BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

01-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SRT Viper / M3 / X6M / Raptor

Paint Protection Options (Film and/or Ceramic Coatings)

I've had my 2017 X6M for a couple of days now and while getting the windows tinted they recommended that I install a Paint Protection Film. I've never used film, but have opted for Ceramic Coatings (i.e Opti-Coat, Modesta, Ceramic Pro, etc.).

I've used Modesta on both the Exterior Paint for my M3 and Q50S Hybrid and Opti-Coat for the Glass, Headlamps / Tail lamps, and Interior Leather, but looking to try something different as the market is starting to become more competitive in their offerings.

Nevertheless, has anyone installed a Film, if so, which brand do you recommend? Did you choose to cover the front end (bumper, hood, side mirrors, etc.) or go with covering the entire vehicle?

Has anyone tried combining both the Film and Coating? I had 1 installer recommend using a combination of both.

In using the film, have you found that it still keeps that brand new paint gloss shine when you took delivery, or has it faded over time? Do you wax over it and does this improve the gloss? Is the film that noticeable?

Thank You
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejholt View Post
I've had my 2017 X6M for a couple of days now and while getting the windows tinted they recommended that I install a Paint Protection Film. I've never used film, but have opted for Ceramic Coatings (i.e Opti-Coat, Modesta, Ceramic Pro, etc.).

I've used Modesta on both the Exterior Paint for my M3 and Q50S Hybrid and Opti-Coat for the Glass, Headlamps / Tail lamps, and Interior Leather, but looking to try something different as the market is starting to become more competitive in their offerings.

Nevertheless, has anyone installed a Film, if so, which brand do you recommend? Did you choose to cover the front end (bumper, hood, side mirrors, etc.) or go with covering the entire vehicle?

Has anyone tried combining both the Film and Coating? I had 1 installer recommend using a combination of both.

In using the film, have you found that it still keeps that brand new paint gloss shine when you took delivery, or has it faded over time? Do you wax over it and does this improve the gloss? Is the film that noticeable?

Thank You
Yes, clear film is the best protection you can get for your paint. I would go with SunTek because their film is really clear, there are different 3M films you go with the highest quality which is also excellent .

Mainly, people go with front bumper,hood, fenders and mirror caps.. the parts where rock ships actually hit. However for 100k car I would do the whole car but it can be very expensive above 3k.

Go with a high quality film and keep the car out of the sun, the film is not noticeable. You can wax over it every 6 months or so to keep it looking fresh. The main thing to keep in mind is that to find a really professional place to install is for you as it can be very tricky with the curves on the bumpers in our cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
Yes, clear film is the best protection you can get for your paint. I would go with SunTek because their film is really clear, there are different 3M films you go with the highest quality which is also excellent .

Mainly, people go with front bumper,hood, fenders and mirror caps.. the parts where rock ships actually hit. However for 100k car I would do the whole car but it can be very expensive above 3k.

Go with a high quality film and keep the car out of the sun, the film is not noticeable. You can wax over it every 6 months or so to keep it looking fresh. The main thing to keep in mind is that to find a really professional place to install is for you as it can be very tricky with the curves on the bumpers in our cars.
Thank You
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

Quote:

Thank You

On my first x5m I had the entire front end and hood covered in ppf and then entire car coated with nanolex si3d coating

On my 2nd x5m I only had bumper and rockers and wheel wells done and the entire car polished and then coated with nanolex si3hd. Results were amazing. Great Installer is a must. If your in ny nj area I have the guy for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince7870 View Post
On my first x5m I had the entire front end and hood covered in ppf and then entire car coated with nanolex si3d coating

On my 2nd x5m I only had bumper and rockers and wheel wells done and the entire car polished and then coated with nanolex si3hd. Results were amazing. Great Installer is a must. If your in ny nj area I have the guy for you.
Wasn't aware you could do your wheel wells. How did those work out?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

Quote:
Wasn't aware you could do your wheel wells. How did those work out?
wheel wells=fender flares and inner lips. if you don't do that and rocker panels the paint will get damaged from wheel kick up.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
I have the whole hood, whole fenders, whole bumper, fender flairs, rockers, lower part of all 4 doors and lower of rear bumper. Pretty much where the rocks will hit the paint. I was going to do the whole X5M, but decided that it wasn't necessary. You should go with a clear bra and like everyone said, choose a good installer.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
I have the whole hood, whole fenders, whole bumper, fender flairs, rockers, lower part of all 4 doors and lower of rear bumper. Pretty much where the rocks will hit the paint. I was going to do the whole X5M, but decided that it wasn't necessary. You should go with a clear bra and like everyone said, choose a good installer.
Thank You for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
alvinabed
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 13 AWSO M5,16 DGMR X5M

Garage List
I have the full 3M venture shield on my car. I think a wrap is a must!
upgrades: RKP front spoiler, M performance carbon spoiler, 3D design rear carbon diffuser, KW HAS Sleeve Kit, Akrapovic Evolution Carbon tips, ind black LCI front and rear grills, GruppeM RAM intake, 20" HRE P104 satin charcoal with PSS tires)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 12:11 AM   #10
MadMarkus
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M (F85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinabed View Post
I have the full 3M venture shield on my car. I think a wrap is a must!
Can't agree more!
The new film from 3M is great. Scratches can be removed with hot water or a hairdryer.
Picked up my X5M (Donington Grey) 2 weeks ago in BMW-World and had it wrapped same day in Munich.
They used 3M for both bumpers, fender, hood, side skirts, entrances, A-pillars, mirrors and the part of roof between windscreen and panorama-sunroof.
Same time frame of Kidneys, Air-Vents and part of the front have been wrapped in black.

I love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #11
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarkus View Post
Can't agree more!
The new film from 3M is great. Scratches can be removed with hot water or a hairdryer.
Picked up my X5M (Donington Grey) 2 weeks ago in BMW-World and had it wrapped same day in Munich.
They used 3M for both bumpers, fender, hood, side skirts, entrances, A-pillars, mirrors and the part of roof between windscreen and panorama-sunroof.
Same time frame of Kidneys, Air-Vents and part of the front have been wrapped in black.

I love it.
Do you mind telling me the cost of this?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
MadMarkus
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M (F85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Do you mind telling me the cost of this?
The regular cost is about € 1.600,- (while 1 € = +/- 1 $).
Appreciate 0