BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2021, 05:42 AM   #1
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Brake pads and discs

Apologies if this has been brought up in the past.
I’m approaching 38,000 miles from new and expecting to have to change the pads and possibly discs as well - due a service in March with BMW.
Number of questions if you don’t mind answering for me please

1. Should pads and discs be replaced at the same time?
2. Approx how much do BMW charge to do this
3. Is it better for me to go to a non BMW garage to save money?
4. What are the best pads to buy and how much?
5. I like the look of the ventilated drilled discs but which ones are best and what price? Being an M50d my break disc are larger than the standard X5 discs so these may be more difficult to find?

Appreciate your replies
      01-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #2
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
I'm approaching 38,000 miles from new and expecting to have to change the pads and possibly discs as well - due a service in March with BMW.
Number of questions if you don't mind answering for me please

5. I like the look of the ventilated drilled discs but which ones are best and what price? Being an M50d my break disc are larger than the standard X5 discs so these may be more difficult to find?

Appreciate your replies
You definitely should change pads when you change discs
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 12:33 PM   #3
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

Quote:
Drilled and ventilated disc - beyond the looks - are a waste of money. Stick to the OEM discs/pads - they are the most reliable and effective for M50d. Not cheap, but best.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
phipark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 Montego Blue

I doubt you'd need new rotors by then. The OEM rotors last a good amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:05 PM   #5
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
I’m approaching 38,000 miles from new and expecting to have to change the pads and possibly discs as well - due a service in March with BMW.
Number of questions if you don’t mind answering for me please

Appreciate your replies
1. No, based on the condition of the rotors.
2.In US I got a quote for $2400 for new pads and rotors all around, parts and labor.
3. Yes, very simple job
4. I personally love my Akebono parts, 0 dust and very small sacrifice of stopping power compared to the the OEM pads.
5. You might want to check real OEM to see what your options are, in US I got slotted and perforated rotors from ECS Tuning, my main problem with OEM rotors was rust and dealer can't and won't do anything about it since this is just cosmetics. Also keep in mind that rotors from the BMW are basically ATE, Brembo or Zimmermann in the BMW box. You can find them way cheaper if you don't care about the box they arrive at.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:29 PM   #6
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Also keep in mind that rotors from the BMW are basically ATE, Brembo or Zimmermann in the BMW box. You can find them way cheaper if you don't care about the box they arrive at.
Sorry, but it's hard for me to believe that OEM rotors are just repackaged whatever brand. Where can I verify that information? I've read on this site many, many times, that "get this or that, but if you want best, get OEM" and having tested myself many rotor brands on many cars I have had over the years, BMW OEM is by far the best.

So - is this a rumour or verified fact?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It is a verified fact, there are no BMW rotors or BMW air filters. BMW doesn't make parts, they make cars.All generic parts are made by parts manufacturers. So hoods and fenders and panels and specific make models parts are made by BMW or by parts manufacturers for BMW. My diesel engine air filter is made by Mahle and sold on amazon for $35, exact same filter from BMW (same part numbers,everything is the same) just different box and Mahle one doesn't have BMW logo on it is $65-90. BMW oil in US is made by Pennzoil, dealer is selling it for $10 a quart in BMW bottle, but same Pennzoil in yellow canister is like $20 per gallon in Walmart. Zimmerman is OEM brakes part supplier for BMW. NGK supplied spark plugs for Mercedes, so spark plugs for wife's ML350 are $25 with MB logo or $12 for same plugs from NGK. There are hundreds of examples like that. Just google "OEM parts manufacturers for ". Particular suppliers can change region to region and over time.There is no "additional quality" in the car branded parts, they charge you extra for the box which says BMW, Mercedes,Lexus. Since they buy it bulk and place large orders they get it dirt cheap but charge you premium. So all filters, rotors, pads, belts, fuel pumps and other generic cars parts are made by different manufacturers around the world. Brembo, Akebono,NGK, Bosch, Siemens, Hella,Magneti Marelli, KYB,Monroe hundreds of them.Tesla uses same gear shifters as Mercedes, it doesn't mean they are made by Mercedes, Tesla just bought them from same supplier.
One of the most popular mods for F15:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1464952
These are Brembo calipers made for BMW, not by BMW.
Here are few other examples from BMW world:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529061
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343867

If you don't trust me, just buy 2 filters one OEM one BMW and compare. No difference. End specific to this topic- BMW factory rotors are very rust prone and total garbage (they probably choose the cheapest they can get from supplier), just search here:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621826
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1529416
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=968147

Last edited by RED_Y_; 01-30-2021 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:53 AM   #8
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

If you don't trust me, just buy 2 filters one OEM one BMW and compare. No difference. End specific to this topic- BMW factory rotors are very rust prone and total garbage (they probably choose the cheapest they can get from supplier
OK, looks like we have a different approach to both requirements to the brake pads/rotors and gathering knowledge. Having said that, thank you for your time you've spent for your extended response - I really appreciate that!

