BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-14-2023, 01:08 PM   #23
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Updated with timing chain and driveshaft info

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272168.00
      12-14-2023, 08:36 PM   #24
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
Love this thread. Honestly would like to get into a diesel f15 one day so bookmarked it. May have to make a similar one for N55 engine’d F15s given the countless threads asking the same questions and my experience with it.

Great job OP.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 1
///d1820.00
      12-15-2023, 08:48 AM   #25
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
Love this thread. Honestly would like to get into a diesel f15 one day so bookmarked it. May have to make a similar one for N55 engine’d F15s given the countless threads asking the same questions and my experience with it.

Great job OP.
I have owned both engines and honesty speaking. If mpg is your most concern, I would get the 35d as well. However, after driving 35i, I like the throttle response on this engine more than 35d. I always felt the lag in 35d and lack of horse power compared to 35i even though it has higher torque.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 10:07 AM   #26
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
I have owned both engines and honesty speaking. If mpg is your most concern, I would get the 35d as well. However, after driving 35i, I like the throttle response on this engine more than 35d. I always felt the lag in 35d and lack of horse power compared to 35i even though it has higher torque.
Can confirm the lag will get ya in the 35d, but it also depends on the situation. Hard launch and the 35d is a monster off the line, but roll into throttle and the lag is noticeable. But sometimes that power is right there and it surprises you. It's kind of a love-hate relationship.

The N57 hasn't seen much for crazy builds yet, but he M57 has plenty out there as far as monster builds. I would love to have a high power build in the 35d but it's just not ideal for a daily. I find the diesel a good balance of working power and economy. I can pull anything I need to pull and still get good economy out of it.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2023, 09:21 PM   #27
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Can confirm the lag will get ya in the 35d, but it also depends on the situation. Hard launch and the 35d is a monster off the line, but roll into throttle and the lag is noticeable. But sometimes that power is right there and it surprises you. It's kind of a love-hate relationship.

The N57 hasn't seen much for crazy builds yet, but he M57 has plenty out there as far as monster builds. I would love to have a high power build in the 35d but it's just not ideal for a daily. I find the diesel a good balance of working power and economy. I can pull anything I need to pull and still get good economy out of it.
I am not referring to high power output on the 35d because I could have opted for X5M instead. However, the extra HP you get on the 35i is VERY noticeable compared to 35d and honestly needed for vehicle this size. I always found 35d is under powered for a "car" it's size. I am speaking based on experience, I have owned 35d for 3 years and recently got 35i. The only thing I mess in the 35d is the higher mpg but That's it !!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 12:49 AM   #28
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
What you’re feeling is the transmission.

Rod Sutphin transmission tune makes it more responsive and predictable. With no loss of comfort or efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 10:35 AM   #29
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E85 Sport View Post

Rod Sutphin transmission tune makes it more responsive and predictable. With no loss of comfort or efficiency.
Agree. I tuned the trans and the engine on ours, definitely made a significant difference. I used xhp for trans and a euro diesel tune for engine.
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 12:16 PM   #30
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep

@Seattlesquash where can I find more info about this euro diesel tune? Feel free to PM me.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 02:31 PM   #31
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@Seattlesquash where can I find more info about this euro diesel tune? Feel free to PM me.
Sure thing, more of a friend who is pretty experienced with tuning had one from Europe and flashed it for me. Let me see what I can dig up. Been flawless and very noticeable and sport gauges updated too.

If he didn’t hook me up I likely go to the dudmd guys. Fairly close to me and hear great things about them, and think my power gains are similar… and did no other upgrades other than air filter, and need to do ful filter, and still can road trip at 33-35 mpg.
Attached Images

E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2023, 03:57 PM   #32
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Transmission tune will not solve the lag....this is the character of 35d and a tune wont change the way it drives.

I have driven other diesel cars and most of them if not all had this character
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 12:18 AM   #33
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Are you trolling? we are all on a diesel thread right? Pretty sure we all know the characteristics of a diesel engine, and personally have two gas cars as well so the differences are known to me as well and see pros/cons in either engine choice but ultimately having both is a win-win for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 07:34 AM   #34
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

For the longest time Rod did not have a tune for the 8HP in the 35d, but I see he does now. Looks like I'll be ordering that up today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
If he didn’t hook me up I likely go to the dudmd guys. Fairly close to me and hear great things about them, and think my power gains are similar… and did no other upgrades other than air filter, and need to do ful filter, and still can road trip at 33-35 mpg.
I have a DUDMD tune. Can confirm Dimitry is top notch. Last August he was working with me during a 4k mi road trip from MN to WA and back. I was having issues with rising elevation causing power loss from running too rich. I would use BimmerLink to read baro pressure and RPM and let him know how it was running, and he would send me updated tunes to dial in fuel calculations for changes in elevation. He was literally a trip saver, because we were about to turn around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
Transmission tune will not solve the lag....this is the character of 35d and a tune wont change the way it drives.

I have driven other diesel cars and most of them if not all had this character
Quote:
Are you trolling? we are all on a diesel thread right? Pretty sure we all know the characteristics of a diesel engine, and personally have two gas cars as well so the differences are known to me as well and see pros/cons in either engine choice but ultimately having both is a win-win for me.
Any automatic has lag in the transmission regardless, thats a given, but a diesel doesn't build power until it builds boost, so the typical turbo lag from a diesel paired with the lag from an auto transmission means more lag overall. You don't feel that lag as much with a gasser because it can be tuned out a lot easier. A transmission tune will help, but a diesel will always have a little more sluggish response compared to a gasser.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 03:08 PM   #35
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
D, let me know how the Rod tune works for you, Have had the XHP for a couple of years and been good but my first choice was the Rod tune but to no avail when I purchased. For the 8-speed trans, but heard great thinks for the 6 speed. Curious to see and no issue switching over if the feedback is positive.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 02:36 AM   #36
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep

I recently bought a stock F15d and after about 60 days decided to try the Sutphin tune.
I am very picky when it comes to smoothness and drivability, and this Sutphin tune is great.
It is rare for me to offer such praise.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 07:05 AM   #37
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
D, let me know how the Rod tune works for you, Have had the XHP for a couple of years and been good but my first choice was the Rod tune but to no avail when I purchased. For the 8-speed trans, but heard great thinks for the 6 speed. Curious to see and no issue switching over if the feedback is positive.
I'm ordering everything for a transmission flush first, so it might be a few weeks before I get around to getting everything done, but I'll update for sure.

Appreciate 1