BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i M Sport Frozen

Service agreement parts... will they subsitute ?

I was wondering if anyone has tried what I am about to attempt with my dealer with my service contract.

I only have 8 months left on my CPO warranty and service contract. I will need new plugs, filters and brakes before it ends.

I was going to ask them to install the M air filters and I would pay any difference in cost.

I want the M plugs (gapped accordingly for a tune) installed and from what I have read on here they are cheaper anyhow.

Since I will be out of warranty I will do a BM3 tune. This way I will already have fresh plugs with the correct gap and better air flow as well.

What do you think... should they work with me on that.. or will it be a no way.. we can only use what is specked for your vehicle ?
2013 Harley Softail, Road King, Road Glide show bikes
2010 40' Express Cruisers Yacht
Appreciate 1
BimmerTy191.50
      12-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin Nauti View Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried what I am about to attempt with my dealer with my service contract.

I only have 8 months left on my CPO warranty and service contract. I will need new plugs, filters and brakes before it ends.

I was going to ask them to install the M air filters and I would pay any difference in cost.

I want the M plugs (gapped accordingly for a tune) installed and from what I have read on here they are cheaper anyhow.

Since I will be out of warranty I will do a BM3 tune. This way I will already have fresh plugs with the correct gap and better air flow as well.

What do you think... should they work with me on that.. or will it be a no way.. we can only use what is specked for your vehicle ?
CPO does not cover maintainence items.

If you have a service maintainence contract also, they will install a pair for you for the full amount but not for the difference. So better to just get everything done and decide later.

Again if you know your SA well, maybe they can flex the terms.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      12-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i M Sport Frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiljain22 View Post
CPO does not cover maintainence items.

If you have a service maintainence contract also, they will install a pair for you for the full amount but not for the difference. So better to just get everything done and decide later.

Again if you know your SA well, maybe they can flex the terms.

I also said SERVICE contract. The service contract is what I am referring to and the title of my post...

They will be replacing these items on my next service anyhow... I just wondering how much grief I will get to try to do this...
2012 650I Conv Sapphire Black
2013 Harley Softail, Road King, Road Glide show bikes
2010 40' Express Cruisers Yacht
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin Nauti View Post
I also said SERVICE contract. The service contract is what I am referring to and the title of my post...

They will be replacing these items on my next service anyhow... I just wondering how much grief I will get to try to do this...

This is what I have been able to do for some parts: Ask the service advisor if you can chat with the tech working on the car, ask him if I buy a M part from the parts dept, can he install it instead? Usually it works for simple stuff. The M air filters take less than 5 minutes to install and are $100. You might be able to convince them on this.

I would be interested in knowing if you can convince them to install the M plugs. I have my doubts on this. Basically any parts and service work done is warrantied by the dealer by default so I have had a very hard time to convince them to do some of the upgrade installs that don't come as a factory option. Also their computers won't give them the correct install instructions for the plugs either when they connect your car to it. Basically ISTA-D will spit out you need plugs, these part numbers, this is the workflow and will do a check for the install later. Most techs wont want to spend 30 minutes to do it manually and then figure out the check at the end fails is what I have been told. One tech also said he wont take a chance BMW NA looks at the papers in an audit and refuses covering the charges (I doubt this actually happens).

If you were asking them to upgrade the brakes for example, it would have been an easier task to adjust the parts and service charges since it comes as an oem upgrade option.

Enjoy BM3. It makes the car a different animal.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      12-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Yeah, pretty much as sahiljain22 said. Try with filters, but I'm 100% sure they won't do plugs.
Appreciate 0