BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #45
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Given the high cost of retrofitting an evo with atm, they'll likely be unwilling to absorb these costs and will offer owners a mug and a cap as compensation
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #46
unplugged216
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Dinan, BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I also spoke to BMW Customer Relations. Here are my notes:

- Services currently with an active subscription will not expire or be disconnected earlier (at least that's what I heard after asking twice)
- Services with an expiration date will NOT be renewable
- BMW has not issued any internal guidance about helping customers absorb the cost of any upgrades. This is still being evaluated.

In short - letters requesting some assistance will be helpful since the policy is still being developed.

Not much can be done until a formal policy is available for examination.
Ah. I am sensing some sway in what they are releasing. The rep I spoke with including the emails I received claimed nothing was going to be done and they were simply not going to consider another path.

Your notes seem promising and I am keen to see what they do. BMW has already shown a trend of replacement. It would be almost impossible for them to win a suit if they so chose to fight this.

In regards to services with an active subscription.... I know for a fact that they are actively canceling subscriptions. They forcibly disconnected my service refunded the remaining balance. After speaking with them, they claimed it was not working in my vehicle. Which is false, it was working fine and I asked how they came to that summation, no response.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:02 PM   #47
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
Given the high cost of retrofitting an evo with atm, they'll likely be unwilling to absorb these costs and will offer owners a mug and a cap as compensation
Well I would consider paying something if they would make this an official option to purchase.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #48
teke
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

I think the more noise we make the more attention it will attract. I've spoken with both the connected team and the customer relations. I think it may also be helpful to engage the dealership as well.

It will become increasingly difficult for BMW to ignore if they are inundated with calls, emails and letters.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:07 AM   #49
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
I was browsing the Internet last night an came across several different model forums on here, owners bringing up the same concerns towards this issue (old and new)

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...955&page=2

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230815

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/h...e-away.935284/

I'm still hopeful... 🤷🏽
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #50
unplugged216
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Dinan, BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
I was browsing the Internet last night an came across several different model forums on here, owners bringing up the same concerns towards this issue (old and new)

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1644955&page=2

I'm still hopeful... 🤷🏽
Good points. However, BMW already solved those situations. The provided retrofits and or gift cards. This go around they are claiming they are going to do nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #51
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Keep calling them guys! Just got off the phone with BMW rep and he told me that they are now looking into options and they might try to offer something. This a big list of cars using the NBT unit with 3G connection so the only way to get things going is to bother BMW NA.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #52
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatison View Post
Quote:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...955&page=2

I'm still hopeful... 🤷🏽
Good points. However, BMW already solved those situations. The provided retrofits and or gift cards. This go around they are claiming they are going to do nothing.
Well it all depends who you speak to, because they are clearly not on the same sheet of music. Like my original post stayed, I was told they would take care of their customer base.. while others have been told differently. Until the official word comes out saying

"Hear ye, Hear ye... you is screwed"

... I'm still hopeful 🤷🏽
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:46 PM   #53
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Keep calling them guys! Just got off the phone with BMW rep and he told me that they are now looking into options and they might try to offer something. This a big list of cars using the NBT unit with 3G connection so the only way to get things going is to bother BMW NA.
Exactly...

Not sure anyone would have bought these models, and have waited until later down the road if we were told "in 9 years" (MY2014) some of these features that we're showcasing now will not work on your vehicle 🤣

I will write them again today for sure, this time to have written evidence.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #54
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Upgraded part for 4G

If you visit RealOEM you’ll find that the replacement TCU for pre-8/16 F15’s is the same part as for 8/16 and later builds and carries the designation as 4G. If you click into the part number, you’ll note that this latest part number supersedes several previous TCUs. Checking around it appears that this part sells for ~$600.

I can’t find anyone that has swapped out the earlier TCU for the later one. I might be the first. But first I’ll drop the Connected group an mail and see if they can shed some light on this.

BMW might be balking at making F15 owners aware of this solution as they might not have a similar solution for other models. I have no clue actually.

I’ll post something back if I learn anything.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #55
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly...

Not sure anyone would have bought these models, and have waited until later down the road if we were told "in 9 years" (MY2014) some of these features that we're showcasing now will not work on your vehicle ��

I will write them again today for sure, this time to have written evidence.
Write them, call them, give them hard time about them poorly handling this and not even sending any sort of notice. More sh they get from customers is better. I told they guy that my wife drives 2011 Mercedes and it still has RTTI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post
If you visit RealOEM you’ll find that the replacement TCU for pre-8/16 F15’s is the same part as for 8/16 and later builds and carries the designation as 4G. If you click into the part number, you’ll note that this latest part number supersedes several previous TCUs. Checking around it appears that this part sells for ~$600.

I can’t find anyone that has swapped out the earlier TCU for the later one. I might be the first. But first I’ll drop the Connected group an mail and see if they can shed some light on this.

BMW might be balking at making F15 owners aware of this solution as they might not have a similar solution for other models. I have no clue actually.

