BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
IrishLad
Rep
Drives: E60, E70, E90

ISTA+ 2C3200 Swirl Flap Actuator mechanically Faulty (Lever Broken)

Hi All,
This error has reappeared after a days driving.
I cleared it earlier today took a short drive and no error, then a longer drive and it shows up again.

Anyone any experience with this error, I have replaced Swirls Flaps on E60 and E70 before including cleaning intakes and EGR delete.

But that was for prevention, on my 2015 X5 F15 sDrive25d I didn't expect it to have swirl flaps.

The diagnostics show the air intake is not whats expected, first screenshot is what it currently reads, the 2nd is what ISTA says the reading should be like.

Any advice before I start tracking that controller?

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by IrishLad; 08-27-2018 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:46 AM   #2
IrishLad
Rep

Just researching this and a few YouTube videos show swirl flaps are internal to the manifold until E Series.

So not easy to remove it replace, but before I start that was hoping someone might have been through this issue and can offer some advise?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
IrishLad
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Remove the intake and inspect, likely dirty as f##k. Same for EGR. You can remove just the flaps, leaving the shaft in (or plugging with a screw).
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
IrishLad
Rep

Thanks.

Have you removed the flaps and left just the shaft as from what I can see it doesn't look to easy to remove without breaking them, unlike the external rod activated on the E Series?

Last edited by IrishLad; 08-28-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 04:26 AM   #6
IrishLad
Rep

For anyone who is interested.

I removed the intake manifold and the swirl flaps.
As ISTA reports the actual arm that connects to the actuator was broken.

They where VERY badly blocked up, I suspect they where so caked in carbon and dirt that the arm broke as they could no longer fully close without catching on the edges.

So its sorted now, you have to reset the Swirl Flap actuator BEFORE replacing them using ISTA, I assume this is to reset the amount of movement they are allowed and resets them to fully open and close again.
Appreciate 1
MrTookies457.50
      09-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLad View Post
For anyone who is interested.

I removed the intake manifold and the swirl flaps.
As ISTA reports the actual arm that connects to the actuator was broken.

They were VERY badly blocked up, I suspect they were so caked in carbon and dirt that the arm broke as they could no longer fully close without catching on the edges.

So its sorted now, you have to reset the Swirl Flap actuator BEFORE replacing them using ISTA, I assume this is to reset the amount of movement they are allowed and resets them to fully open and close again.
Interesting...Curious what your mileage was when this happened this is what some of my intakes looked like at 100k Post #30 https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1425461&page=2

I had the same issue as you had around 75k miles, and the dealer had to replace everything after they messed up on something else and I ended up luckily not paying a dime.

Not sure if you have this stuff over in Ireland but in the US this stuff works wonders... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 02:47 AM   #8
IrishLad
Rep

Hi,
It's 80k and was a lot dirtier than I expected for the milage and engine model.

I cleaned out the manifold by soaking in petrol overnight then finished with a cleaner similar to what you posted, and installed a new swirl flap rail.

I am going to map the engine and do an EFT delete and block off the feed pipe into the manifold, the older E series had a vac pipe you could remove and block, this engine doesn't.

As not worth having the carbon built up again.

I took some pictures that I can post when I am home.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #9
mradziol
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535dx 313KM

Hi, I got the same problem with swirl flaps. All was cleaned very carefully and errors still occurs. Did you manage with the problem?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
mradziol
Registered
Rep

heyy, anyone could help me?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #11
IrishLad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradziol View Post
Hi, I got the same problem with swirl flaps. All was cleaned very carefully and errors still occurs. Did you manage with the problem?

Thanks!
Hi only seeing this post now!

Did you get it sorted, assumed you did by now but if not read below.

You have to reset the swirl flap before replacing (or cleaning them) as I mentioned above, otherwise the error won't clear which is what happened me the first time.

So reset the controller, then remove the connector to the actuator, then reconnect and reset again (so the car things you reset it before removal if that makes sense by just disconnecting and reconnecting between resets.)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #12
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLad View Post
Hi only seeing this post now!

