BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #67
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Allright guys, i have wired the F42 instead of F45 since there was fuse but not wired. So i insert the pin and i got power to my ACC cause you can hear this sensor if you get closer.

Now i have to figure out why FRR does not show on the Esys. It accepts the 5AT and i already flashed the ICM. But somehow FRR did not populated on the menu and when i run the ISTA ICM and Kafas2 missing ACC Sensor over there. I will double check the soldered wires later on. But putting the 12V cable to fuse box was another 1,5h job 🙏🏻

I also tried to flash the spare FRR sensor on my bench setup, FRR never populated under the ECU Tree while using my F85 FA. So my theory is F85 VO values thr chassis code blocking the ACC. I will try on my bench with F15 instead of F85 to see of i can get the FRR on the tree before trying on my F85.

Update : Yes, If your car is F85 On the VO it will not show the FRR in the menu. I just tested on the bench and when i type the F15 values instead of F85, FRR lists in the menu. I will later on try on the beast and try to flash the frr and see if i can access to the module.

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-07-2021 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #68
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
I noticed that you have to move the seats front and back to get to the bolts on the center console. Did you remove the NBT controller and trim with the buttons (all the pieces at the top) before disconnecting the battery? Did you unplug the ICM with the battery still connected?
Hey, The controller trim shown in the picture, comes just like that. Whenever you see AIRBAG on the module, remove the battery.

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-07-2021 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #69
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Still working on coding options. F15/16 owners alot luckier in this situation since they dont have to go thru the step i am taking. And if it was regular X5 it would have been a done project by now. Unfortunately there is couple things in the picture for the ///M version since not only this cars never introduced by this option also the chasis does not even accept the ACC option under M configuration. It will take alittle time to figure out. But luckily i have 2 radar and bench setup. Will try till find the solution.

I also talked to someone saying that not each FRR-01 sensor is same. Earlier versions has only short range but the newer version has short and long range sensor. And the F15/16 uses newer one he says.

At the moment I tried to flash the FRR with using the F15 VO. Tal wasn't ended successfully. ISTA so far has 1 error saying ACC communication error (Long Range) even tho car is back in its default code. The sensor i use at the moment belongs to 2013 750. I wonder if that doesnt have Long range in it. But before the flash attemp never seen any error.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 09:12 PM   #70
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Thats why I asked you about the part number earlier, I specifically used the latest part number for the F15 to eliminate any hardware differences from units from other models

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ostcount=11880

You can try swapping with your other ACC unit to see if both the short and long range radar work

Last edited by blue dragon; 06-08-2021 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #71
hecklestan
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i A52

Quote:
Thats why I asked you about the part number earlier, I specifically used the latest part number for the F15 to eliminate any hardware differences from units from other models

You can try swapping with your other ACC unit to see if both the short and long range radar work
Are you giving up the M1/M2 button?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 10:30 PM   #72
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

I see but ii wasnt getting any error before attempting the flash on the vehicle with F15 VO. So i am really wondering flashing attempt caused maybe some interrupption.

I can try the other radar since it came from x6 but the system right now configured as stock VO so system doesnt look for ACC sensor.

This is the ista error. And mileage is belongs to ACC sensor not my vehicle :

Name:  screenshot_2296.png
Views: 1092
Size:  79.7 KB

Update : I think i now seeing why error is showing. Before the attempt i never had LRR sensor on the module tree right next to KAFAS. Now i am seeing LRR as an unknown sensor on the ISTA. So LRR not being there i think what causing this error to pop up. So there might be coding change either on ICM or KAFAS . I will default code and see the results.

Name:  screenshot_2298.png
Views: 1194
Size:  15.4 KB

I ve tried the F16 sensor as well, still no communication with LRR. i will double check the Canbus connections where i split from Kafas to ICM. that might be the issue.
Or in theory, i have KAFAS2 and ICM updated to 2021 SW. I wonder now it is looking for FRR-2 instead of FRR-1. In anyhow i will get to the bottom of it.

