BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
footprints
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

2015 X5 M-sport Tahoe setup - all seasons?

Hi folks,

I recently got a new to me 2015 X5 M Sport with 20” staggered Oem wheels. I live in the Bay Area and go to Tahoe often in the winter. The car is currently equipped with high performance summer only tires. I need a setup to get me to the snow.

I’m thinking that I’ll buy all season tires and mount them on my existing 20” staggered wheels and leave them on year round.

Do you guys think it’ll be sufficient for traction getting up to and around Tahoe? Should I consider some winter wheels in smaller size and/or unstaggered to use during the winter?

Curious what other Bay Area folk are doing. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Ideally you want winter tires.

Otherwise get a spare tire, change tires to Conti DWS06, get spacers, and get Thule/Konig XG12 Pro size 265 snow chains.

(Spacers make your car look better, but most importantly give you more room on the inside of the tire for the chains.)
      12-02-2018, 01:16 AM   #3
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Extra set of smaller wheel with snow tires if you go to Tahoe often.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Ideally you want winter tires.

Otherwise get a spare tire, change tires to Conti DWS06, get spacers, and get Thule/Konig XG12 Pro size 265 snow chains.

(Spacers make your car look better, but most importantly give you more room on the inside of the tire for the chains.)
This^^^^^

I just don’t use the spacers.
      12-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

If you that worried that you need chains why the fuck would you run all seasons.... that makes no sense... run studded winters. Who the hell wants to pull over and put on chains...

I would run a set of 18 or 19 inch winters for your ski trips. All seasons are no seasons.
      12-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I'm not in the Bay area, but the other day we had freezing rain here in MI.
My old 330xi with winter tires had way better grip than my X5 with the all-season tires from BMW, I drove both to compare that day... (when the all seasons are wore out on the X5, they will be replaced with dedicated winter tires)

Unless you don't have any storage where you live, I suggest buying a set of 19" wheels with winter tires, buy yourself a floor jack and a corded or preferably battery operated high torque impact wrench. (I have an 18V Makita, pure awesomeness..)
You will spend 20min changing tires, and be way safer/ better off, in the mountains.

Initial cost might be high, but when you see people with non winter tires having issues where you don't, you know they are worth every penny. Especially when it comes to braking...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
sloanbj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Xdrive50i MSport

It makes no sense to drive around the Bay Area on winter tires for four months just for a couple weekend trips to Tahoe. I know people who live at Tahoe and get by on all seasons. In fact, I know quite a few Alaskans who use all-season tires. Just drive smart and you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #8
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9001 View Post
If you that worried that you need chains why the fuck would you run all seasons.... that makes no sense... run studded winters. Who the hell wants to pull over and put on chains...

I would run a set of 18 or 19 inch winters for your ski trips. All seasons are no seasons.
Because you’re required to carry snow chains as it’s required by California highway patrol driving in the mountains in the winter. And yes they have checkpoints to check. You’re basically never going to be asked to put them on. But if I was going to suggest something I would get the right chains now rather than some junk just to carry for show.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanbj View Post
It makes no sense to drive around the Bay Area on winter tires for four months just for a couple weekend trips to Tahoe. I know people who live at Tahoe and get by on all seasons. In fact, I know quite a few Alaskans who use all-season tires. Just drive smart and you will be fine.
I'd have no problem running all season if I lived in Tahoe or parts of Alaska. But I would NOT use them to drive up a mountain in snowing conditions. I ran my RFT summer tires in snow in Virginia Beach last year with no problem cuz it was relatively flat. Hence the use of chains to get up or down the mountain and normal all seasons once you're there
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Because you’re required to carry snow chains as it’s required by California highway patrol driving in the mountains in the winter. And yes they have checkpoints to check. You’re basically never going to be asked to put them on. But if I was going to suggest something I would get the right chains now rather than some junk just to carry for show.
I spent a night outside Truckee once, waiting for the stores to open so I could buy chains. They would not let anyone through, without them.
These days there are alternatives that are considered DOT approved, despite not actually being directly mentioned in the DOT regulations.

Snow socks is one of them, doesn't rust, doesn't weigh much, doesn't take a lot of space, and easy to install. I suggest having a heavy duty water tight plastic bag for them, after you use them, and then hang to dry when back home.
You can google youtube videos, they work better than one could guess.

