BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-07-2022, 08:39 PM   #1
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

(100%) First F85 with SMO (DIY)

Hello folks,

I have succesfully done the Smart Door Opener Retrofit on my F85 and will be documenting here after gathering couple info from the existing posts.

Will be step by step another proper DIY for the community.

Approximate Cost : $150- $250

Installation Time : 2-4h

The parts for the project are :

1- SMO Module

2- Upper Sensor and Bottom Sensor

3- SMO Middle Power Plug

4- Male Connector + Female Connector for the PDC Connector (From 6pin to 12pin swap)

5- 3 x Male Pin 3x Female Pin

6- Ground Contact

7- Cable

8- Self Adhesive Zip Tie

INSTALLATION :

Diagram :

Name:  screenshot_564.png
Views: 637
Size:  143.1 KB

1- Unlock the doors and Remove the Battery!

2- Remove the rear Bumper. You will need to remove outer Tail lights to reach single bolt on each light.

3- Remove the side fender trim half way and remove 2 bolts with rivets on each side.

4- Remove 6 bolts under the bumper.

5- Pull the bumper from each side starting closer to wheels and on the passenger side you will need to remove the PDC plug so bumper can come out nice and easy.

6- If you have a Towing Kit, you can do the same thing i have done for OEM installation which you will see in the pictures , If you dont have Towing kit simply open a hole on the rubber plug to route your SMO cable in.

7- For the OEM installation, Remove the 6 male pin from the PDC plug and transfer them with the order of 1-6 on 12 Pin connector , Then Remove the 6 pin from the bumper side and transfer on to 12 female pin with the order 1-6

8- Install the Female Pin on to SMO plug using the 1,5 foot cable from the harness. And use the male pins on other side and put them in to 12 Pin Plug with the order Pin7-9

9- Pull the 3 conducts cable where is installed on Male 12 pin socket from groumet in to the trunk area.

10- Shave the cable closer to Fuse box and cut the Red and Black wire and keep the yellow uncut.

11- Remove the fuse box and install the Red cable on F150 which already has 7.5amp with an existing cable. Tap on it or solder.

12- Use the terminal connector on black and screw on ground point which is located left side of the fuse box.

13- Route the rest of the cable from trunk to Driver side Kick Panel. You will need to lift the luggage part up and route around the carpeted are by removing couple rivets , then will go thru from the rear left side seat in to the door sills.

14- Remove the rear door sill and the extended cover next to seat and put the cable under the isolation foam.

15- Remove the front door sill and kick panel where attached to hood mechanism.

16- Remove the Foot panel cover

17- Gap the carpet area including the foot rest trim, and you will see ICM module on the left. Upper Right corner of the ICM where the door cables located.

18- Look for Blue/Yellow cable (Lin Bus 1)

19 - Tap the yellow cable from the harness to Blue/ Yellow and put everything back together.

SMO INSTALLATION ON BUMPER :

1- Clean the inner bumper with alcohol or cleaner

2- Put the sensors first and eye on between inner 2 PDC sensor.

3- Put the zip ties on to upper sensor with 3M pieces first, then nicely install the sensor little bit under the PDC sensors

4- Luckily F85/6 came with bottom Sensor housing so no need 3M Tape or Zip Tie. Just attached them under the honeycone trim

5- Use 3 zip tie adhesive to attach the Module on the very left side closer to PDC 12 Pin plug.

6- Plug the sensors and power cable on the module

7- DO NOT install the Bumper yet!

CODING :

BDC :

CAH_SMART_OPENER_COD_FAHRZEUGTYP = wert_43 (5E for the F15)
VAM_SMART_OPENER = activ_hk
vam_enable_smart_close - aktiv

NBT EVO :

SMO_CONFIG - open and close
BACKDOOR_SMO_INSTALLED - aktiv

TESTING :

1- First thing after everything coded and installed is try to fold your mirrors. If mirror doesnt fold, Either Module is defective or you did something wrong on cabling.

2- I ve tried to understand and solve an issue on mine cause Ebay Seller sent me a defective Module. Ofcourse i was blaming myself the whole time and redid all the wiring again and result was same. Luckily i had my G20 with SMO and very easy to access that module without removing the bumper.

I removed it and installed on mine, VoLaaa.