Quote:

, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-09-2021 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 10:51 PM   #73
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecklestan View Post
Are you giving up the M1/M2 button?
Seems like it. Either way i get the ACC buttons or with the OEM buttons, it has to be on the steering wheel unless someone comes up with an idea of developing buttons like new F90/F95 series M vehicle which has M buttons around the button part while the ACC buttons are exist. I am not capable of creating 4 buttons in this project.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #74
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

I am checking my ICM version at the moment, and all the major ACC retrofits done with V5.4 and mine is V5.7.

Also I have solved the problem with the LRR sensor by using my saved Tal/ist/soll files that i created before attempting Radar flash and i re flashed my ICM with previous TAL calculation, it corrected my VO and FRR not showing any error anymore and LRR removed from the ISTA tree.

So i think something with the chassis number that i tried to force flash FRR caused issue. Now i have to find out how to properly add this ACC function to my F85 !

I have done about 4-5 hours flashing session for this retrofit. I have done 5DF and 5AT VO codes with F15, and F85 separately. And each time i have flashed the ICM and KAFAS2 to see what will happen and each time i flashed ICM and KAFAS they configured differently regardless of the coding. Code values also changes but the version of the SW different on both KAFAS and ICM even tho CAFD file looks the same. Because i have got different errors on each attempt. One point i have lost Front Collision with ICM even tho it is part of KAFAS!

Mostly i got S line fault and check flexray connections error. And ACC wasnt communicating with the ICM. So the issue is i never got a chance to flash the FRR. FRR is a module gets the activation via ICM. And if ICM doesnt get flashed and configured correctly there is no way for me to flash. Always comes back with some sort of Ethernet connection error. And Ends unsuccessfully.

For the bench setup there might be a way to connect the FRR directly to ZGW instead of getting connection thru ICM. That way i might be able to flash the radar and see if this will going to solve the issue.

I thought the most hardest part was the installation of the ACC retrofit which i was wrong. The most important part is programming more than hardware installation ESP for the M vehicle! But at the end thankfully having alot of TAL calculation files in the past made my life easier and regardless of the VO , i was able to just load previous calculations and inject the correct SW into the modules and corrected all the issues.

, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-09-2021 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #75
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Just a heads up.. I know you have to fiddle with modules under the center console. Be careful not to do what this guy did.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #76
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Just a heads up.. I know you have to fiddle with modules under the center console. Be careful not to do what this guy did.

Thanks for the video. He clearly doesnt know what he is doing. In order to deploy the airbag like this you really have to run the car while module is off the place. And as i reminded the other member, never ever touch a module that says AIRBAG on it while battery is connected!
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-09-2021 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:21 AM   #77
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Did you disconnect both batteries? Instructions say to disconnect both
      06-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #78
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Did you disconnect both batteries? Instructions say to disconnect both
Only the main one. Other one was connected when i did the ICM.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:34 PM   #79
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

I have tried one more thing today. Changed only the VO with 5AT deleting the 5AS. And default code ICM and KAFAS. Both unit came with fault on ISTA scan and this is the result :

Theories :

1- When you change the VO with 5AT, F85 does not populate FRR on the Esys ECU tree. So even tho ICM and KAFAS configured with ACC, F85 either does not accept the VO and making FRR like a ghost and not recognizing the ACC at all even tho it is connected or there is a real connection problem!
2- ICM has to be flashed with 5AT so it can start the SW with a proper values to recognize the FRR radar but i flashed it before and i got the ACC Long Range radar missing error so this also a communication error between ACC and ICM.
3- ACC radar needs to be flashed to be recognize on the system so connection will be possible after the flash but i cant get to that step at all with F85 and i will not mess the entire iLevel cordination of the other modules by attempting the flash with an uknown F15 values on VO. Been there, and it is not fun to recover!
4- I really have a connection connection problem between ICM-KAFAS and ACC radar, somehow cable is break somewhere and i really dont have any communication. (which i believe this is a rare case but not impossible)

Solution : Correcting the S Can cables on KAFAS solved the S Can communication error with KAFAS and ICM!
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-11-2021 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 12:20 AM   #80
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

In the mean time i have found how to identify the correct Radar for F15/16, F85/86 ACC Application regardless of the P/N

This ones what i have at the moment and both are idendical. One came from 2012 750 and the other one from 16 X6. If you look at CMIIT ID : starts with 2012 which means the newer FRR-01 and ARS-3B what makes it newer FRR.