I’ll post something back if I learn anything.
It seems like the main issue is that BMW won't attach the new ATM unit to your VIN, in the retrofit it specifically says that you need to use the donor VIN to connect the services, so I think that even if you try to order this part number they won't sell it to you unless you provide the VIN with matching build date. But keep us posted, I am curious about your results.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #56
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It seems like the main issue is that BMW won't attach the new ATM unit to your VIN, in the retrofit it specifically says that you need to use the donor VIN to connect the services, so I think that even if you try to order this part number they won't sell it to you unless you provide the VIN with matching build date. But keep us posted, I am curious about your results.
The new TCU would be a new part, not attached to any VIN. I’ve got some emails back and forth with them. I don’t think they really want to mess with this, but I’m pressing them.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #57
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The new TCU would be a new part, not attached to any VIN. I’ve got some emails back and forth with them. I don’t think they really want to mess with this, but I’m pressing them.
It must be attached to your VIN, how would you connect it to the Connected Drive w/o VIN? From what I understand in order to get updated you need new head unit, ATM module and ATM wire. That is the main problem that NBT uses 3G TCM unit, and has GPS antenna on the back of the HU. NBT EVO uses ATM 4G LTE unit for positioning and data. I am not sure if it is possible to make NBT unit to work with ATM module.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #58
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It must be attached to your VIN, how would you connect it to the Connected Drive w/o VIN? From what I understand in order to get updated you need new head unit, ATM module and ATM wire. That is the main problem that NBT uses 3G TCM unit, and has GPS antenna on the back of the HU. NBT EVO uses ATM 4G LTE unit for positioning and data. I am not sure if it is possible to make NBT unit to work with ATM module.
If today you fried your TCU and went to the dealer to have it replaced, the part he would use would be a new TCU and it would be 4G compatible. At that point in time, the dealer would register your new TCU with your vehicle's VIN. Check part numbers and part descriptions for replacement TCU's for pre 8/16 build X5s. Their descriptions indicate that they are 4G. This part superseded the previous all previous TCUs.

To make this solution work, in so far as I can presently determine, would require that the work be done by the dealer. My CSR is a fairly nice guy and I'll probably give him a call and see what he says.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #59
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did a bit more research. Note in the parts list that the ATM is only present in vehicles with the wifi hot spot option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:05 PM   #60
teke
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Quote:
If today you fried your TCU and went to the dealer to have it replaced, the part he would use would be a new TCU and it would be 4G compatible. At that point in time, the dealer would register your new TCU with your vehicle's VIN. Check part numbers and part descriptions for replacement TCU's for pre 8/16 build X5s. Their descriptions indicate that they are 4G. This part superseded the previous all previous TCUs.

To make this solution work, in so far as I can presently determine, would require that the work be done by the dealer. My CSR is a fairly nice guy and I'll probably give him a call and see what he says.
please keep us updated....and one point of clarification. Was it 8/16 and newer or 3/16 and newer. I thought it was the later, but i may have mis-read somewhere
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #61
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke View Post
please keep us updated....and one point of clarification. Was it 8/16 and newer or 3/16 and newer. I thought it was the later, but i may have mis-read somewhere
RealOEM indicates that the originally installed TCU part number changed with 8/16 production. Now they all use the later TCU.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:11 PM   #62
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

I give up. Way too many conflicting parts lists and information. There’s too big a market for someone not to figure this upgrade out, but I officially give up. I sent a note to Bimmer Tech for help and they indicated that only BMW could make this happen. I’m not holding my breath on this one, but I suspect that somehow, someone will have an upgrade path.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #63
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So I just wrote their customer service another email.. most likely re-direct me somewhere else. I like how you cannot email BMW NA, you have to write them a letter or call. I'm sure they will not like it when I tell them 'this call is being recorded for the purposes of evidence... and quality assurance" 😂😂
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #64
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Quote:
I give up. Way too many conflicting parts lists and information. There’s too big a market for someone not to figure this upgrade out, but I officially give up. I sent a note to Bimmer Tech for help and they indicated that only BMW could make this happen. I’m not holding my breath on this one, but I suspect that somehow, someone will have an upgrade path.
Even if you succeed in replacing the 3G with a 4G TCU and the new esim number is registered into the BMW servers, the question remains whether in the connected drive portal your car will still be eligible for extending the paid services.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #65
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive40e (F15)

I wrote both the Connectedrive team and BMW (which my email was redirected to their BMW i Team since I have the 40e). Both replies were that they were going to look at extending service without a year commitment to at least Feb of 2022 and provide further information in the future.

Really hoping that they allow/figure out some type of upgrade path and let it register on BMW's servers. I really take advantage of climatizing my car remotely since it brings the hybrid battery pack into a better, optimal temperature.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #66
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ladies & Gentlemen,

Was just getting some 90k love done on my F15. I spoke to my SA about this, he said BMW has already sent a TB in reference to this. That it did not say much other than "follow on emails will be sent with instruction to dealerships"

I tried to get that TB# but he was kind of scared for some reason. He also said some 2016 owners have already complained about this to their dealership. It's making traction.

I also tried to get an email for BMW NA, but they do not have one. Hell, I'm at the point that I'm looking for Bernhardt Kuhnt on social media 😅
Appreciate 1
MM198422.50