BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Cold weather and two questions

Hello everyone!
It is pretty cold around here now, and two issue popped up. I would like to ask if anyone experienced following.
After cold morning start, (about 20 degrees F), for the first 20-25 min drivers side heater blows warm air, but every like 30-45 sec blows cold air. I can hear how something opens/ closes inside the dash and airflow is being changed to cold.
Also, after rear defroster turned on, does it stay on constantly? I thought it supposed to turn off after "some" time?
Thank you.

2017 X5
Winter package
      12-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Hi - regarding your first question, no, I do not experience the blasts of cold air. Did you try adjusting the red/blue color wheel (or whatever it is referred to)? If your temperature is set high, but color wheel is on blue (cooler) that may be creating the variation you experience.

As to the second issue, I would also expect the rear defroster to turn off after a while; however, I am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #3
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Hi - regarding your first question, no, I do not experience the blasts of cold air. Did you try adjusting the red/blue color wheel (or whatever it is referred to)? If your temperature is set high, but color wheel is on blue (cooler) that may be creating the variation you experience.

As to the second issue, I would also expect the rear defroster to turn off after a while; however, I am not sure.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, all dials are in the red zone. I scheduled a trip to a dealer.
      12-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
Thank you for the reply. Yes, all dials are in the red zone. I scheduled a trip to a dealer.
Okay....without seeing a pic of how you have your automatic climate control set...it's nearly impossible to give you good advice.

If you have the stratified air dial turned all the way to the red (this is the dial in the center of the dash's middle face vent)...then you have it set to always send HEATED air. But we have NOT clue as to what temperature you have set on the control panel.

If you have the temp set at...let's say 72°F...and the stratified air dial set all the way to the RED...if the temp inside the cabin gets higher than 72°F...then it will blow cooler air into the cabin to maintain the set temperature if you are using the AUTO setting.

So again, not knowing what you know or how you have the control panel set...it could simply be operator error...or not having a complete grasp of how the automatic climate system works along with the stratified air dial for the face vents (dash vents) that allow you to temper the air cooler/warmer than the set temp on the control panel.

Have you tried setting the temp on the control panel to a comfortable temp for you (where you don't need to keep changing it)...then set the stratified air dial in the dash's center vent to NEUTRAL (halfway between blue and red setting)...then set the IHKA control panel on AUTO. See if you still get the blast of cold air every 30-45 seconds (probably the system trying to maintain the temp setting you've selected along with blasting heated air from the face vents based on the setting of the stratified air dial).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Okay....without seeing a pic of how you have your automatic climate control set...it's nearly impossible to give you good advice.

If you have the stratified air dial turned all the way to the red (this is the dial in the center of the dash's middle face vent)...then you have it set to always send HEATED air. But we have NOT clue as to what temperature you have set on the control panel.

If you have the temp set at...let's say 72°F...and the stratified air dial set all the way to the RED...if the temp inside the cabin gets higher than 72°F...then it will blow cooler air into the cabin to maintain the set temperature if you are using the AUTO setting.

So again, not knowing what you know or how you have the control panel set...it could simply be operator error...or not having a complete grasp of how the automatic climate system works along with the stratified air dial for the face vents (dash vents) that allow you to temper the air cooler/warmer than the set temp on the control panel.

Have you tried setting the temp on the control panel to a comfortable temp for you (where you don't need to keep changing it)...then set the stratified air dial in the dash's center vent to NEUTRAL (halfway between blue and red setting)...then set the IHKA control panel on AUTO. See if you still get the blast of cold air every 30-45 seconds (probably the system trying to maintain the temp setting you've selected along with blasting heated air from the face vents based on the setting of the stratified air dial).
Thank you )))
Ok, ok, Temperature dial is all the way up.( 84 F ). Auto is not engaged. Honestly i never engage AUTO, as i sort of like to be in control))). Air is warm, but every about 45 sec blasts cold air for about 20 sec.
      12-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Ahhh...before taking it her in to the dealership...I' would try a different setting (perhaps "testing" the AUTO feature).

From what you just explained in post #5...it could almost be compared to setting your home's thermostat on 84°F...then your spouse or children are cracking open a window to cool the room down.

You could even try lowering the temp (to somewhere in the 70°-75°F range), and setting the stratified air dial on neutral (or perhaps one or two clicks into the red if you're really that cold)...and still NOT use the AUTO button...then see if you still get the blasts of cold air.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh...before taking it her in to the dealership...I' would try a different setting (perhaps "testing" the AUTO feature).