This one came out directly from F15 X5 P/N 6863646 (Full :6631686364601)

This one from 16 X6 P/N :6864282 Bilaterally exchangeable with 6885585 Also listed at realoem and identical to what i have :

And this one came out from F07 which the CMIIT ID is 2009 and ARS-3A. So this must be the previous version.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-11-2021 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #81
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

I will get an ICM 5.4 or above to do a test run on my bench. ICM is the only module that creates a network between Radar to Diagnostic SW. Without ICM or LDM you will not have any communication with this unit.

I have removed the middle panel today and doubled checked every connection. KAFAS connected to wrong pins. I will see the results again.

Kafas plug was deceiving. i will check and report back.

Update : After Default Code the KAFAS and ICM, Radar S Line Fault codes are gone. Now i have only one error to fix, this might be regarding to ICM coding or Software :

Kafas Error Free now and ICM only have 2 error stored. This is a huge imporvement since now i have a solid connection with the ACC radar.

Problem :

Whenever i try to flash the FRR module with the calculation of F15, Because FRR gets the connection thru the ICM, ICM also gets some sort of data or something and then LRR populates on the ISTA right Next to ICM. In order to get back to normal working condition, i have to flash the ICM again and this removes the LRR from the module and makes the car error free again. So in this step, ICM should be the first module which needs to be flash then gives you access to read and flash the ACC Radar.

My theory is the SW version of the ICM with being F85 base does not allow connection with the FRR. So before i flash the ICM with F15 values on the car, i will invest some money and buy ICM to my bench and i will flash the ICM with the same calculated value of F15 VO and try to reach to my spare ACC Radar. If i can get a connection and if i am able to flash the FRR with the new version of the ICM, i will then do the same thing on the car.

F15/16 crew should do this process easy peasy since the original TAL calculation will allow to flash the ICM and FRR with correct values and will give you access to connect your FRR thru ICM without and issue.

FRR-01 Log Data with Failure :

Read SVT before TAL execution started.

TAL execution started.
VCM Update: VCM-Update is deactivated. VCM will not be updated. [C197]
MCDDiagService<id=84900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_ReadFlashTimingPara meters, service=RDBI_FTP - ReadDataByIdentifier FlashTimingParameter, description=error: timeout, link=FRR_21_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
[] use default timing parameters as an exception occured [WARN]
[] - [Exception - FRR - 21] negative response error:
code: TIMEOUT P2/T2 occurred
description: P2 timeout on Service RDBI_FTP has error in result: [Severity=2051][ErrorCode=58640][ErrorCodeDescription=resource not available][VendorCode=2142][VendorCodeDescription=P2 timeout occured]; LinkName: FRR_21_ETHERNET
severity: ERROR