I still recommend winter tires, if you are going to Tahoe often enough. If you only trek there once a year, I would say just get some kind of traction device (tire chains, tire cables, snow socks, etc)

All seasons are IMO just a compromise, because people want it easy.
If I had family in my vehicle, easy is the last thing I would worry about.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

As a person who lived in Tahoe for 10 years and drove over Donner Pass many times in really bad conditions (including I-80 being closed), I would definitely recommend separate set of winter tires as the best option, at least- all season with really deep and aggressive thread. Cost of wheel and tire package still will cost you waay less then slipping off highway and totaling your X5. If you decide to go with all season-carry chains, drive slow, plan accordingly, keep food, warm cloth and blankets in your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #12
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
I also have an X5 with the 20" staggered setup but mine is sDrive... so I don't even have AWD.

I will be driving from San Diego up to Tahoe right after Christmas. I'm looking for a set of 18 inch takeoff wheels and I'm going to buy a set of run flat snow tires and swap those on and use them for my trips up and down to the snow.

I May still need to carry chains but I'm hoping I won't need to use them and will only have to break them out if it gets really bad.

On prayer vehicles I have driven in mild snow with front wheel drive on all seasons and I recall the car did Fine. I'm hoping with a set of dedicated snow tires I will be OK in the X5.

I know that snow tires wear more quickly on dry pavement and I'll be driving them a few hundred miles up the freeway in the dry but given that I'm only going to put 1000 miles a year on these things they should last me a while.

Let me know what you end up buying sounds like we are kind of in a similar situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #13
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I also have an X5 with the 20" staggered setup but mine is sDrive... so I don't even have AWD.

I will be driving from San Diego up to Tahoe right after Christmas. I'm looking for a set of 18 inch takeoff wheels and I'm going to buy a set of run flat snow tires and swap those on and use them for my trips up and down to the snow.

I May still need to carry chains but I'm hoping I won't need to use them and will only have to break them out if it gets really bad.

On prayer vehicles I have driven in mild snow with front wheel drive on all seasons and I recall the car did Fine. I'm hoping with a set of dedicated snow tires I will be OK in the X5.

I know that snow tires wear more quickly on dry pavement and I'll be driving them a few hundred miles up the freeway in the dry but given that I'm only going to put 1000 miles a year on these things they should last me a while.

Let me know what you end up buying sounds like we are kind of in a similar situation.
I have a set of 18" wheel for sale pm me if you interested.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #14
Galun
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F15 X5d

18 inch rims. Michelin makes a run flat snow tire. Ice x 2 in 18/55/255.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #15
footprints
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Heyyyy folks, after much hand wringing and contemplation I made a decision.

I decided to get a dedicated 18" winter setup. I went with some cheap TK7 black rims and Michelin X-ICE run flats in 255/55R18. I'll come back and post on this thread with some comments once I've run them up into the snow a few times. Thanks for all the help and advice friends.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:59 AM   #16
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footprints View Post
Hi folks,

I recently got a new to me 2015 X5 M Sport with 20” staggered Oem wheels. I live in the Bay Area and go to Tahoe often in the winter. The car is currently equipped with high performance summer only tires. I need a setup to get me to the snow.

I’m thinking that I’ll buy all season tires and mount them on my existing 20” staggered wheels and leave them on year round.

Do you guys think it’ll be sufficient for traction getting up to and around Tahoe? Should I consider some winter wheels in smaller size and/or unstaggered to use during the winter?

Curious what other Bay Area folk are doing. Thanks!

I live in SF, drive to Tahoe almost every Sunday during ski season, E70 xDrive 35d w/AD
Until recently it had 19" square bridgestone dueler hl 400
Switched to staggered 20" 469M with Conti DWS06 a month ago

My experience driving to Tahoe has been as follows:

Watch the weather. drive next day, or better one after the snow storm.
while you may enjoy fresh powder on the day it snows - it is safer to drive when roads has been cleaned.

Tire brand and model does make a difference
Bridgestone Dueler's lasted me 6 years 67,000 miles with 4/32 remaining thread depth.
great for everyday dry highway and horrible when it comes to low temps and icy road.
Conti DWS06 does way better job on ice / snow / cold weather

xDrive ( and in some cases chains ) will get you going - will not help you stop
use lower gears to slow down - be gentle with brakes.

watch your (downhill) speed.
BMW can go fast - save it for track days and dry roads.
it is OK to drive your bimmer slow over snowy overpass.
Stay in the right lane and allow others to pass when needed
You'll get to Tahoe safe, and, maybe, 20 minutes later.

be ready for mistakes of others
non-local (minivan) driver going downhill usually has no snow driving experience -> no ability to stop.

winter tires
winter tires is right choice - when you live in Tahoe (or any other place with real winter, not like Bay Area). if you have extra $$ to spend and time, get 19" square setup. Bay Area resident with decent M+S tires would do just fine

summer tires
shall not be used for winter driving. keep them for the summer.

non tire/traction notes
full tank of fuel, winter washer fluid

finally
enjoy the winter roads with your X5
Appreciate 1