BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
IrishLad
Rep
Drives: E60, E70, E90

URGENT HELP! ZGW Failed Update With ISTA+

Hi All,
Would someone be available to URGENTLY help me with a failed update.

I connected ISTA+ to my X5 F15 2015, it had no errors and wanted a software update (ISTA+ combines ISTA-D and ISTA-P).

I connected a 2nd car for power (as don't have a battery maintainer) to maintain 14.1v
And let it start the update estimating 2 hours, but it FAILED 20mins into the update on the ZGM module which is now in a Programming Failed state!

I cannot start the X5, have no idrive screen, boot won't open, only door window and locks work.

I urgently need some help, I also connect E-SYS with ICOM but can only connect via its gateway IP and it can read the VIN, but not much else, it can't connect by VIN (greyed out) and I assume it can't find the ZGM module.

I can also connect ISTA+ using EDIBAS and a D/KNet cable, and it is also to show the module is failed programming, and no other modules can be contacted.

Anyone able to assist, I have ICOM, ESYS, ISTA+, D/Knet cable (but no E-Sys cable).

Any help or advice would be great as I have reviewed as many articles around this as I can!
Attached Images

Last edited by IrishLad; 07-25-2018 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLad View Post
Hi All,
Would someone be available to URGENTLY help me with a failed update.

I connected ISTA+ to my X5 F15 2015, it had no errors and wanted a software update (ISTA+ combines ISTA-D and ISTA-P).

I connected a 2nd car for power (as don't have a battery maintainer) to maintain 14.1v
And let it start the update estimating 2 hours, but it FAILED 20mins into the update on the ZGW module which is now in a Programming Failed state!

I cannot start the X5, have no idrive screen, boot won't open, only door window and locks work.

I urgently need some help, I also connect E-SYS with ICOM but can only connect via its gateway IP and it can read the VIN, but not much else, it can't connect by VIN (greyed out) and I assume it can't find the ZGW module.

I can also connect ISTA+ using EDIBAS and a D/KNet cable, and it is also to show the module is failed programming, and no other modules can be contacted.

Anyone able to assit, I have ICOM, ESYS, ISTA+, D/Knet cable (but no E-Sys cable).

Any help or advice would be great as I have reviewed as many articles around this as I can!
I had something similar happen to me couple of days ago, I was flashing MHD and half way it failed on me.

I couldn't continue flashing and even restart it till I used a Maxicom to delete the errors/codes then I restarted the flashing process and it worked.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
IrishLad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
I had something similar happen to me couple of days ago, I was flashing MHD and half way it failed on me.

I couldn't continue flashing and even restart it till I used a Maxicom to delete the errors/codes then I restarted the flashing process and it worked.
Thanks, did your MHD affect the FGM module, as it seems when the FGM is failed, you can't access any other ECU on the car, as they all show as ot communicating?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, did your MHD affect the FGM module, as it seems when the FGM is failed, you can't access any other ECU on the car, as they all show as ot communicating?
It effected the DME, and my engine wont start either.. try using Esys to clear all the errors then update again.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
IrishLad
Rep

Quote:
It effected the DME, and my engine wont start either.. try using Esys to clear all the errors then update again.
Thanks, I am trying E-SYS but it will read the VIN but won't do anything else like the FA as it says the module is unavailable (assume its the ZGM).

I am trying to connect by VIN but its not working and greyed out, I think if I can get that to work it may help, but not sure how!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, I am trying E-SYS but it will read the VIN but won't do anything else like the FA as it says the module is unavailable (assume its the ZGM).

I am trying to connect by VIN but its not working and greyed out, I think if I can get that to work it may help, but not sure how!
You dont have to connect to the actual module, search the forum theres a way with Esys to clear errors/codes or use an aftermarket device. After that you might be able to update the car again..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
IrishLad
Rep

Quote:
You dont have to connect to the actual module, search the forum theres a way with Esys to clear errors/codes or use an aftermarket device. After that you might be able to update the car again..
I got a Bosch KTS unit from a friend that works for all cars inlcuding mine, but it also can't connect to the car now either, it worked beofre without issue. Was hopeing that would connect and clear errors.

I can connect with ISTA+ using DCan cable, and clear errors, but there all just can't communicate to modue, and the only other error is the ZGM with failed programming.

So is there a way to get it out of failed programming, reset etc... or manually flash it again outside of ISTA.

As its reporting its in a failed programming state I am hoping it can be recovered as its "talking" to ISTA.

With E-SYS I can read the VIN, but not much else using ICOM.

Any advice on how I may be able to use ESYS to bring it back to life, as its the only module that appears to respond.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I got a Bosch KTS unit from a friend that works for all cars inlcuding mine, but it also can't connect to the car now either, it worked beofre without issue. Was hopeing that would connect and clear errors.

