BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Wider stance - marring and rock chips

Hey!

I have a set of spacers that I'm now reconsidering. Have any of you guys with spacers found that a lot of dirt and drums gets kicked up to the rocker panel and the rear door?

My E70 has mudflaps butnit was black so you couldn't really notice them - and tbh they looked awesome. On this gray car I don't know, they may stick out?

What are you guys doing to mitigate the wider stance dirt/grime that's getting kicked up?
      06-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

PPF / "Clear Bra"... There was an OEM option for the E70 X5M. I had it on mine because I did not want to install flaps. I am not sure if there is an OEM option for the F85 however any shop can install it and you will not have further issues.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      06-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Regardless of spacers - PPF. Your installer can do a double layer in chip prone areas. I no longer cringe every time I hear some stuff kicked up.

BTW - I also did a windshield film. There are a few very minor areas of distortion but, again, no cringing as stuff hits the windshield.

All in all, it allows me to enjoy my driving much more.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      06-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #4
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Amazing thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Will look into all options but there's no question BMW should not have left the factory like this!
      06-07-2019, 12:35 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Don't go off road to the gravel.

3 years owning my F15 with aggressive setup 22" HRE and spaced out 20" stock wheels.
My fenders were still smooth.

I even took it to a track at one point, no damage to the rear fenders.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      06-07-2019, 07:04 AM   #6
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Unfortunately that is not an option for me. Our other home has a gravel driveway and the parking lots in town have it in the parking lots. In the winter the streets are treated with a sand and brine mixture. No way around it. Have to protect it.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12805.00
TheVazha685.50
      06-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
pk9394
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Hey!

I have a set of spacers that I'm now reconsidering. Have any of you guys with spacers found that a lot of dirt and drums gets kicked up to the rocker panel and the rear door?

My E70 has mudflaps butnit was black so you couldn't really notice them - and tbh they looked awesome. On this gray car I don't know, they may stick out?

What are you guys doing to mitigate the wider stance dirt/grime that's getting kicked up?
sure you will get more sandblast effect with thicker spacers. like other say, use clear bar to protect these area if is not to late. I didn't use any film protection, my front rocker panels do have the sandblast making but the rear is all good. I think even you don't use spacers you will still have the same problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Bought mine 6 months ago and have not driven mine much 'coz of the same issue, rock chips. Though mine is white, I still decided to get the front mudflaps and I am also putting on the PPF on the front bumper/full hood/front fenders/rocker panels, lower parts of the doors/door sill areas/behind the rear tires, and the rear cargo area

Nothing beats the PPF and has always been the first thing I do to all cars bought.
Appreciate 0