BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #1
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

bmw coding

does anyone know if I should worry about this code or not?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 07:00 PM   #2
romans909
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15

anyone answer this question , had this myself before.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

How are you pulling up this code? Are you finding it using BimmerLink or some other diagnostic software/app?

To me, it reads like it may have come from a parking mishap by a driver where the normal procedure wasn’t followed. I’d clear it and see if it returns unless there are some other issues that keep occurring when trying to engage PARK.

Do either of you remember having a misstep when turning off the car and engaging Park? Only asking because the error mentions a “counter” which means the system is doing some type of tracking of engaging PARK prior to shut down or leaving the vehicle. Again, if there has been a misstep in the area of engaging park and leaving the vehicle...where you could have been in gear, then opened the door to leave prior to putting the transmission in PARK...it could have created this error.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 07:24 PM   #4
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
How are you pulling up this code? Are you finding it using BimmerLink or some other diagnostic software/app?

To me, it reads like it may have come from a parking mishap by a driver where the normal procedure wasn't followed. I'd clear it and see if it returns unless there are some other issues that keep occurring when trying to engage PARK.

Do either of you remember having a misstep when turning off the car and engaging Park? Only asking because the error mentions a "counter" which means the system is doing some type of tracking of engaging PARK prior to shut down or leaving the vehicle. Again, if there has been a misstep in the area of engaging park and leaving the vehicle...where you could have been in gear, then opened the door to leave prior to putting the transmission in PARK...it could have created this error.
yes through bummer code, is bimmer code good for diagnostics for your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 09:27 PM   #5
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5nyc View Post

BimmerLink is what you want for diagnostics.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:53 PM   #6
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
Quote:

BimmerLink is what you want for diagnostics.
i have that too, can i use that or do i have to buy those ob2 scanners like the mechanics?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 10:27 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i have that too, can i use that or do i have to buy those ob2 scanners like the mechanics?
Are you saying you purchased the BimmerLink app and have never opened/used it and connected to your car to pull errors? If not, just curious why you purchased the app if not to use it for diagnostic?

As mentioned already, the Bimmercode app is for coding (changing operational perameters) of your cars features & options.

The Bimmerlink app is for checking and pulling error codes...as well as some reset procedures like when working on your brakes or registering your car's battery.

You can always go back to either app's website if you need more information as to what they are capable of doing.

OBD II scanner/readers (the generic type) are for pulling codes that are registered by your car's emissions system which complies with the federal OBD II mandate of 1996. These codes are indicated by the CEL/SES/MIL (check engine light/service engine soon/malfunction indicator light) warning light illuminating. There are also diagnostic scanner/readers that will pull/read OBD II codes as well as MFG error codes, too (like the Bimmerlink app).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-04-2022 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 10:43 AM   #8
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you saying you purchased the BimmerLink app and have never opened/used it and connected to your car to pull errors? If not, just curious why you purchased the app if not to use it for diagnostic?

As mentioned already, the Bimmercode app is for coding (changing operational perameters) of your cars features & options.

The Bimmerlink app is for checking and pulling error codes...as well as some reset procedures like when working on your brakes or registering your car's battery.

You can always go back to either app's website if you need more information as to what they are capable of doing.

OBD II scanner/readers (the generic type) are for pulling codes that are registered by your car's emissions system which complies with the federal OBD II mandate of 1996. These codes are indicated by the CEL/SES/MIL (check engine light/service engine soon/malfunction indicator light) warning light illuminating. There are also diagnostic scanner/readers that will pull/read OBD II codes as well as MFG error codes, too (like the Bimmerlink app).
i have it so i could open the exhaust value, i only used the diagnostic once and it came up as a transmission oil leak, 1400$ covered by warranty, but my question is, is bimmerlink good as ob2 scanners?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 02:04 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i have it so i could open the exhaust value, i only used the diagnostic once and it came up as a transmission oil leak, 1400$ covered by warranty, but my question is, is bimmerlink good as ob2 scanners?
It depends on what type of scanner you have.

A simple OBD II scanner/reader will only read OBD II diagnostic trouble codes. Some upgraded OBD/DTC (diagnostic trouble code) scanner/reader will read more than OBD II codes and also read MFG codes.

From the Bimmerlink website...they tell us that this app reads "OBD II and more". The more is the manufacturer codes, too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 01:40 AM   #10
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It depends on what type of scanner you have.

A simple OBD II scanner/reader will only read OBD II diagnostic trouble codes. Some upgraded OBD/DTC (diagnostic trouble code) scanner/reader will read more than OBD II codes and also read MFG codes.

From the Bimmerlink website...they tell us that this app reads "OBD II and more". The more is the manufacturer codes, too.
ok thanks
Appreciate 0