Did you get it sorted, assumed you did by now but if not read below.

You have to reset the swirl flap before replacing (or cleaning them) as I mentioned above, otherwise the error won't clear which is what happened me the first time.

So reset the controller, then remove the connector to the actuator, then reconnect and reset again (so the car things you reset it before removal if that makes sense by just disconnecting and reconnecting between resets.)
Has anybody actually deleted the swirl flaps on the F15 and if so what’s the benefit? See on the E Series quite a few people have... but it’s also different design...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:33 AM   #13
mradziol
Registered
Rep

Hi, could you tell me where I can find in ISTA the procedure for checking the swirl flaps as you did? Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #14
mradziol
Registered
Rep

My ISTA is 4.01.20 and i cannot find anywhere the procedure for swirl flaps test
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:15 PM   #15
heple
Rep
Drives: 2013 F15 3.0d

Resurecting this

Uploaded a pic of how to reset the adaptions in ISTA, its the air mass adaptions that need resetting.

I've just gone through this and not managed to get rid of the 2C3200 error code. Followed the steps resetting before and after unplugging the swirl flap controller and that has not worked.

I have subsequently changed the swirl flap controller to no effect. Now i think there may be an issue with the swirl flaps themeselves or maybe how i have fitted them. I have had them out now 5 times and still cannot see anything obviously wrong or broken, is there anything i should be conscious of when assembling the swirl flaps into the manifold? All the swirl flaps look identical and as they were so clogged when i took them out i wasn't able to maintain the order even though they all look identical.

Its very weird the car seems to be restricted at first start up then if i turn it off and re-start it then the restriction is not there. The error code still maintains.

I have managed to run the swirl flap test and get identical results as IrishLad, but then after a few cycles of stopping/starting the car it appears the DDE turns off the swirl flap controller and then when you run the swirl flap test the blue line (flap position) just flat lines across the bottom and the controller doesn't move during the test.

Anyone else struggled with this?

I am in two minds to just remove the swirl flaps, fit a bung in the end of the shaft and have it mapped out.

Also the DDE is now complaining the DPF soot levels are high as as the regen is blocked because of the swirl flap error in the DDE Arrgg!!!

Thanks

Craig
Attached Images

Last edited by heple; 05-22-2020 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #16
billy_bob
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d F31

Hi Heple,

Did you manage to get this resolved in the end? I have exactly the same issue and symptoms that you have described. Restricted power on first start, followed by normal power if do a quick engine off/on again.

In terms of troubleshooting, I have followed the very same approach - took out the inlet manifold, cleaned-up the swirl flaps such that they were super smooth and free-moving when they got reinstalled. The arm-follower for the actuator is a bit fiddly so when it didn't work at first I thought I did something wrong here. However, I've since had this in and out a few times and I am certain it's installed correctly. I have also reset the adaptation on ISTA using the method described in this thread. With all this done, it still shows a flat blue line during a swirl-flap test. One other thing I tried was to remove the actuator from car and run the swirl-flap test with it loose; it does show the motor arm moving in free-air, which further adds to my confusion. I was going to buy a new swirl-flap controlled thinking that this has died due to fighting excessive load for a prolonged period but your experience suggests this is unlikely to be the case.

All this started as I having been getting quite a lot of smoke under acceleration and also occassionally when I go to accelerate, it hesitates, followed by a cloud of smoke from the exhaust. I gather the fuel injected is not being matched by the right amount of air. I was hoping this was swirl-flap related issue but I reckon it may be more - but still need to solve this first!

Any update you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Shane
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 02:40 AM   #17
heple
Rep

Shane,

I figured out why we get the error code. Its because the swirl flap controller arm goes past its intended rest point (see pic) and triggers an internal switch that tells the DDE that the arm has detached from the swirl flaps.

Now ours haven't detached but the whole assembly must be rotating past its intended stop point. As you will be aware the system does have stop point in the full closed position but the motor is controlling the full open position on ours (default rest state of the motor) and shouldn't be. I can only conclude there should be a mechanical stop point that is worn/not working on ours. I tried to find where in the manifold within the swirl flap assembly there was something that was a functional stop point and couldn't see anything.