ExecutionID=2021/06/11-18:02:34.419
[] prepareTALExecution started [PROGRESS]
MCDDiagService<id=48900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_CheckProgrammingCou nter, service=RDBI_PC - ReadDataByIdentifier ProgrammingCounter, description=error: timeout, link=FRR_21_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
[] prepareTALExecution finished [PROGRESS]
[] prepareVehicleForFlash started [PROGRESS]
MCDDiagService<id=20600, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareVehicleFo rFlash, service=CC, description=error: negative response : conditionsNotCorrect, link=#RtGen_MultipleEcuJob_LogicalLink> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=76600, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareVehicleFo rFlash, service=RC_SEM, description=error: negative response : conditionsNotCorrect, link=#RtGen_MultipleEcuJob_LogicalLink> [DIAGSERVICE]
[] prepareVehicleForFlash finished [PROGRESS]
MCDDiagService<id=46900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_GetSVKfromECU, service=RDBI_SVK - ReadDataByIdentifier SVK, description=error: timeout, link=FRR_21_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=46900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_GetSVKfromECU, service=RDBI_SVK - ReadDataByIdentifier SVK, description=error: timeout, link=FRR_21_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
[FRR - 21] There was an error during TAL execution, please check the log files. [WARN]
[FRR - 21] - [Exception - FRR - 21] negative response error:
code: TIMEOUT P2/T2 occurred
description: P2 timeout on Service RDBI_SVK has error in result: [Severity=2051][ErrorCode=58640][ErrorCodeDescription=resource not available][VendorCode=2142][VendorCodeDescription=P2 timeout occured]; LinkName: FRR_21_ETHERNET
severity: ERROR

This is because ICM did not open gateway for the FRR yet!
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-11-2021 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 09:22 PM   #82
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Okay i am on something. I did a F15 VO with 5AT and TAL calculate the process. Then ICM shows following calculation and plan to flash with this values :

BL Flash
Name:  F15screenshot_2386.png
Views: 1030
Size:  5.2 KB
SW Deploy
Name:  F15screenshot_2388.png
Views: 1006
Size:  6.4 KB
CD Deploy
Name:  F15screenshot_2390.png
Views: 991
Size:  6.9 KB

Then i looked at my Original VO ICM flash calculation which makes my ICM and KAFAS works error free with all original setup :

SW Deploy
Name:  screenshot_2382.png
Views: 1008
Size:  4.1 KB
CD Deploy
Name:  screenshot_2384.png
Views: 998
Size:  4.8 KB

On the F15 it also includes the same exact SWFLs and CAFD, which means the coding values will be exactly same with my existing SW version. But F15 Calculation also includes one more SWFL and also does Boot Loader Flash to accomplish this.

My guess is the additional SWFL which gives access to ACC FRR Radar connection.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-11-2021 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:24 PM   #83
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Another Update for the DIYers. I have talked to my buddy from Vietnam who has done the retrofit on his F10 which he also changed the DSC with ACC, He has mentioned that ASCM also need to be connected to ICM correctly for the 5AT process.

Here is the wiring diagram and pinout for ASCM to ICM. When you reach to the ICM plug please make sure 1-2-19-20 is also wired!

I checked mine. By looking at my plug picture, 1-19-20 100% wired so i assume 2 also wired since 3 of them in place!
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-11-2021 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 12:25 AM   #84
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Gettin there folks :

I have worked up late the conclude the project. I have great news. Car is error free with FRR ACC :

I will test drive tomorrow and see
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-12-2021 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 02:37 AM   #85
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Here is the Bonus of the day for you all (Look for in the BDC_BODY or if you have SZL) :

, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 06:06 AM   #86
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Here is the Bonus of the day for you all (Look for in the BDC_BODY or if you have SZL) :

So this is for coding the buttons on the wheel, interesting
      06-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #87
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Alright folks. Mission Accomplished:

My daughter's high school grad today i will do the TJA later. I didnt calibrate the radar and buttons are still M settings. Distance set the farthest one by default i cant adjust at the moment. But if i can decrease the distance and keep that way in default I will love it cause then i can keep M buttons as well.

750 radar calibration works flawlessly. I will also update the programming section later on.I am so happy to share with you ALL!

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-12-2021 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2021, 06:10 PM   #88
Wekma
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Thumbs up Thank you -- Awesome job

Awesome job, thank you for all work you have put into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Alright folks. Mission Accomplished:

My daughtets high school grad today i will do the TJA later. I didnt calibrate the radar and buttons are still M settings. Distance set the farthest one by default i cant adjust at the moment. But if i can decrease the distance and keep that way in default I will love it cause then i can keep M buttons as well.

750 radar calibration works flawlessly. I will also update the programming section later on.I am so happy to share with you ALL!
Appreciate 0