I got my refund from the seller and already bought another module for the G20. I am using that module on my F85 and SW number is little bit higher than previous F series SMO modules. It might also have effect on working much more responsive than older version cause it works every time i kick unlike many other retrofits i was reading on the forums.

If everything working put everything back and you are DONE!

Video :

https://youtube.com/shorts/5qtBx5TNfwo?feature=share

Thank me on your first Grocery shopping Enjoy

Onur

Credits : @TheUltimateDrivingManiac n @bms5
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 11-11-2022 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 6
      11-08-2022, 03:41 AM   #2
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
This is awesome! Will be doing this soon to mine! Thanks for sharing!
      11-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
Deckdout2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 X5M

My life needs this in it right now......Next mod for sure.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia986.00
      11-11-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
Deckdout2
Enlisted Member
Rep

"I got my refund from the seller and already bought another module for the G20. I am using that module on my F85 and SW number is little bit higher than previous F series SMO modules. It might also have effect on working much more responsive than older version cause it works every time i kick unlike many other retrofits i was reading on the forums."

Do you have a link to the part number to the G20 SMO module, and would you elaborate on what the G20 is? Do you recommend going with this module over the previous F Series modules you mentioned above? Your link references part number 61357498464.

Sorry, alot of acronyms in the how-to I'm not familiar with. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #5
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdout2 View Post
"I got my refund from the seller and already bought another module for the G20. I am using that module on my F85 and SW number is little bit higher than previous F series SMO modules. It might also have effect on working much more responsive than older version cause it works every time i kick unlike many other retrofits i was reading on the forums."

Do you have a link to the part number to the G20 SMO module, and would you elaborate on what the G20 is? Do you recommend going with this module over the previous F Series modules you mentioned above? Your link references part number 61357498464.

Sorry, alot of acronyms in the how-to I'm not familiar with. Thanks for your help.
Sure. G20 is the new 330i, M340i vehicles. They work the same with linbus. Here is the link for the module (last one) but you also need sensors and wiring as mentioned in the DIY list.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 08:25 PM   #6
zhp pilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

I purchased the G20 SMO module you linked and have ordered the remaining parts. I wish I would have saw this earlier as I had my interior apart this past weekend doing Jehnert underseat woofers (freshly arrived from Germany) and installing a bass knob for my trunk 12. Was also installing a remote trigger wire for the amps in the rear fuse box as I wasn't happy with the signal sensing turn on. Getting back in there again is worth it though for this retro.

I also have a stealthhitch so will be following this exactly.

What has to be used for the coding? Are these available in Bimmercode or have to use the laptop?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 11:31 AM   #7
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Esys is the only coding tool i use!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #8
Deckdout2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Sure. G20 is the new 330i, M340i vehicles. They work the same with linbus. Here is the link for the module (last one) but you also need sensors and wiring as mentioned in the DIY list.
Excellent, thank you. Also, great write up! This was definitely missing on the F85.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 03:17 PM   #9
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
In AWE!
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia986.00
      11-22-2022, 09:34 PM   #10
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdout2 View Post
Excellent, thank you. Also, great write up! This was definitely missing on the F85.
There is couple things was missing on F85, but now i have everything on the beast that is offered on F95. So good to go

My next Project is Auto Tailgate

Name:  screenshot_730.png
Views: 401
Size:  59.0 KB
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:08 PM   #11
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

i have found all the parts and coding for auto liftgate project and came to conclusion that it is not impossible but not worth it.

1- The F85 lift gate has the female latch on sides while the F95 has male, completely different design needs to build for installation and you dont even know it will make perfect fit.

2- The F95 has kinematic mechanism to lift the gate up it is not powered from the gas struts. If look at closely while you are manually lifting the gate, will see that the struts going all the way in on side then bending slightly. So they did something smart but complicated to make this work not like Ford F150 lift gate which lifts up by the connecting latches.

Plus , the side latches on the F95 also soft close which means when kinematic mehanism lifts the gate up to the level of side latch, soft close sucks in to make closing.

Name:  51247461670 2.png
Views: 345
Size:  1.12 MB

Name:  screenshot_782.png
Views: 324
Size:  560.6 KB

Name:  screenshot_780.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 10.25.36 PM.png
Views: 318
Size:  470.6 KB