BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #67
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS+1 View Post
His trademark review of the quirks and interior features of every car is indeed unique and entertaining, however I wish that the road test portions of his videos would be longer. Usually he spends > 2/3 of the video going through interior features, and the road test becomes kind of an after thought.
I think that is because its more relevant and interesting. There are dozens of performance reviews of cars, including any car mag. Quirks and little things often are overlooked. Having seen dozens of his videos some are better then others. This one really didn't stand out IMHO.

Lot of hatorade being spilled to Doug but ask yourself this: if he was such a putz why would people hand over their million dollar cars for him to drive? He's not OG Top Gear, or an automotive celebrity. He is an engineering dork who worked for Porsche USA marketing for a while.

His latest video is a 959. Yup. Would not surprise me if he gets to drive an F1 some day.

As for the E60 M5, the resale values on it speak volumes. You can get them for 1/3 the price of an older E39....so there must be a few nuggets of truth in there eh?

Do I love to hear one driving by banging it off redline? For sure. Do I get any envy to own one...nopes. I prefer my far more reliable 335d...hey, at least you can rip off the bad parts

- b
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #68
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanlieu View Post
I think that is because its more relevant and interesting. There are dozens of performance reviews of cars, including any car mag. Quirks and little things often are overlooked. Having seen dozens of his videos some are better then others. This one really didn't stand out IMHO.

Lot of hatorade being spilled to Doug but ask yourself this: if he was such a putz why would people hand over their million dollar cars for him to drive? He's not OG Top Gear, or an automotive celebrity. He is an engineering dork who worked for Porsche USA marketing for a while.

His latest video is a 959. Yup. Would not surprise me if he gets to drive an F1 some day.

As for the E60 M5, the resale values on it speak volumes. You can get them for 1/3 the price of an older E39....so there must be a few nuggets of truth in there eh?

Do I love to hear one driving by banging it off redline? For sure. Do I get any envy to own one...nopes. I prefer my far more reliable 335d...hey, at least you can rip off the bad parts

- b
If we were to rank doug to the whole population of car reviewers I would put him top %5 lol. So much garbage content on youtube nowadays.

title suggestion

LOUD M5 shoots flame and Races state trooper

actauly video(20mins) actual content (40 seconds of an m5 pulled over) the rest some guy talking lol

Chris harris really needs to review more. And top gear needs to be back all the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #69
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
If we were to rank doug to the whole population of car reviewers I would put him top %5 lol. So much garbage content on youtube nowadays.

title suggestion

LOUD M5 shoots flame and Races state trooper

actauly video(20mins) actual content (40 seconds of an m5 pulled over) the rest some guy talking lol

Chris harris really needs to review more. And top gear needs to be back all the way.
I agree with everything you said.

About Chris Harris -one of the greats, but I'm finding his videos all too similar, I guess he lets the cars do the talking and if that's the case then his team does a remarkable job.

It seems very few people have the ability to speak well on video as you point out. Jay Leno is very good at telling stories, check out his Galaxy 500 JLG video, no doubt he's perfected the story by repeating it, but none the less very well spoken. I'm almost surprised I'm saying this but Tim Burton (Shmee) has a very good speaking style. In some ways similar to Doug Demuro. Maybe Shmee is a bit to blogger self indulged, but I've gotten a very good sense of some machines from his videos.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #70
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Why does it have to be one or the other...why can't it be both? I watch savagegeese for in-depth reviews, DeMuro for the fun stuff. DeMuro's videos aren't for those who are looking for pure vehicle reviews, and I think he would even agree with that.
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #71
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMan View Post
Just watched this. I like Doug, but he missed a lot of key points on this car. For those that didn't know, the SMG car is what the engine was originally built around. It is a great transmission for what it is. The failures of SMG components were mainly due to heat exposure. I had ZERO issues with my SMG. Shifting at redline with the tranny in S6 mode was one of the most emotionally satisfying things about this car and it THROWS you in the seat with each click of the paddle. The manual transmission in these cars was essentially an E39 transmission. It had slower acceleration and a dramatically reduced top speed.

My E60 M5 was extremely reliable. I did the rod bearing change myself at45K miles. The only issues I ever had were the steering angle sensor and the ionic control module for cylinder bank 2 ($97 on eBay). Of course if you look online, there are people that are going to voice their issues, just as we have issues with our M3's. They are not that bad of a car.

One of my fondest memories was killing my buddy's Gallardo in a drag race. I was once doing 145 with four people in the car and came up over a mountain highway only to see 6 bikers doing 125. We flew past them and the head turns and looks we got through their helmets was hilarious.

