BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #23
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

I went with Continentals because Michelin's did feel better but I hit many potholes and had to replace them all. Continentals hold up better and DWS better in snow. If you don't get snow, go for AS3
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #24
deiselpwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35D M Sport

We get a bit of snow. More wet and cold. With black ice.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #25
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
I'm one of the "idiots" who refuses to understand that modern all seasons are still the same junk they were 10yrs ago...
More idiots like me...

These days, for 3 seasons of the year I run high performance Michelin A/S on the X5.
Winter time I switch to dedicated Michelin snow tires.

Works great for me, and I don't have to worry about when the right time is to switch from summer to winter tires.
No worries if I wake up one morning and it is below 40°, which is where summer tires starts getting hard and loose grip, and can be outright dangerous.

So this is my recommendation for the X5. (Now if this was a Z4 or M car, I would recommend "summer only" tires for summer time spirited driving...)
+1 on this system for me, in Colorado. A/S work well most of the year, especially on the 20" wheels (I have Pirelli RFs, but will move to DWS in spring 2020). I run 19" snow tires (Blizzaks) in the winter; the 19" Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S tires do not grip well in more than 2-4" of snow, or when the temperature is low.
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      11-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #26
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiselpwr View Post
We get a bit of snow. More wet and cold. With black ice.
Get Michelin's if you don't get much snow
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:21 PM   #27
Radekxpl
The General
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D & E46 M3

For the past year I have been using these Nokian WRG3 SUV performance tiers: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...IAAOSwljJdKPIy
These tires are ALL-WEATHER tires not All-season (there is a big difference), I have been using these for the past year and I cant say enough good thing about them, they perform excellent in all types of conditions, snow, deep water, dry. I live in New England and see all types of weather conditions year round these conquer everything I have thrown at them. I high recommend for anyone who see decent amount of 4 season conditions. After all they are Finland made and tested, and they see all types of extreme weather conditions year round.
Appreciate 1
djrabbi728.00
      11-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #28
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radekxpl View Post
For the past year I have been using these Nokian WRG3 SUV performance tiers: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...IAAOSwljJdKPIy
These tires are ALL-WEATHER tires not All-season (there is a big difference), I have been using these for the past year and I cant say enough good thing about them, they perform excellent in all types of conditions, snow, deep water, dry. I live in New England and see all types of weather conditions year round these conquer everything I have thrown at them. I high recommend for anyone who see decent amount of 4 season conditions. After all they are Finland made and tested, and they see all types of extreme weather conditions year round.
I got to visit Nokian's testing facility in Ivalo, Finland, above the Arctic Circle. Didn't get to go for a spin, unfortunately. Just the sort of conditions you'd want to test tires in. I run their Hakkapeliittas in the winter, and they're head-and-shoulders above all the other winter tires I've tried over 40 years of Minnesota winters.
      11-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #29
Rydogg21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I got to visit Nokian's testing facility in Ivalo, Finland, above the Arctic Circle. Didn't get to go for a spin, unfortunately. Just the sort of conditions you'd want to test tires in. I run their Hakkapeliittas in the winter, and they're head-and-shoulders above all the other winter tires I've tried over 40 years of Minnesota winters.
I run the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's in the winter here in Denver and they are rock solid in the deepest of snow, icy roads and still quiet on dry roads. The wear has proven to be better than the Blizzaks and I was able to find them on sale. Really happy with these in the winter compared to the Conti's, Pirelli's and Michelin options which I have tried over the years.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #30
Flakhani
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10, F15

I replaced my summer Dunlop Sport Maxx Runflats with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 N-Spec and am very happy with them. I have had the Continental DWS 06s previously and while they were great tires, they had a softer sidewall which had a bit more give than I prefer on curves and turns.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #31
Bolded
Rep
Drives: 2013 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydogg21 View Post
I run the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's in the winter here in Denver and they are rock solid in the deepest of snow, icy roads and still quiet on dry roads. The wear has proven to be better than the Blizzaks and I was able to find them on sale. Really happy with these in the winter compared to the Conti's, Pirelli's and Michelin options which I have tried over the years.
I run them here in Toronto Canada and by far the best winter tires I've purchased. Expensive but worth every penny!!