In the end i removed the swirl flaps, fitted a bung and then put a screw in the swirl flap controller (bodged...) to mimic the stop point. I set the screw in the correct position using the test function in ista but its location is very easy to copy from the pic. You do lose some low down performance doing this but the car returns back to normal in function and error codes go and the swirl flap test works. I am about to have mine remapped to resolve the performance impact. Alternative solution is most likely a new inlet manifold.

I scored two lines on the controller in the pic to show where the arm rested without the screw and with the screw in place (position its meant to rest when assembled).

I know my controller had no issue as i replaced, that leaves the arms or the inlet being worn as the main candidates.

hope this helps.

I have also done some research on what creates the blocked swirl flap issue. Its definitely the combination of oil vapors from the rocker cover via the pcv valve and exhaust gases from the egr. The key is to stop the oil vapors, so i will be installing a oil catch can to prevent the sludge build up.

Craig
Attached Images

Last edited by heple; 04-25-2021 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 3
      07-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #18
heple
Rep

What i also don't get is how some owners with the N57 engine seem to be able to remove swirl flaps and fit a bung with no DDE issues whereas some of us get this error code.

Suggests we have different versions of the DDE or updated software.

Not sure if there are any mechanical differences. i know we have electronic controlled swirl flap controller and electronic turbo wastegate so DDE certainly has the ability to detect and remove boost on ours but would of thought that was the same on other N57 vehicles but not looked into it.

Craig
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 03:23 PM   #19
magicmike119
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116D Sport F20

This helped me immensely, Thank YOU! i put the screw in exactly as your picture and the swirl flaps test passed in ISTA and DDE was now rid of all errors, Genius!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 06:50 AM   #20
castling
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive25d (160kw, 218CV)

After screw, fault 253400 Swirl-flap actuator, position control: swirl flaps open too

Hi all,

Thank you so much for this awesome thread.

In my case, fault 2C3200 insisted on appearing whenever I connected ISTA, no matter I deleted the error several times.

I bought a new inlet manifold and replaced the old one. The fault 2C3200 continued appearing.

So, I read this thread and I tried the screw that heple suggests.

Now, the fault 2C3200 is not longer appearing but, on the other hand, this 2 new codes have started to come out:

253400 Swirl-flap actuator, position control: swirl flaps open too wide
278F00 Swirl flaps: mechanically faulty

is because of the screw? I've placed it as it appears in the photos... did those fault codes appear to you?

Thanks for the help, while waiting for your response, I think I'm going to try to take the screw off and see if the initial fault appears again
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 10:01 PM   #21
oldztimer
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 E90, X5 F15, '94 Miata

Appreciate this thread...

I've been fighting an ODB2 error of P2004... which led me to cleaning out my intake manifold... that didn't fix it. The actuator looked like it was working, so I found the linkage arms online and tried installing those... NOPE! So I ordered an OEM actuator... hoping third time's the charm. NO LUCK!

I have to assume it's something like described here with the actuator moving too far back., even though I have a new actuator 😕

Has this solved the issue for more folks? Triggering more errors sounds like a risk.

I'm currently trying to acquire ISTA+, since I've never needed it before. So I haven't been able to follow most of the steps folks have talked about

Have folks found any other solutions? I want to trade this car and don't like the idea of the screw solution... though I will use it as a last resort.

One idea I thought of was to 3d-print something that can attach and position to block the arm like the screw... Maybe it just sits in those fins of the actuator housing?

Thank you for any ideas and input...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 05:35 AM   #22
teo_sk8
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 e36 Evo

Hello Bimmerpost Community,
I want to drop a quick note about something that might make life a bit easier
I designed a 3D model that is a fix for the Swirl Flaps mechanical fault, broken, loose, or worn swirl flaps levers.
Just open the swirl flaps actuator and click it in. With this fix, you can eliminate the 2c3200 fault and you can also delete the swirl flaps and will not need any software mods. It is tested on N47, N57, B57 engines. Here is the link: https://cults3d.com/:1649456

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
Nath4n34.00