BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
Iti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 550 xdrive.2016 X5M

Best and nicest wheels for around 3k

Hi....lately I was thinking about getting different wheels but I cannot decide and they won't look good on the car
First I was looking at bbs ch-r ll platinum color for around $3500 but I'm not sure how it will look and if someone can photoshop them on my car that will be great and off course there are tens of options but I was wondering about TSW Chrono matte black for around 2k Or I'm just going to forget about wheels and get high flow cated downpipes and do bm3 stage 2
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
F85MTuNED1620.50
CT335xi682.50
      08-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iti View Post
Hi....lately I was thinking about getting different wheels but I cannot decide and they won't look good on the car
First I was looking at bbs ch-r ll platinum color for around $3500 but I'm not sure how it will look and if someone can photoshop them on my car that will be great and off course there are tens of options but I was wondering about TSW Chrono matte black for around 2k Or I'm just going to forget about wheels and get high flow cated downpipes and do bm3 stage 2
Dude I am going through the same thing. I was eyeing HRE flow form for around 3k. Contacted them and they said they don't make any flow form wheels for our chassis/platform and I should instead buy custom forged. 3k vs 12k. Pass.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3 Non ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Save your money and get VRSF downpipes with BM3 for $1,400. I'm biased towards performance vs aesthetics
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      08-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
maximus5403
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M

Stock wheels look great powder coated! That's what I did. I have extended factory warranty so I didn't want to deal with warranty issues on the transfer case.
      08-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
Iti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman_newyork View Post
Quote:
Save your money and get VRSF downpipes with BM3 for $1,400. I'm biased towards performance vs aesthetics
I'm afraid if I do cat less it will be too loud and smelly as I have the Eisenman race exhaust without EV I had catless on my 550 and was really loud but not in a nice way sounded more like a tractor because I had no resonators and I had the meistershaft exhaust
That's why I was leaning towards Cated down pipes but they are like 2k. If somebody runs catless downpipe's with Eisenman exhaust I'd like to hear or see how it is please. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm afraid if I do cat less it will be too loud and smelly as I have the Eisenman race exhaust without EV I had catless on my 550 and was really loud but not in a nice way sounded more like a tractor because I had no resonators and I had the meistershaft exhaust
That's why I was leaning towards Cated down pipes but they are like 2k. If somebody runs catless downpipe's with Eisenman exhaust I'd like to hear or see how it is please. Thank you
I completely understand your hesitation. I've never heard the race exhaust but from the reviews it's definitely louder than stock. Here's a link of my X5M on the dyno. Catless DP'S with stock rear section.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDnZm-JJ...=1stbhc6u47wck

As for the smell I only notice it when in the garage and it doesn't bother me but everyone has different tolerances of smell. If you're sensitive to smell or live in a State with strict emissions I'd recommend hi flow cats.

There's a fabricator in Russia named Mike who custom makes DP'S with whatever cats you want and is closer to $1,200 shipped. You can check out his work at mikes-custom.ru or search Mikes-Custom on IG.

Best of luck on your decision
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus5403 View Post
Stock wheels look great powder coated! That's what I did. I have extended factory warranty so I didn't want to deal with warranty issues on the transfer case.
110% agree. There's a thread about BMW not replacing/repairing a differential due to aftermarket wheels and tolerances. Craziness
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:11 PM   #8
ckneasel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I think the stock wheels look fantastic as they are... $3k saved...
Appreciate 1
CT335xi682.50
      08-11-2020, 11:54 PM   #9
Iti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckneasel View Post
I think the stock wheels look fantastic as they are... $3k saved...
I know I love these wheels I'm just itching to do something. Maybe I'll go the downpipe bm3 route. Maybe it'll be worthy to get the cheap catless and try it first see if I like it before going high flow cats
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #10
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Gotta give credit to SupersixM for this rec but I am looking hard at the Brixton RF10 in anthracite. My second choice at present is probably BMW 375s, though I would have the faces tinted a little darker.

If you haven't checked out Brixton before and you just like looking at wheels for fun, check out Brixton. They have some amazing wheels.

Last edited by KCTiger; 08-13-2020 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #11
Iti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Gotta give credit to SupersixM for this rec but I am looking hard at the Brixton RF10 in anthracite. My second choice at present is probably BMW 375s, though I would have the faces tinted a little darker.

