12-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #177
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i M Sport Frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlengle View Post
Thanks. I will get the details of sub and amp. They are going to build a custom box for the JL sub. I'm also thinking of lining the tire compartment with dynamat to help with rattle, etc. anyone else used soundproofing in the tire compartment area?
Since my subs are firing up and open on top I did not use Dyna mat. I did carpet the box on all sides and also used spray glue to install a carpet liner under the box to help with vibrations between the box and the trunk. Sounds great and no real vibration noise from the box or bottom of trunk.
2013 Harley Softail, Road King, Road Glide show bikes
2010 40' Express Cruisers Yacht
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:41 PM   #178
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

So it's a bit off topic, but in terms of sound deadening for general quietness (not specifically for better music), wheel arches are where most of sound is coming in. Then doors.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #179
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
So it's a bit off topic, but in terms of sound deadening for general quietness (not specifically for better music), wheel arches are where most of sound is coming in. Then doors.
Somehow mines are from window glasses.

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #180
Johnr3524
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5

Garage List
2012 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Most of mine comes from the passenger seat...
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #181
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
Somehow mines are from window glasses.
Sorry for not been clear, I meant from areas that can be improved by sound deadening materials (self adhesive mats). I wish we could change glass to double glass, but it's not feasible.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #182
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnr3524 View Post
Most of mine comes from the passenger seat...
That's something we have to live with. I love my wife too
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #183
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

https://www.parts-express.com/sonic-...12-4---268-046

This is a cheap and good sound deadener.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      12-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #184
Alos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin Nauti View Post
Quote:
Is this converter mandatory if adding a mono amp and sub? I was at a local car stereo shop today and they did not mention anything about a controller.

Really it is depending on the amp you have selected. Some amps have built in High Level inputs and crossovers. Therefore not necessary to have a separate one.
But.... the quality is usually not as good as some of the better aftermarkets ones. Just talk to you local stereo shop on your selections and if needed they will tell you as they want to charge for every little thing they can sell.
Quote:
Quote:
Is this converter mandatory if adding a mono amp and sub? I was at a local car stereo shop today and they did not mention anything about a controller.

Really it is depending on the amp you have selected. Some amps have built in High Level inputs and crossovers. Therefore not necessary to have a separate one.
But.... the quality is usually not as good as some of the better aftermarkets ones. Just talk to you local stereo shop on your selections and if needed they will tell you as they want to charge for every little thing they can sell.
Thanks. I will get the details of sub and amp. They are going to build a custom box for the JL sub. I'm also thinking of lining the tire compartment with dynamat to help with rattle, etc. anyone else used soundproofing in the tire compartment area?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I used regular tool box liner which was 10 bucks in Home Depot and it doesn't rattle at all. The only thing that might rattle is the clip that flips down when you close that compartment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      12-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #185
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alos View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I used regular tool box liner which was 10 bucks in Home Depot and it doesn't rattle at all. The only thing that might rattle is the clip that flips down when you close that compartment.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

What box did you use and how much room above before lid?
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
iND Black Emblems and Badge
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #186
Alos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

What box did you use and how much room above before lid?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136112...112LG-TW3.html

And prob like 3inch after lid closed since you have 9in in total space
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #187
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The installer said that the sub I'm adding will tie into the same line/channel as the stock subs (under the seats), is that accurate or can they be totally separate? Regardless, if I have a bass nob will that just control the sub and not factory subs?
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #188
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The installer said that the sub I'm adding will tie into the same line/channel as the stock subs (under the seats), is that accurate or can they be totally separate? Regardless, if I have a bass nob will that just control the sub and not factory subs?
The line input to the new amp he is getting the signal from your stock floor subs. This is a normal approach most installers will do for all vehicles.

Its just a line in for that amp. It has no affect on your stock system. You can go a more expensive route and get a piece made exclusively for our vehicle that taps off the wiring harness to your stock amp... but really not necessary. What the installer is telling you will work fine and will not have any repercussions on your vehicle..

You will have complete control on the added subs with the new amp, its crossovers and gains. You will also be able to adjust on the fly if it has a remote knob.

I hope this answers your questions.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #189
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
The line input to the new amp he is getting the signal from your stock floor subs. This is a normal approach most installers will do for all vehicles.

