fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin Nauti View Post
My weekend project.. I installed 2 JL Audio 12w1v3 subs in a sealed enclosure
(did not have air space for ported) in the trunk area in storage area. I still need to do my grill with perforated metal flush with the floor to cover the subs to keep them safe.

I also installed a JL 600/1 sub amp and a LOC/EQ. I had this left over from previous car. I may add amps in the future for the mids and highs. I installed the remote sub level control in the panel under the CD player.
it looks great!
how did you mount the amp on that location? some custom brackets ?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #24
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i M Sport Frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuzila View Post
it looks great!
how did you mount the amp on that location? some custom brackets ?
Yes I made some brackets out of heavy gauge sheet metal and fasten them to stock locations.
2013 Harley Softail, Road King, Road Glide show bikes
2010 40' Express Cruisers Yacht
Appreciate 1
fbuzila365.50
      10-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #25
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36>F16>G30

Cant wait to install my 2x 10W3s in ported enclosures in trunk area. They should fit just right. Didn't wanna go crazy over building a custom box)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      10-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #26
rptam1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Here is my install I got completed yesterday. Focal 10" sub, JL Audio mono amp, Audio Control LC2i and remote bass knob. Bryon at Seismic Autosound in Concord, CA did the install. You can tell from his work he is recognized as one of the top 50 car audio installers in the U.S.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #27
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

finished mine too; bavsound speakers upgrade and 12" sub
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #28
rptam1
Enlisted Member
Rep

What are your thoughts on the Bav Sounds over the HK? Worth the $ and time to replace? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #29
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rptam1 View Post
What are your thoughts on the Bav Sounds over the HK? Worth the $ and time to replace? Thanks
You can tell the bavsound speakers are more clear, not a huge difference, but noticeable. Also keep in mind these are new speakers and need time to "warm up" and they only get better in time. But also I'm not an audiophile type person.

The sub+amp in the trunk makes the bigger difference in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
rptam111.50
      10-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #30
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

What is the best bang for the buck audio upgrade here? Just add a slim 10" sub the in spare tire well, and you are good?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #31
rptam1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
What is the best bang for the buck audio upgrade here? Just add a slim 10" sub the in spare tire well, and you are good?
If you don't have the third row, JL makes a 10" and 12" enclosure that fits that space well. Power it with a mono amp, Audio Control LC2i and remote bass adjustment knob and you will be good to go. The factory amp and HK speakers will power the highs/mids with no problem while your addition powers the low end.

To give a good comparison, it is like running a home theatre set up with a powered sub vs. not running one at all; night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #32
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK170 View Post
Just curious if anyone has ran a separate amp to the front underseat woofers? I was thinking of doing the BavSound underseat replacements with an additional amp powering those. I have the spare tire option so very limited room in the trunk underhatch.

I see there is a Stealth Box for the E70, but not sure it would fit the F15.

http://www.jlaudio.com/product/54216...29_%2707-%2713
I could make you a single box for that back corner cubby. You would need to tell me what speaker you are going to want to use.

As for a separate amp for the under the seat subs. It would not make that big of a different unless you have different speakers to handle the increased power.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #33
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36>F16>G30

Anybody knows from their experience if the stock battery and alternator will work well with a separate amp of 1100W on top of HK?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #34
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx1sq View Post
Quote:
Just curious if anyone has ran a separate amp to the front underseat woofers? I was thinking of doing the BavSound underseat replacements with an additional amp powering those. I have the spare tire option so very limited room in the trunk underhatch.

I could make you a single box for that back corner cubby. You would need to tell me what speaker you are going to want to use.

As for a separate amp for the under the seat subs. It would make that big of a different unless you have different speakers to handle the increased power.
what about a box in the cubby for a 12 inch mtx thunder 9500?
      10-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #35
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Peaks View Post
Quote:
Quote:

As for a separate amp for the under the seat subs. It would make that big of a different unless you have different speakers to handle the increased power.
Maybe it depends on the depth of that sub. If remember correctly that is a pretty deep sub.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:04 AM   #36
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe it depends on the depth of that sub. If remember correctly that is a pretty deep sub.
So I did some research it's going to be close but it's do able.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:05 AM   #37
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duercos View Post
Anybody knows from their experience if the stock battery and alternator will work well with a separate amp of 1100W on top of HK?
Yes, I have a 2k and (2) 175x4 amps on a stock battery.
Appreciate 1
duercos201.00
      10-21-2018, 06:11 AM   #38
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Question

Quote:
If you don't have the third row, JL makes a 10" and 12" enclosure that fits that space well. Power it with a mono amp, Audio Control LC2i and remote bass adjustment knob and you will be good to go. The factory amp and HK speakers will power the highs/mids with no problem while your addition powers the low end.

To give a good comparison, it is like running a home theatre set up with a powered sub vs. not running one at all; night and day difference.
Do you have to do anything to the storage cover if you do that? Or are you just firing a woofer directly into it?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #39
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do you have to do anything to the storage cover if you do that? Or are you just firing a woofer directly into it?
You can leave it covered. There is no need to cut a hole innit.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #40
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (F15)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did you get to doing yours yet, I'm definitely interested? The reason I am considering this is I have 3rd row seats and suspension upgrades so space is super limitrd.
      10-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #41
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did you get to doing yours yet, I'm definitely interested? The reason I am considering this is I have 3rd row seats and suspension upgrades so space is super limitrd.
I plan on it this winter. My daughter start preschool, which I ll have more time to do it now. Also the hurricane pushed everything back. I have an Fi audio q Neo 12" and it's 11" deep and it's super close. If I had a shallower sub it would fit fine. I ll do some more calculations with your sub and draw up a design. I ll message you later tonight.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:47 PM   #42
rptam1
Enlisted Member
Rep

I completely removed both plastic pieces in the rear giving you as much space as possible. They are sitting in my garage so when I sell it one day, it can all be returned to stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #43
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
You can tell the bavsound speakers are more clear, not a huge difference, but noticeable. Also keep in mind these are new speakers and need time to "warm up" and they only get better in time. But also I'm not an audiophile type person.

Are the Bavsound speakers the only replacements that work for the X5? What about upgrading the dash speaker? Does that help at all?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #44
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Are the Bavsound speakers the only replacements that work for the X5? What about upgrading the dash speaker? Does that help at all?
I'm pretty sure there are other options but I didn't look into too much.
Appreciate 0