Regarding knowledge - having spent years on forums I very careful with repeating opinions of people who might or might not a verified background and knowledge in the field. I could post something here and how can anybody tell if that's a valid fact - or just somebody's opinion?

Regarding the rotors - I don't really like that brake rotors rust - but that's just the nature of the beast - and I don't really care how they look. What I really care is if they brake reliability and how durable they are.

Regaling the OEM and brands. I've spent years working for and around automotive industry in a process optimisation field (both in TPS based plants and in administrative/IT/supply chain) and what I know for sure since I experienced that first hand is that the fact that certain supplier (eg Zimmermann) delivers to certain customer (eg BMW) means nothing regarding the aftermarket parts availability.

Obviously you are right regarding the big picture, car is compiled from the parts made by external suppliers. It's a fascinating process. Regarding the parts - it's a little more complicated under the hood. Sadly, I can't go into details but I can assure you, that there might be
- technological
- material
- legal
- geographic and other reasons why OEM parts from certain supplier and aftermarket parts from the same supplier might not be identical. They will fit, they will work, but not necessarily will perform the same way. Some can be identical, others can not, others are not available from the same supplier at all.

As said, It's a little more complicated under the hood. And I - personally I - buy the critical elements of the car from the dealership. Brake system is critical for me.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 08:30 AM   #9
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Just going back to none OEM pads and discs, any recommendations, if I bought these myself and ask a local garage to fit?
      01-31-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your responses.
Just going back to none OEM pads and discs, any recommendations, if I bought these myself and ask a local garage to fit?
What's your mileage that you need new rotors?

M50d here as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 11:19 AM   #11
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinsky View Post
Quote:
Also keep in mind that rotors from the BMW are basically ATE, Brembo or Zimmermann in the BMW box. You can find them way cheaper if you don't care about the box they arrive at.
Sorry, but it's hard for me to believe that OEM rotors are just repackaged whatever brand. Where can I verify that information? I've read on this site many, many times, that "get this or that, but if you want best, get OEM" and having tested myself many rotor brands on many cars I have had over the years, BMW OEM is by far the best.

So - is this a rumour or verified fact?
It's a verified fact. Read any product description from fcp euro, it will clearly state that. They also list OE options for bmw branded parts if available. See for example https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...x5-34116779293
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 12:05 PM   #12
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB,

as far as your rotors I suspect as others have said unless you have noticeable wear and or warping / shimmy I'd just do pads and next go around rotors, pads and fluid flush.

Your call .........
      01-31-2021, 12:15 PM   #13
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

M50d here as well.
I’ve only done 37,000 miles of 4 years ownership so as everyone has said just hope I will need to change the pads.
      01-31-2021, 12:24 PM   #14
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, looks like we have a different approach to both requirements to the brake pads/rotors and gathering knowledge. Having said that, thank you for your time you've spent for your extended response - I really appreciate that!

Regarding knowledge - having spent years on forums I very careful with repeating opinions of people who might or might not a verified background and knowledge in the field. I could post something here and how can anybody tell if that's a valid fact - or just somebody's opinion?

Regarding the rotors - I don't really like that brake rotors rust - but that's just the nature of the beast - and I don't really care how they look. What I really care is if they brake reliability and how durable they are.

Regaling the OEM and brands. I've spent years working for and around automotive industry in a process optimisation field (both in TPS based plants and in administrative/IT/supply chain) and what I know for sure since I experienced that first hand is that the fact that certain supplier (eg Zimmermann) delivers to certain customer (eg BMW) means nothing regarding the aftermarket parts availability.

Obviously you are right regarding the big picture, car is compiled from the parts made by external suppliers. It's a fascinating process. Regarding the parts - it's a little more complicated under the hood. Sadly, I can't go into details but I can assure you, that there might be
- technological
- material
- legal
- geographic and other reasons why OEM parts from certain supplier and aftermarket parts from the same supplier might not be identical. They will fit, they will work, but not necessarily will perform the same way. Some can be identical, others can not, others are not available from the same supplier at all.

As said, It's a little more complicated under the hood. And I - personally I - buy the critical elements of the car from the dealership. Brake system is critical for me.

Well besides the forum knowledge I have family members who are working in the supply chain for automotive company (not the passenger, semi trucks), so I know a thing or two as well. But overall if cross check facts and see same opinion from unrelated parties you can probably verify the truth of certain statements.
Regarding rotors and rust- my ECS tuning rotors don't rust, but BMW factory once do, so for me it is obvious that BMW saved a few bucks on getting non plated rotors.
I don't doubt your knowledge of the matter but I also don't doubt my own eyes. If I see 2 exact products but one is 20-30-50% cheaper and missing car manufacturer logo I don't think the one with logo performs better in any way. Not saying that every single part has OEM clone, there are parts which a made specific to application per specific request (a good example is fuel injectors and sensors, lots of them are just slightly different but doesn't work the same). Another thing to keep in mind is that very often due to the bulk nature of order such contracts are happen to be cheapest , kind of Walmart style of operations. "If we order 10 million filters, can you cut the price to $5 per unit?" sort of thing. Mercedes spark plugs I mentioned earlier were confirmed by service advisor and mechanic being exactly the same. My SA literally told me that if I know how to replace spark plugs I can DIY it and save $600. Not trying to change your mind but want to share my thoughts and opinion on this and help others better understand their options.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 12:25 PM   #15
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

M50d here as well.
I’ve only done 37,000 miles of 4 years ownership so as everyone has said just hope I will need to change the pads.
If that's the whole mileage of this car and no indication of rotors damage, just I'd change the pads and brake fluid. That's it.