Its just a line in for that amp. It has no affect on your stock system. You can go a more expensive route and get a piece made exclusively for our vehicle that taps off the wiring harness to your stock amp... but really not necessary. What the installer is telling you will work fine and will not have any repercussions on your vehicle..

You will have complete control on the added subs with the new amp, its crossovers and gains. You will also be able to adjust on the fly if it has a remote knob.

I hope this answers your questions.
Is there a line level in the cargo area already or does that need to be run from the head unit? I have the base level HIFI system, so not sure I even have a line level - let alone in the trunk. I was just reading up and realized I do have a powered sub laying around from an previous system that might fit perfectly into my spare tire well....... Hmmmmm
      12-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #190
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Is there a line level in the cargo area already or does that need to be run from the head unit? I have the base level HIFI system, so not sure I even have a line level - let alone in the trunk. I was just reading up and realized I do have a powered sub laying around from an previous system that might fit perfectly into my spare tire well....... Hmmmmm
They will use the speaker leads from your speakers as a line level input. Since the speaker power is already coming from an amplifier they must either use a line output converter or an amplifier with high level inputs from the factory amp to your new amp. If the amp has a built in high level input you are fine. Same goes with your powered sub that's laying around. If it does not have high level inputs you must use a line output converter or LOC for short so you can run RCA cables into the new amp.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      12-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #191
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
They will use the speaker leads from your speakers as a line level input. Since the speaker power is already coming from an amplifier they must either use a line output converter or an amplifier with high level inputs from the factory amp to your new amp. If the amp has a built in high level input you are fine. Same goes with your powered sub that's laying around. If it does not have high level inputs you must use a line output converter or LOC for short so you can run RCA cables into the new amp.
Are amps for all systems in the cargo area then?
      12-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #192
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are amps for all systems in the cargo area then?
Yes the one factory amp for the entire audio system is in the cargo area behind the panel rear drivers side where first aid lit and emergency triangle and cargo net are located.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #193
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Excellent - nice to have everything in the trunk. I'll have to pull it out and look, but I believe it has line level and high level if I remember right. I was not sure if the signal from the HU came to the amp at line level and was 100% powered by the amp or if it came powered from the HU and the amp just juiced it up. Either way - sounds like I should have everything I need to connect back there and it would be an easy connect.

Thanks for the info!
      12-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #194
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm installing a 12" sub (JL Audio CS112LG-TW3) to a JL Audio Amp (XD500/3v2) and the installer said I'm good to go, no other hardware pieces except the bass knob and cables. Apparently my amp can handle the high level inputs from stock amp. This amp also gives me a channel for the future if I want to upgrade my 4" speakers in the front.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #195
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
I'm installing a 12" sub (JL Audio CS112LG-TW3) to a JL Audio Amp (XD500/3v2) and the installer said I'm good to go, no other hardware pieces except the bass knob and cables. Apparently my amp can handle the high level inputs from stock amp. This amp also gives me a channel for the future if I want to upgrade my 4" speakers in the front.
you may want to double check that info; based on that amp's specs it supports:
high-level inputs — up to 8 volts RMS (about 16 watts)

I believe the BMW line is higher than 8 volts...but I'm not 100% sure;
on my car I installed a LOC just to be sure
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #196
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuzila View Post
Quote:
you may want to double check that info; based on that amp's specs it supports:
high-level inputs — up to 8 volts RMS (about 16 watts)

I believe the BMW line is higher than 8 volts...but I'm not 100% sure;
on my car I installed a LOC just to be sure
here is the email I received from the guy I bought the harness from:

On Friday, October 5, 2018, 9:00:34 AM EDT, Elias Jones <TechnicPnP@hotmail.com> wrote:

Please select X5 (F15) -> Top HiFi(688) at main page of www.TechnicPnP.com for the selection of products for your particular BMW model and OEM audio system. 

A LOC is required as the OEM amp outputs 35V+ peaks at the woofer outputs. No JL Audio sub amp can handle such high level inputs - it will damage the aftermarket amp. 
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #197
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Replacing the only the 4" won't do much. You need to replace the oem amp or change the cross over point to improve the sound. It's a lot more complicated then just adding an amp and replace 1 set of speakers.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #198
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The new amp setup, testing everything before finishing up the install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0