BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
chrisfc923
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 MBB X5MC

Any benefits on removing the resonators?

Any benefits or pitfalls on removing the two resonators on the stock exhaust? I know in my CLS63 it made a huge difference but on my old f15 50i it barely did anything. Just curious to see if its even worth removing
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Consider the same but the resonators are small and probably don't do much. I have w212 e63 which I removed the resonators and it much a huge difference. They are much larger and probably muffle much more

The reason I am considering removing is to add a x-pipe. I have Downpipes with high flow cats and an manhart axle back. Getting some rattling noise like sounds that the x pipe will clean up. Sounds kind like a stock oem m4 exhaust but louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330 View Post
Any benefits or pitfalls on removing the two resonators on the stock exhaust? I know in my CLS63 it made a huge difference but on my old f15 50i it barely did anything. Just curious to see if its even worth removing
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Consider the same but the resonators are small and probably don't do much. I have w212 e63 which I removed the resonators and it much a huge difference. They are much larger and probably muffle much more

The reason I am considering removing is to add a x-pipe. I have Downpipes with high flow cats and an manhart axle back. Getting some rattling noise like sounds that the x pipe will clean up. Sounds kind like a stock oem m4 exhaust but louder
Which down pipes did you go that have the high flow cats? And do you have any exhaust smell in the interior of the X after installing the DP?
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
chrisfc923
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 MBB X5MC

I think going catless you will always have that gas smell.

Eloo- Yeah I saw that the resonators were small which is why there prob won't be much of a difference. Let me know how your project turns out. Hows the Manhart sound btw?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Are these resonators or secondary cats?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
jjt4806
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535xi

only difference is most likely going to be to your ears, and possibly a very very small reduction is torque
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Pretty crazy story. I found a guy on instagram from Russia that makes Downpipe's and custom exhaust pieces. The f85 is a popular chassis over there and he made a set and posted pics. Researched him as much as I could and the quality in the pics was some of the best I have seen. 200 cell gesi high flow cats. High quality

Didn't know what I was thinking but im him on IG, couple back and forth and he sent me a PayPal request. Sent the funds and in a week I had my pipes

Quality and fitment was perfect. BUT my buddy with a m5 ended pulling the trigger on his pipes from the same guy and they were terribly off in fitment. Cost him 600 twice for install and shipping back to Russia. Guy fixed them but did not compensate for the issues

He is now selling on eBay, his name is Mikes Customs

A little smell but nothing compared to going catless. Had catless on my e63 and added cats within a week. The smell of catless makes you dizzy and lingers in the air. Got small kids and didn't want to do that them

Felt the difference in power and reduce turbo lag. Biggest benefit was the increased sound. My manhart is valved and most valved axle backs on the market sound similar and not that much difffernt than stock. It was the perfect fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Which down pipes did you go that have the high flow cats? And do you have any exhaust smell in the interior of the X after installing the DP?
Appreciate 0