BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2016, 10:33 PM   #23
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
So the H&R 5/15mm spacers got delivered today.

They come with extended lug bolts. I wasn't paying attention and thought that they came with extended lug nuts. That's how my spacers came for my C7 Z06.

Anyway no big deal, but I've never had to swap lug bolts before. Is this a pita that I'm better off handing off to someone who knows what they're doing or can a casual like myself tackle the job?
Easy - installed 15mm rears on my winter set this afternoon. Added maybe 2-min to my annual swap.

FWIW, if you don't have one already, highly recommend picking up a wheel hanger (it's like a 6" long bolt that has no head). It makes it much easier to line up the spacer/get the wheels on (particularly with how heavy these sets are). I use the ECS version below.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../003335sch01a/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #24
soulsea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Thanks Roundown ...

I actually didn't realize that BMW wheels fasten with actual bolts, I thought they had lug nuts like most other cars. So when I was looking at the extended bolts I thought I had to take the existing ones out my wheel hub and replace them with the extended ones so that the lug nuts would thread over them. Not sure if that made sense but I understand how simple it is now, and I also understand the need for the threading bolt.

--------------------------

In other news, I just ordered this guy:

12-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #25
soulsea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Now I'm on the hunt for a set of gloss black 22s with a more aggressive offset.

All I can find is either cheap eBay specials or super expensive sets like ADV1s/HRE/etc ... I just don't keep cars long enough to justify spending $8/9k on a set of wheels that are impossible to sell at the end, been through that nonsense too many times. So if anyone knows of a midrange good quality wheel ($4/5k all in with tires/tpms) let me know. Maybe I'll give Vossen a call.
      12-31-2016, 06:39 PM   #26
aparedes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Now I'm on the hunt for a set of gloss black 22s with a more aggressive offset.

All I can find is either cheap eBay specials or super expensive sets like ADV1s/HRE/etc ... I just don't keep cars long enough to justify spending $8/9k on a set of wheels that are impossible to sell at the end, been through that nonsense too many times. So if anyone knows of a midrange good quality wheel ($4/5k all in with tires/tpms) let me know. Maybe I'll give Vossen a call.
Vossen has incredible wheels. If you order one of their forged wheels you will not need to have spacers as the wheels will be made custom for your truck and you can decide the offset you like. I order a set with them should have it by the first week of January.

A
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #27
soulsea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok so finally got around to getting all my bits installed. As I mentioned earlier this included black hood/liftgate roundels, black rear nameplate, black fender vents, black kidney grilles, colormatched side and rear reflectors, 5mm/15mm spacers, and Dinan exhaust with black tips. Here's a few quick pics of the end result:

Originally I had the M performance kidney grilles ordered because I wanted the X6M nameplate on it but those things are backordered so for now I'm just using the plain ones from IND but I will prolly get the correct ones at some point.

I'm still tossing the idea of either getting a set of gloss black rims or having my oem ones painted, but there are still little chrome elements in the car including inside the headlights so maybe keeping it as is the best way to go ... we'll see. If I do leave the wheels as they are I need to push them out another 5mm front and rear.
      01-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #28
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Looks terrific so far. I'm using you as my guinea pig FWIW. I picked up a Donington/Red X6M this week myself. I did the blacked out bits on my last M3. Not sure yet if I want to do the same on the X. Color matched front reflectors are on the way, although I went with a matte black rear reflector replacement. Did the same on my M3 as well, I just prefer the look.

I wouldn't do any blacking out of the wheels, FYI - they will visually shrink when you do that, you'll then want larger rims and a drop... just warning you

Last edited by TonySCV; 01-14-2017 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0