And since we're on the M50d topic, what fuel do you use? I found this engine is super fuel sensitive, especially injectors.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 12:30 PM   #16
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not trying to change your mind but want to share my thoughts and opinion on this and help others better understand their options.
Absolutely same position here - and I agree with above observations. As long as the quality requirements are met, the price comes to play with various results (that sentence might be mostly true (eg for Porsche or BMW) or mostly not true (eg LR/RR), but that's a different story).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 10:06 PM   #17
lionyard
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Go to your local BMW dealership and see if they are running a sale.. My local dealership ran a 20% sale on performance breaks. It doesn't hurt to check..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #18
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If that's the whole mileage of this car and no indication of rotors damage, just I'd change the pads and brake fluid. That's it.

And since we're on the M50d topic, what fuel do you use? I found this engine is super fuel sensitive, especially injectors.
Off topic I’m averaging 30 to 33 UK mpg on 10+ mile runs and less for shorter runs in sports mode
The best I have achieved was 37 mpg on a 250 mile trip up to the Lake District.
I’m more than happy with the mpg👌
      02-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #19
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Off topic I'm averaging 30 to 33 UK mpg on 10+ mile runs and less for shorter runs in sports mode
The best I have achieved was 37 mpg on a 250 mile trip up to the Lake District.
I'm more than happy with the mpg👌
OK, at first I freaked out, but then I realised you used UK MPG (not US, like everyone here), so I recalculated and here are the results:

- average - 28 UK mpg, standard lumping around the city with some motorway. 30 to 33 is impossible for me, it seems.
- lowest - 35.8 - some holiday family driving in the countryside

Indeed - impressive numbers for such a boat.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #20
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OK, at first I freaked out, but then I realised you used UK MPG (not US, like everyone here), so I recalculated and here are the results:

- average - 28 UK mpg, standard lumping around the city with some motorway. 30 to 33 is impossible for me, it seems.
- lowest - 35.8 - some holiday family driving in the countryside

Indeed - impressive numbers for such a boat.
Maybe I have a lighter right foot than you
Wouldn’t worry about it as most days this car puts a smile on my face each day I’m driving her
      03-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #21
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

So my 2016 x6 50i with 47k miles has started to squeal like a little piggy when braking at slow speeds. I checked all rotors and the rear one are not smooth at all. I ran my finger across them and there are bumps all over the place. Idrive says rear pads need changing in 7k miles although from visual inspection there doesn't seem to be much meat on them left.
I did try the 60-30mph brake bedding technique and the squealing has disappeared but the rotors are still uneven.
Should I be looking at changing the rear rotors as well?
Is it ok to keep the front oem rotors and get zimmermanns for the rear?

Also, is brake flush really necessary? I've done it less than 500 miles ago last month.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2021, 05:31 PM   #22
BimmerSI
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 xdrive30d, F10 520d, i3

Quote:
Quote:

If you don't trust me, just buy 2 filters one OEM one BMW and compare. No difference. End specific to this topic- BMW factory rotors are very rust prone and total garbage (they probably choose the cheapest they can get from supplier

- technological
- material
- legal

I do some services for auto industry as well and I can confirm that OE and aftermarket or OEM parts are not the same. How do I know that. Not just by the ways the part looks, because it can look the same, but the way it is manufactured, different machines that are used and different materials that are used...

Parts made in by one company does not mean that all are the same standards and quality.

And we can talk about filters, brake rotors, even rivets... For example: one company makes bushings for PSA concern and BMW. For PSA bushings are finished on 100.000€ machine and for BMW on 400.000€ CNC machine due to lower tolerances.

The same goes for filter productions lines etc...
Sometimes even humidity and temerature matters.

So no.... aftermarket parts are not the same as OE parts. Regardless what 3rd party shops says. They have their own reasons.

That of couse does not mean aftermarket parts do not work. They do, but if you want genuine experience go for OE parts. It mostly matter on parts that connects driver with car for example brakes...

Upgraded brakes, modified and race orientated is whole other story.

Just 2 more cents regarding shared switches or blinkers that Tesla bought from the same manufactures as Mercedes buys... They were able to do that, because they are in a partnership. Otherwise there are copyrights involved....

Enough from me.
BimmerSI, out!!
Appreciate 1
devlinsky369.00