BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #1
h6mid
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M

TPMS reprogramming/recoding for OEM 611m package

Hi guys, I was at a local tire shop today to swap summer rims with winter package. I got this package from someone on this forum that used it on his 2017 x5m (mine is a 2018 x6m).

The tire shop told me that they need to reprogram the tpms sensor so that the car recognizes the new sensor since it's the first time I'm putting them on the car. Is that true? (Everything is oem) or do I just need to reset the tpms settings through iDrive after dropping off the summer tires at home? Also, he kept scanning the existing tpms sensors on the car (the summer ones) and his device wouldn't recognize it even though he chose the right year make and model. But it did recognize the winter tpms sensors. Is that something to be concerned about?
last question, do you think $150 sounds reasonable for balancing and swapping rims?

Thanks for your help
Hamid

p.s. I haven't put the winter package on yet since the wheel lock key was missing and had to reorder one

Last edited by h6mid; 12-12-2020 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
Btt335
BETTO
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f85 X5M-BMW F15

$150 is ok, install the winter tires first , second take out the summer tires from car and later reset the tpms from your I drive , good luck
Appreciate 1
h6mid13.50
      12-12-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
h6mid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btt335 View Post
$150 is ok, install the winter tires first , second take out the summer tires from car and later reset the tpms from your I drive , good luck
Perfect! Thanks boss!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 04:50 AM   #4
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by h6mid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btt335 View Post
Perfect! Thanks boss!
The factory TPMS Sensors are crap, I can never get them to measure equally. I have my tires filled with Nitrogen not air, as nitrogen stays constant during changes in temperature and pressure then air. I use a digital pressure gauge to measure my tire pressure and get it where it needs to be, bu to side the X5M the pressures never match what the digital gauge says. So I don't rely on the TPMS. Frustrating to say the least.
      12-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #5
h6mid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
The factory TPMS Sensors are crap, I can never get them to measure equally. I have my tires filled with Nitrogen not air, as nitrogen stays constant during changes in temperature and pressure then air. I use a digital pressure gauge to measure my tire pressure and get it where it needs to be, bu to side the X5M the pressures never match what the digital gauge says. So I don't rely on the TPMS. Frustrating to say the least.
I totally agree with you! last time I got a flat tire and it didn't even detect that or give me any warning lol. I just don't want to get the error on idrive everytime I turn on the car ) otherwise it's completely useless to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Become a tire whisperer, check tires on same day each week , with cold tires, with digital or good dial gage. Adjust to pressure you desire, with bicycle pump. Cooler nights will yield lower am pressure, but air up to desired pressure. Immediately perform TPMS reset...you will find TPMS pressures do not necessarily match each other and/or what you just aired them up to. Trust hand held gage ...TPMS system will its job based on mfgrs default setting...ie..perhaps 5 lbs or 20% off initialized setting. Good time to check tread for even wear and determine over/under inflation. Doing these two things and having real alignment ( not checked alignment) will yield better tire life. I'm at 24,000 on set of 22 MPSSWith about 6,000 left and I don' spare the M2 button.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I no longer rely on the TPMS to display the right tire pressure. I use the digital tire pressure gauge, that I know is always correct. And I go and top off with Nitrogen every two months.
Appreciate 0