone Waze and google maps function via hot spot to phone. No need to plug in and I can charge my phone via 2.4a vice 1.0a which is default car and all other plug in options.

But do agree the bimmer tech customer support is better than most given its American based but if the product is solid then I should never need to deal with them lol. I'm waiting on my unit from Canada at the moment.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
MMI Plus
      06-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #12
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:

Already discussed in the CarPlay threads but good to see someone actually got one. Hope you like it.
A bit of good news from Apple: the release of iOS 13 this fall, and the overhaul of CarPlay after 5 long painful years. At least we have something to look forward to. It can't get any worse. Or can it? We'll see...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
What is up with the front and rear camera options which adds several more hundred dollars? I already have the front/ rear and surround cameras so I don't need these?

Can you let us know the difficulty of retrofitting this? Is it a whole new display and just plug and play module?

Thanks
It's super easy to install man. Maybe 30 min it you know how to take off your dash. 6 T20 screws and 5 connectors. Then 9 plugs or so on the iDrive unit. Then just plug and play.

The unichip module fit perfectly flat on the bottom in the back so if it's the same size as the bimmertech module then it should fit the same.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
Kzang3238.50
      06-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #14
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The good news: the release of Apple iOS 13 this fall, and the overhaul of CarPlay after 5 long painful years. At least we have something to look forward to...
May be a dumb question but will this update change current CarPlay modules? Or will they need to be updated. Does CarPlay firmware get pushed from your iOS device?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #15
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The good news: the release of Apple iOS 13 this fall, and the overhaul of CarPlay after 5 long painful years. At least we have something to look forward to...
May be a dumb question but will this update change current CarPlay modules? Or will they need to be updated. Does CarPlay firmware get pushed from your iOS device?
All very good questions! But at this point in time, it looks like I may sit on the fence a little longer now and see how things play out...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #16
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:

Only fine will tell for quality and issues. It is a bit more expensive than all other options. For the price I prefer the Android route. Oem screen is only 480p so it's not going to be great.

New 9.0 android is a 720p screen so I'm looking forward to that but this does cost more than all others. I also prefer the stand alone Waze and google maps function via hot spot to phone. No need to plug in and I can charge my phone via 2.4a vice 1.0a which is default car and all other plug in options.

But do agree the bimmer tech customer support is better than most given its American based but if the product is solid then I should never need to deal with them lol. I'm waiting on my unit from Canada at the moment.
But.. it does AndroidAuto as well.
Attached Images

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #17
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
MMI Plus
Ok thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #18
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Why bother with Android Auto when you can have 9.0 Full Android.and IDrive 7 and touchscreen for the NBTs out there. HD at that. All for a lesser price. I got that email from B Tech.and was like GTFOH. lmao.. On another note im not bashing but iff you can return it , return it. Carplay will be wireless on the new one.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 05:47 PM   #19
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
Why bother with Android Auto when you can have 9.0 Full Android.and IDrive 7 and touchscreen for the NBTs out there. HD at that. All for a lesser price. I got that email from B Tech.and was like GTFOH. lmao.. On another note im not bashing but iff you can return it , return it. Carplay will be wireless on the new one.
Do you have a link?
      06-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #20
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a link?
It was discussed over here
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1566062&page=4

They have it right now but it’s in China
Https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302...38473c00sD2fDI

They also have it right now but it’s in Canada
https://4x4shop.ca/product/2015-2016...al-nbt-system/

They have the Android 8.1 with Mock ID6 for $380. but will be getting the newer version any day now. As they all seem to get it from China 🇨🇳. And they are always considerably cheaper in price alone and it’s based in the US.
https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-x5-x6-...on-system.html
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #21
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

But honestly, considering the price points and what you get from B Tech , B retro and alike, I’m waiting on Avin to get it. We’re getting everything you can want and more not including stock background. If I don’t hear back from them on a date by Friday, I’ll order from Aliexpress as I must have this in my car by the 4th. July.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #22
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

I am leaning towards the Avin as well but the biggest holdup for me now is the announcement about iOS 13. Maverik259 asked about this in another CarPlay retrofit thread but I am repeating it here bc it is very important to me.
Appreciate 0