If you haven't checked out Brixton before and you just like looking at wheels for fun, check out Brixton. They have some amazing wheels.
I will I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 12:07 PM   #12
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Quote:
100%

The stock wheels are perfect for this car. Do a good tune, a Dinan intake, and an Eisenmann sport. It'll "look" stock but the exhaust tone will be cleaned up a bit, the turbos will scream a bit, and it will be a pleasure to drive without offending anyone.
      08-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #13
Iti
Private First Class
Rep

Is the Dinan intake kinda the only and best option for our cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #14
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

I do not think so. I haven't used Dinan but there are two other options that I personally put in my car instead of Dinan.

In my opinion, AFE is the best from a performance standpoint and value. The sound is much better than stock as is the throttle response. I bought mine second hand and got a CEL. I was told that issue is corrected on newer versions. Great bang for the buck.

What I have on my ride now are RK CF intakes. These look the best imo. Sound is a little better than stock but nowhere near as good as AFE. No change to throttle response in my opinion. Pricey though. I think they are at least $1,500 new.

Dinan looks good as well, I am not sure about sound or throttle response. If I didn't like the RKs, I would probably go Dinan.

All that being said, unless you go stage 2, I wouldn't shell out for an intake (unless it's AFE). The stock airbox, I am told, was designed pretty well. Many people have indicated they went with aftermarket airbox for aesthetics and/or sound.

I would like to go stage 2, just deciding if I want to pull the trigger on HFC DPs. I am not going to go catless.

Just my two cents, I am sure other folks have vastly different opinions/experiences.
Appreciate 1
Blewx5m128.00
      08-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #15
Iti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I do not think so. I haven't used Dinan but there are two other options that I personally put in my car instead of Dinan.

In my opinion, AFE is the best from a performance standpoint and value. The sound is much better than stock as is the throttle response. I bought mine second hand and got a CEL. I was told that issue is corrected on newer versions. Great bang for the buck.

What I have on my ride now are RK CF intakes. These look the best imo. Sound is a little better than stock but nowhere near as good as AFE. No change to throttle response in my opinion. Pricey though. I think they are at least $1,500 new.

Dinan looks good as well, I am not sure about sound or throttle response. If I didn't like the RKs, I would probably go Dinan.

All that being said, unless you go stage 2, I wouldn't shell out for an intake (unless it's AFE). The stock airbox, I am told, was designed pretty well. Many people have indicated they went with aftermarket airbox for aesthetics and/or sound.

I would like to go stage 2, just deciding if I want to pull the trigger on HFC DPs. I am not going to go catless.

Just my two cents, I am sure other folks have vastly different opinions/experiences.
Yes I think that's what I'm gonna do I will go high flow DP and BM3 stage 2 I'll skip stage one because I know the next day I would want to do stage two so might as well get the free map straight stage two.
You say you like afe better but you would go with dinan is that just because you're afraid of the cell issues?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #16
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I think that's what I'm gonna do I will go high flow DP and BM3 stage 2 I'll skip stage one because I know the next day I would want to do stage two so might as well get the free map straight stage two.
You say you like afe better but you would go with dinan is that just because you're afraid of the cell issues?
What I meant is that if I didn't like RK for whatever reason, I would have given Dinan a try.

Here my suggestion. If aesthetics matter, go RK. If sound/throttle response and value mean more, go AFE. Buy it direct though. That way if you do happen to get a CEL, you can return it. You shouldn't get it though.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:33 AM   #17
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Dinan man. It's the best looking part, dealer approved, and they actually do engineering on these cars. You do get sound, both exhaust and turbos, and you do get performance - 100%.

The AFE I will never understand. If it's a cold air box, how is it getting cold air from inside the engine bay? Have you ever popped the hood after some spirited driving? It's like an oven on thanksgiving day. Just picturing the engine breathing all those hot a$$ fumes through those slits. I mean, why not just run some holes on your stock box, it's the same thing.

Imagine if you ran a 3" pipe from about where the air box is, to inside the cabin of the car, right to your face. Are you telling me that that air pushing through that pipe is cold? Lol, but seriously could you imagine if someone tried that.
      08-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #18
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

I wouldn't overthink the air intake decision. Just pick one and it will work fine for you.

Put differently, my only strong opinion on this matter is that the choice of air intake is very minor in the scheme of things. I would spend more time making the decision of catted vs HFC. Also very important would be what stage 2 tune you use.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #19
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Look into BC Forged. Custom forged wheels for about $4k.