However I am do for new Summer Tires. What are everyone's recommendation?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:07 PM   #32
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolded View Post
I run them here in Toronto Canada and by far the best winter tires I've purchased. Expensive but worth every penny!!

However I am do for new Summer Tires. What are everyone's recommendation?
I'm running Nokian zLine A/S tires. Pretty quiet, W speed rating, and have performed great in the wet. Very reasonably priced too.

No, I'm not a Nokian rep. I probably should be. The discount would have saved me a ton of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 06:33 AM   #33
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiselpwr View Post
Ok. So Michelin AS 3 plus? Can we get them for our 20” wheels?
AS3 NO ( Porsche). Are they as good or better than the 3plus.
Was going to get the Conti but for $100 a tire more. Michelin seems the best way to go
So I was in the same boat, 20" wheels, and looking at the Contis that everyone raved about. I still ended up spending a bit more on the Michelins.

I'm sure the Contis are great tires, but the customer reviews on Tirerack, made me chose the Michelins.

Not sure about the AS 3 plus for 20" wheel sizes, but I have been driving on the NO's from TR since last spring, and I have been impressed with them.
Plenty of grip for the X5 on public roads, both going around corners and stopping. Nothing at all like the old school AS tires that were poor compromises.

We got hit by way too early snow recently, and the AS3 NO gripped better than I expected in the "snow" too. But I'm still switching to my 19" winter tires, as soon as I get back home. (sitting at the dealership ready waiting)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #34
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by murmur View Post
Indeed,, just spoke with tire rack, looks like the only option in the OEM size is Conti DSW6,, and that is also non-runflat. The rest of the options are all dedicated summer and dedicated winter also very limited choices
Not true... The new Quatrac Pro are the best all-season tires in a 20" staggered size and they are available at Tire Rack.. I had the DWS-06 and would never purchase them again.. My post can be found here;

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1667942
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #35
Keithwand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 replaced 16 X5 6/22

Update.
Early snow here in Michigan.
With the Conti DWS I have had no problem with snow or ice or slush.
Now I didn’t drive it in the 9 inches we got but waited for the plow first.
Here’s the rub.
Mine has spent its whole life in Florida up until now and it’s rear wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 11:32 AM   #36
SMASH
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Looking for advice on replacement tires for my 2020 X5 S Drive. I’m replacing the original Pirelli 315/35 and 275/40 21”. Mom that does regular driving, I do not swap tires out for weather. We live in Oklahoma, so some cold temps, but typically no snow. Looking for the quietest most comfortable ride I can get in wheels this size. I have run flat currently, but I believe I can add a spare and switch to non RF. Not sure if this is the correct forum….new to this and the tire forums are confusing to me😂.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:39 AM   #37
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

When it comes to the 21" tires, I'm not sure you have a lot of great options. Most 21" tires that fits our X5's are summer or performance tires, that doesn't do that well when under 40 degrees.

If you were to switch to 20" wheels instead you have all kinds of options like the IMO great Michelin AS3+ etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #38
50iXman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by murmur View Post
I know this has prolly been asked all over,,

I am looking at picking up an X5 in the next couple of weeks, have found one but based on the description, it’s going to need new tires.. it’s got OEM 20 inch staggered wheels with RFT,, Hence I need to find either,

Dedicated Summer plus
Dedicated Winter or
All seasons

We live in Indiana and get some snow not a whole lot though..

I am trying to find out if I go the dedicated winter route, do I downsize to 19s,, that would mean that I have to get a complete wheel and tire set as in 20 Summers and 19 Winters...any thoughts , ideas , experiences, recommendations would be much appreciated. I have had Pirellis and Michellin on our other cars but never had an X5 before,, been reading that folks have good experiences with Contis all seasons ?? Thanks !
I live in Eastern Canada.
My 2014 X5 has staggered 20s for allseasons. I went to 18" for winter.

235 60 18s icecontsct Connie's

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...75600&page=633
Appreciate 0