From what you just explained in post #5...it could almost be compared to setting your home's thermostat on 84°F...then your spouse or children are cracking open a window to cool the room down.

You could even try lowering the temp (to somewhere in the 70°-75°F range), and setting the stratified air dial on neutral (or perhaps one or two clicks into the red if you're really that cold)...and still NOT use the AUTO button...then see if you still get the blasts of cold air.
Wow)) That is what i thought too, although it was not as cold this morning as it was for a few mornings in a raw.
      12-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Something I'm curious about is even with the thermostat on 65 and air vent dial all the way down with blue the car still puts out warm air. It's cold here in TN but I'm hot natured and sweat easily. I shouldn't have to turn the AC to get cooler air if desired. It's almost as if the car is smart enough to know the outside temp is cold and no matter what the thermostat is set on it will spit out warm air.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Something I'm curious about is even with the thermostat on 65 and air vent dial all the way down with blue the car still puts out warm air. It's cold here in TN but I'm hot natured and sweat easily. I shouldn't have to turn the AC to get cooler air if desired. It's almost as if the car is smart enough to know the outside temp is cold and no matter what the thermostat is set on it will spit out warm air.
Do you have AUTO engaged? If yes, the AC compressor will run so that if the condensation sensor requires dehumidification...the air inside the cabin will be dehumidified. This means that depending on the temp setting you select and the ambient air temp etc...the air can be heated & cooled to maintain the cabin temperature as well as prevent the windows from fogging over.

If you don't want the AC compressor to turn on...then do not engage the AUTO setting.

Here's some info about the IHKA control panel and how the climate control system may operate depending on different settings and data from various sensors:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ons/1VnXUDTv1I
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #10
artem123
Captain
Rep

It appears that my driver side thinks it is always in AUTO mode. Despite the fact that it is NOT. I will take her to the dealer after the holidays.
PS I checked with bimmercode if anything was coded. Negative.
PPS Can anyone confirm if rear defroster turns off by itself after "some" time?

Last edited by artem123; 12-13-2018 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Do you have AUTO engaged? If yes, the AC compressor will run so that if the condensation sensor requires dehumidification...the air inside the cabin will be dehumidified. This means that depending on the temp setting you select and the ambient air temp etc...the air can be heated & cooled to maintain the cabin temperature as well as prevent the windows from fogging over.

If you don't want the AC compressor to turn on...then do not engage the AUTO setting.

Here's some info about the IHKA control panel and how the climate control system may operate depending on different settings and data from various sensors:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ons/1VnXUDTv1I
I appreciate the lengthy reply but no, I never use the auto setting.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
geedup35
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 50i - DHP

Wondering to see if OP found a resolution to this.

Mine is also behaving similar to OPs with cold air every 30-40 seconds. I followed all of Qsilver7 suggestions and have still experienced this behavior.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #13
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedup35 View Post
Wondering to see if OP found a resolution to this.

Mine is also behaving similar to OPs with cold air every 30-40 seconds. I followed all of Qsilver7 suggestions and have still experienced this behavior.
Yes, after a trip to a dealer issue was resolved. The unit was re-set and calibrated. The issue is gone.
      01-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #14
geedup35
Second Lieutenant
Rep

awesome! Making my appointment now.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #15
geedup35
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So made my appointment but now I'm not sure if it's the same behavior anymore. Now only cold air blows from the dash vents no matter what the settings are for the control panel or vent. However, consistent heat is coming from the defrost, foot and rear vents.

Guess we'll find out on the 31st.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #16
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

My rear defrost turns off eventually but it takes a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 12:03 AM   #17
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

I actually did some coding recently and now have this issue. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #18
chumbedi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5e40 (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
Hello everyone!
It is pretty cold around here now, and two issue popped up. I would like to ask if anyone experienced following.
After cold morning start, (about 20 degrees F), for the first 20-25 min drivers side heater blows warm air, but every like 30-45 sec blows cold air. I can hear how something opens/ closes inside the dash and airflow is being changed to cold.
Also, after rear defroster turned on, does it stay on constantly? I thought it supposed to turn off after "some" time?
Thank you.

2017 X5
Winter package
Sounds like irratic behaviour of tempertature sensor, which gets a wrong signal and always "assumes" regulation is required (noise - vents opening / closing), take it to the dealer and please post once fixed.
I had been informed after approx. 30 minutes rear defrost turns off, but never noticed as I turn off immediately once window is clear.
Appreciate 0