BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

06-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
daveinct
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

2016 F85 X5M audio system failure / "No warning tones"

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I have a 2016 F85 X5M, and yesterday after work I started up the vehicle as I always do, and noticed there were none of the usual audible tones etc, and the iDrive screen displayed the message "No warning tones". None of the available audio sources would function whatsoever, and the radio power button wouldn't even let me turn off the audio system. I have the upgraded Bang & Olufsen audio system, where the middle speaker pops up out of the dash, and pressing the power button had no effect as it usually would. I have attached a picture of the error message.

Turning the vehicle ignition off and then back on also resulted in the same behavior. Searches on the Internet for this error message seem to indicate that either the amplifier was malfunctioning/dead, or there is a problem with the battery (or batteries, as I think this vehicle has multiple if I'm not mistaken?). I called the local dealership right before they closed and set up an appointment to take it in for service next week.

However, later that evening after the vehicle sat for a couple hours, I started it up and everything randomly works again.... Which is almost worse to me, because now when I take it to the dealership they may say "everything is fine" as they love to do (based on my experience at least). I'm hoping that the error is stored in memory and they can identify it. Meanwhile, I'm afraid that it could really be a problem with a battery, and I could be left stranded someplace over the weekend. Thoughts???

This is too new of a vehicle to be having this type of problem! I also have the brake squeal, which is even worse since the dealership replaced the pads (yes, I know, high performance brakes make noise, but this is beyond acceptable when it sounds like a f'ing bus or tractor trailer and the dealership doesn't see it as an issue). I also had the clicking noise when turning which the dealership fixed. This thing has been in the shop one too many times for the less than 1.5 yr period I've leased it. My first BMW and maybe my last........

And oh, on my drive home from work today, the front proximity sensor apparently misfired as if a car was right in front of me, high pitch tone was emitted, and the vehicle unexpectedly slammed on the brakes on an open road. WTF is going on with this thing??????
Attached Images

Last edited by daveinct; 06-30-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
D350z
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Hello Dave,

I experienced this issue once.

The error code is issued because of weakness in the battery.

The audio is one of the first systems which goes into safe mode in effort to preserve battery power for core systems.

That said, the main feature which I found to put excessive strain on the battery was the auto start stop feature.

I shut mine of and have not experienced the issue since.

To reboot, car needs to completely shutdown prior to restart. (Park for 2-3 hours)

D350Z
Appreciate 2
HMN356.00
ajob454.50
      07-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Any chance you've had any water exposure? E.g. sunroof or windows cracked.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #4
daveinct
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Any chance you've had any water exposure? E.g. sunroof or windows cracked.
The only water exposure would be a car wash or when it rains outside (never with windows down), so nothing unusual. However, there could be a leak someplace which I am unaware of. Another odd side effect I've noticed since the issue with the audio system is that the usual warning noise when the rear tail gate opens has stopped working, which I actually prefer, but it's still odd... Also, the usual interior chimes when starting up the vehicle no longer occur, though the audio system is now otherwise functional. I will be taking it in for (yet another) service soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
daveinct
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D350z View Post
Hello Dave,

I experienced this issue once.

The error code is issued because of weakness in the battery.

The audio is one of the first systems which goes into safe mode in effort to preserve battery power for core systems.

That said, the main feature which I found to put excessive strain on the battery was the auto start stop feature.

I shut mine of and have not experienced the issue since.

To reboot, car needs to completely shutdown prior to restart. (Park for 2-3 hours)

D350Z
Hi D350Z,

Thanks for your feedback. I don't use the auto stop-start feature, and it has been disabled since day 1. Hopefully all of my symptoms are related to a battery issue as you describe, but if so, it would be great if the vehicle threw a noticeable error which indicated this, which is unfortunately not the case. It will be taken in for service (yet again) soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #6
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C (F90)

Got this error yesterday and it cleared up after a shut down and restart 20 mins later. Just wondering what you found? Was it a battery issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinct View Post
Hi D350Z,

Thanks for your feedback. I don't use the auto stop-start feature, and it has been disabled since day 1. Hopefully all of my symptoms are related to a battery issue as you describe, but if so, it would be great if the vehicle threw a noticeable error which indicated this, which is unfortunately not the case. It will be taken in for service (yet again) soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Just curious if anyone of you have done any coding on yours. I only started experiencing it after performing some coding to my 2016. I am pretty sure it is not a battery issue, lock your car and let the vehicle go to sleep, when you start it after it will work again. 20 min to 30 min. Keep your key fob away from the vehicle during this time. I am curious what your dealer says the issue is.
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesoM View Post
Just curious if anyone of you have done any coding on yours. I only started experiencing it after performing some coding to my 2016. I am pretty sure it is not a battery issue, lock your car and let the vehicle go to sleep, when you start it after it will work again. 20 min to 30 min. Keep your key fob away from the vehicle during this time. I am curious what your dealer says the issue is.
I did recently do coding using Bimmercode app...only minor changes. My car is also new...only three weeks old. My car was sitting a few days over the past two weeks unlocked getting Xpel and a coating done and I know the car does not sleep fully in that state so I am wondering if it is battery related. I also have been doing a lot of short trips/stops this past week. I have ordered the BMW/Ctek battery charger and will hook that up overnight once it arrives. The issue has not come back so far since Saturday.

I actually dropped it off this morning for the 1200 mile service and mentioned the issue but since it was not scheduled for anything other than the 1200 mile service, they can't look at that issue or check for any error codes.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

It also happened to me few time. Before and after coding so not relate to coding for sure
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #10
daveinct
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdw View Post
Got this error yesterday and it cleared up after a shut down and restart 20 mins later. Just wondering what you found? Was it a battery issue?
Sorry for the late reply, just saw this. I've experienced the problem 2 more times since then, and it's annoying as hell on a vehicle of this caliber that I pay so much money for. I have discovered nothing, and the dealer doesn't care whatsoever. The service is horrid up here in CT.

Also, another poster asked if I had done any coding, and the answer is no.

Really fed up with this vehicle. The squealing brakes have become almost unbearable. Also, I had taken it in once already for the wheel bearing issue where it clicks when turning, they supposedly "fixed it", but that's back again too and worse than ever. What a joke!!!!!! I did take up my concerns with BMW NA already, and I received something, but it doesn't make up for the inconvenience I continue to experience on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #11
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Mine has not done it again so far...I have also been fully charging the battery once or twice a week since then. I agree that service could be better in CT...I have found that to be true of other brands as well...my Porsche experience was the worst and with three different dealers.
Appreciate 0