BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-01-2022, 06:00 PM   #1
knbrown89
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Rear Suspension Issue

I have an issue where the back of the truck sags somewhat randomly, but has been happening more frequently. Last week I had to drive ~100 miles with the issue happening and every single bump felt like I was in a honda civic on cut springs.

I can't really pinpoint when it happens but the rear bags go flat overnight, usually with cargo in the back (but I mean light, less than 50 pounds). Last 2 weeks it hasnt happened at all so my initial idea of a bag leak is making me think now.

Are there any 'valves' or sensors on the active suspension that could be allowing air out for whatever reason?

2016 x5m, no codes on the dash.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2022, 08:23 PM   #2
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by knbrown89 View Post
I have an issue where the back of the truck sags somewhat randomly, but has been happening more frequently. Last week I had to drive ~100 miles with the issue happening and every single bump felt like I was in a honda civic on cut springs.

I can't really pinpoint when it happens but the rear bags go flat overnight, usually with cargo in the back (but I mean light, less than 50 pounds). Last 2 weeks it hasnt happened at all so my initial idea of a bag leak is making me think now.

Are there any 'valves' or sensors on the active suspension that could be allowing air out for whatever reason?

If you are experiencing low bags overnight, you probably have a leaks. How many miles ? You can spray some soapy water on the bags and looks for leaks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
knbrown89
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
If you are experiencing low bags overnight, you probably have a leaks. How many miles ? You can spray some soapy water on the bags and looks for leaks.
Currently at 45k. Leaky bags was my initial thought and probably the cheapest to try first. I am just confused by how intermittent and random it seems.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #4
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Full Evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by knbrown89 View Post

I recommend having the dealer and/or a great indy shop fully evaluate the bags, compressor, and valve block. It's a $6K repair job for everything if it's required, at least through the shops in my area.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 12:22 PM   #5
secretariat
Major
Rep

You have 45k miles on the vehicle it's time to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 06:33 PM   #6
Braydenx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M & 2019 X7 50i

Spray soapy water and it's very easy to see if there's a leak, then u can buy Arnott A-2642 Air Spring from amazon for about $300 for 2 and DIY replacement, or bring it to a shop for extra $300 for installation
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 08:08 PM   #7
kangfu84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I had the same issue, was intermittent sagging overnight but replaced the air springs with the Arnotts and been golden since. Pretty common from everything I've read.
Appreciate 1
dmd2130.50
      12-03-2022, 08:55 AM   #8
pass427
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 and F85

its the bag just had mine replace at 45k also and you want to do it before you burn the pump out.
      12-03-2022, 11:42 AM   #9
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Replace both bags soon, the pump is not designed for constant running and it sounds like one of your bags is a serious leaker
Appreciate 1
dmd2130.50
      12-17-2022, 12:15 AM   #10
yasavguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW X5M

I have had the same issue - intermittent sagging in the rear of the truck - for almost 2 years now. Haven't replaced the bags yet. It is so strange how intermittent it is, mine's almost always sags under colder conditions; far less sagging in warm climate. Sometimes it'd also always sag if the truck's in the garage (maybe dust issues?).

What I don't understand is this - if there's a leak how come the issue is so intermittent? Maybe there is a falty valve that lets the air out depending on the environment?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 05:10 AM   #11
zhp pilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasavguy View Post
I have had the same issue - intermittent sagging in the rear of the truck - for almost 2 years now. Haven't replaced the bags yet. It is so strange how intermittent it is, mine's almost always sags under colder conditions; far less sagging in warm climate. Sometimes it'd also always sag if the truck's in the garage (maybe dust issues?).

What I don't understand is this - if there's a leak how come the issue is so intermittent? Maybe there is a falty valve that lets the air out depending on the environment?
It's intermittent for most people. Was for me as well and I also questioned what was wrong because of that. Had mine replaced by the dealership right before the factory warranty ran out. They sent the video of the soapy water and both were leaking bad. No sagging since then.

The leaks happen in the folds in the bags. Sometimes the hole will be sealed by the fold and it won't sag and other times it's open and air leaks out. When they test them at the dealership the car is off the ground and the bags fully extended so no folds to block the air from leaking.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2022, 09:00 AM   #12
Blue By You
Major
Rep

$6K

Quote:

The whole job with OEM parts was $6K for bags, compressor, and valve block. I recommend getting this evaluated before your bill goes sky high.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 10:28 AM   #13
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6M, 2018 RRS

2016 X6M Rear Suspension

I bought a new to me X6M in Apr with 36k miles. I didn't drive it a lot but noticed the same thing - intermittent sagging. I had it towed to the dealer as i don't have one in my area and they diagnosed one faulty bag but because the compressor had been trying to keep up(hence the intermittency), it burned that out as well. Long and short $3,700 to replace all components as BMW recommends always changing the rear bags in pairs, so don't delay or it WILL get more expensive. If you are handy, you can pretty easily replace them yourself in 1-2hrs per side. Videos are out there.