Probably the coolest most ridiculously designed cars ever and I can't wait to own another.
Pretty sure Doug, being Doug knew about the SMG, he just skipped over it. Think about it, he talks about a cars “quirks and features”.
Also, if I remember correctly, the 6 speed is the one in the 545i. Which is why it didn’t match up well to the S85, because the S85 and SMG were developed to go together, and the 6 speed manual was cobbled together for the US market. And since this doesn’t have the SMG gearbox, there is no real need to mention in detail the SMG.
I keep on rereading the bold part. And laughing at what Doug DeMuro had said about e60 owners talking about how they had to fix this and that and spend $ and now that there M5 is dialed in. And the fact many of these issues shouldn’t have been occurring so soon or at all. Had this V10 along with the SMG came from GM and put in say, the CTS-V or C6 Corvette Z06, people on this site would have been trashing GM products for being unreliable.

However, I do wish BMW had fixed the problems with the engine and created a twin turbo version.

Last edited by IS3andME; 12-09-2018 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #72
DGod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 E60, BMW 1M E82

We all should come back to this post in 5 years time. Maybe then this amazing car will be given the credit it deserves.
People are usually put off by what they read and they skip such amazing driving experiences and cars that are truly epic. I write from personal experience. I am the crazy guy that went from an F10 M5 (bought new with 4 year warranty) after 2 and 1/2 years of issue-free ownership to a 6 year old E60 M5 with 70.000 km on the clock. All I can say is I never looked back and I wish I had got one in the first place.
The E60 M5 is one of the most special cars I've ever driven, and mine is an SMG. I read everything there was to read, I watched every video, I read every post about the endless issues that these cars have. It is a supercar, what did people expect?
Truth is my car is now on 103.000 km, I have driven it countless times over 335 km/h (once to 339 km/h and I lifted) and so far the issues with my car were: one spark plug cable failed, the driver's seat lower leg extension and one light panel on a tail light. I did change the clutch which was original but that's routine.
The point is if you treat them right and if you understand the mechanics and engineering these cars are nothing but epic. The F10 was a great car, but the E60 is one of a kind. There will never be anything like it. Even the SMG that gets so much criticism contributes to the driving experience... revving it to 8.000 RPM and then hitting the next gear and feeling that kick... the howl of that engine... it does feel like a supercar all the time. I plan on keeping my E60 for life, I even consider adding another one to the fleet.
I should add that I'm one of those die-hard purists fighting the end of manual gearboxes, but the E60 M5 has to be SMG.
Considering my other cars are a 911 C4S 996, an Impreza WRX STI, a 430 Scuderia, a 458 Speciale and a 1M (and a few more which are irrelevant), all of them mint, perfect spec cars, last year of production and low miles. I want to keep all of them, but if I ever get to a point where I have to let go, the last ones to go would be the Ferraris and the M5. That's how good it is.
I nicknamed it Harambe! What else? You can check some pictures of it on my Instagram, although I don't post much... @djesusgod
Get one!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 06:03 AM   #73
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
part of a mass trend to basically review a car by reading its purchasing guide. driving it around town. and giving it an arbitrary score...he does come from atuotrader and I actually enjoy some of his videos
Which is does quite succesfully.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #74
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

Only a BMW forum would have somebody saying this car is 'reliable.'
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #75
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanlieu View Post

- b
LOL, really?? my 335d spent its entire 3years of my ownership with a CEL on. I was more worried when it turned off... dont get me wrong, i loved the 335d, but what a POS in terms of reliability.
      12-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #76
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
absoluetly sick the idiots on the internet spewing str8 nonsense. What gets me is how confident they are blowing smoke. This guy didn't need new tires? moreover spent 17mins vaguely describing bullshit lol. sick of fake news.

This guy seems like a nice fella but his videos about his e60 m5 are owner biased. The impression I get from him is that because he owns an e60 m5, it's the best BMW ever produced, and the s85 engine is the best BMW engine ever. The lack of reliability and his maintainence issues dont matter to him. I'm waiting for the video where he just comes out and says the e60 m5 is the best AND most reliable BMW ever produced.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:40 AM   #77
dave_112
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m3 e92

What a tool.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #78
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
LOL, really?? my 335d spent its entire 3years of my ownership with a CEL on. I was more worried when it turned off... dont get me wrong, i loved the 335d, but what a POS in terms of reliability.
I think you caught the sarcasm and point that I fully understand what its like to own and operative (and love, and hate) a quirky, unreliable, unique BMW model. The V10 is in the same category as the M57 with many owners in an abusive relationship with said automobile.

Making the D more reliable is a bit easier and less expensive then the ///, but similar work on the owners part none the less. No SMG just a rather stout ZF 6sp, yada yada.

- b
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #79
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Interesting video regarding an owner and his 100k plus mile rod bearings on his s85:

Appreciate 0