I can connect with ISTA+ using DCan cable, and clear errors, but there all just can't communicate to modue, and the only other error is the ZGM with failed programming.

So is there a way to get it out of failed programming, reset etc... or manually flash it again outside of ISTA.

As its reporting its in a failed programming state I am hoping it can be recovered as its "talking" to ISTA.

With E-SYS I can read the VIN, but not much else using ICOM.

Any advice on how I may be able to use ESYS to bring it back to life, as its the only module that appears to respond.

Thanks
I wish I can help.. did you search bimmerfest/bimmerpost etc. there must be someone who went trough the same situation.

Also send "shawnsheridan" a message he is a programming guru on both forums.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:40 AM   #9
IrishLad
Rep

Quote:
I wish I can help.. did you search bimmerfest/bimmerpost etc. there must be someone who went trough the same situation.

Also send "shawnsheridan" a message he is a programming guru on both forums.
Thanks I have posted on a few forums but not getting much luck at the minute.
Will PM shawnsheridan and see if he can help!

If anyone else has some advice it would be great.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:51 AM   #10
IrishLad
Rep

Anymore advice, can do a TeamViewer if anyone is willing?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #11
IrishLad
Rep

This is all I can see when I connect E-SYS via the ICOM Gateway.

I can't do anything with the ECU to get ZGM out of failed programming state.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Can't imagine your frustration....but wouldn't it best if you towed it to the dealer by now?
Not sure if it's prudent asking for help when your car is immobilized.

Doubt anybody here would be willing to log in remotely and fix as they could potentially be blamed for it.

I know you're asking for help on good will, but I think it's best if you bite the bullet and have it towed to dealer!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #13
IrishLad
Rep

Hi,
Dealer is my very last resort, for a few reason, my closet dealer is 1h30min away driving, also ideally I don't want a record of this on their systems if they take it in, as had issues before around software modifications and they won't accept the car and make things very awkward.

So I want to exhaust all avenues of support before I take that as the nexst step, and am hopeful someone who had a similar issue can help resolve, as there is a lot of ZGM/ZGW related topics out there, so its not that uncommon (unfortunately).

But thanks, I will keep trying everything I can before I have to give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelaos View Post
Can't imagine your frustration....but wouldn't it best if you towed it to the dealer by now?
Not sure if it's prudent asking for help when your car is immobilized.

Doubt anybody here would be willing to log in remotely and fix as they could potentially be blamed for it.

I know you're asking for help on good will, but I think it's best if you bite the bullet and have it towed to dealer!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #14
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Hi,
Dealer is my very last resort, for a few reason, my closet dealer is 1h30min away driving, also ideally I don't want a record of this on their systems if they take it in, as had issues before around software modifications and they won't accept the car and make things very awkward.

So I want to exhaust all avenues of support before I take that as the nexst step, and am hopeful someone who had a similar issue can help resolve, as there is a lot of ZGM/ZGW related topics out there, so its not that uncommon (unfortunately).

Yeah, I see your predicament. Hope you resolve it and keep up posted because any of us could be in that boat!
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      07-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #15
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Hi,

I don't want to sound like dushebag (like my name suggests ), but maybe it's time to ask for help and use services of experienced coders who know it inside out? Most of them charge mere $75 flat rate - certainly it's not a lot compared to hardships you can endure in your situation if dealer will flag your car etc.

Lots of coders who do it professionally, I'm sure they've seen it all and can help you out with this issue. I recently bricked my Kombi module and the guy restored it back to stock in remote session in like 10 min. Your situation might need a bit more time, but if it can be done - they can do it.
Appreciate 2
Russmov1328.00
      07-27-2018, 04:03 AM   #16
IrishLad
Rep

Hi All,
Back online, module was stuck in bootloader mode.
So had a mate use ECU bench software to direct flash the firmware back, VIN and Serial wasnt lost so didn't need any coding.

The only remaining issue is the TCB lost its coding so no online functions work, so just need to revise it and should be back to normal.

Thanks

Last edited by IrishLad; 07-27-2018 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
menelaos1226.00
      07-27-2018, 04:05 AM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Hi All,
So had a mate use ECU bench software to direct flash the firmware back, VIN and Serial wasnt lost so didn't need any coding.

The only remaining issue is the TCU lost its coding so no online functions work, so just need to revise it and should be back to normal.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #18
martis27j
Registered
Rep
Drives: E/F/G serie

Quote:
Hi All,

The only remaining issue is the TCB lost its coding so no online functions work, so just need to revise it and should be back to normal.

Thanks
Hi IrishLad, i have same problem on f07 with ZGW. its in boot mode. Can you help me. How you get back that module in contact? what tools you have use?
Thanks
Appreciate 0