A bit for more info for those interested. I towed mine to the dealer because i bought endurance aftermarket warranty to cover the history i didn't have on the car. It was maintained by a BMW dealer in FL. My insurance wasn't accepted by the dealer which is where i thought it had to go so i had it towed back to my regular shop where they work on everything European. Endurance kicked in $1,200 because they would only pay for one bag and partial on the compressor. Still better than a kick in the rear. I am having both bags replaced per BMW recommendation because I don't want to see the same issue again which I probably would with the other bag.

I haven't got the car back yet because whoever put the wheels on massively over torqued them to the point where it broke two wheel lock tools and my shop is now having to drill the left rear off If it wasn't a shop i trusted, I would be wondering but idiots somewhere who thought tighter was better.

Don't hang about - it won't fix itself. At the very least get it diagnosed and good luck

Last edited by crunchingnumbers; 12-18-2022 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 05:36 PM   #14
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Wheel Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchingnumbers View Post
I bought a new to me X6M in Apr with 36k miles. I didn't drive it a lot but noticed the same thing - intermittent sagging. I had it towed to the dealer as i don't have one in my area and they diagnosed one faulty bag but because the compressor had been trying to keep up(hence the intermittency), it burned that out as well. Long and short $3,700 to replace all components as BMW recommends always changing the rear bags in pairs, so don't delay or it WILL get more expensive. If you are handy, you can pretty easily replace them yourself in 1-2hrs per side. Videos are out there.

A bit for more info for those interested. I towed mine to the dealer because i bought endurance aftermarket warranty to cover the history i didn't have on the car. It was maintained by a BMW dealer in FL. My insurance wasn't accepted by the dealer which is where i thought it had to go so i had it towed back to my regular shop where they work on everything European. Endurance kicked in $1,200 because they would only pay for one bag and partial on the compressor. Still better than a kick in the rear. I am having both bags replaced per BMW recommendation because I don't want to see the same issue again which I probably would with the other bag.

I haven't got the car back yet because whoever put the wheels on massively over torqued them to the point where it broke two wheel lock tools and my shop is now having to drill the left rear off If it wasn't a shop i trusted, I would be wondering but idiots somewhere who thought tighter was better.

Don't hang about - it won't fix itself. At the very least get it diagnosed and good luck
Wheel torque is 101lb-ft. I highly recommend retorquing a few times after you get your rig back and drive around a bit. Both of my wheelsets (OEM and BC Forged) require retorquing 3-4x after a reinstall to be totally dialed in for some reason. And I still retorque every week for good measure. There are always a couple/few lugs that move a bit, especially on the rear from some reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 10:40 PM   #15
yasavguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW X5M

If the compressor goes bad - that means that the rear suspension won't raise at all?

In any case, after reading the above posts I decided to replace those bags.

Arnott A-2642 Air Spring - two of these, correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 02:38 PM   #16
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If the compressor goes bad - that means that the rear suspension won't raise at all?

In any case, after reading the above posts I decided to replace those bags.

Arnott A-2642 Air Spring - two of these, correct?
Thats one of them for all x5/X6 from 2008-2018 but there are others out there. I didn't ask what they were putting on my vehicle because they gave me a good warranty (36months/50,000 better than the dealer) and they are walking distance from my house but FCP-Euro has Arnott A-2642 Air Spring for $174 ea.

My cost was $317 ea. but when i get the manufacturer I'll let you know.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #17
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My cost was $317 ea. but when i get the manufacturer I'll let you know.
My bad - $317 ea. included the shop labor per side which they said was 1.5 hours when they were giving me an update last week. The bags are Arnott A-2642 per the work order. Picked it up this evening, 10 miles driven so far and all is back to normal. Sits noticeably higher and firm even in comfort mode.

Wheels were torqued to correct values as well, they took the front off for me post bag repair on the rear to make sure i wouldn't be stuck anywhere with seized wheel lugs should i get a flat. Whoever put those wheels on must have been an over zealous numb-nut with a super charged air compressor who worked on mining excavators in his day job.
Appreciate 1