BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
andrewx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Just a bit curiousity

Any one could tell me a little bit about car buying experience differences between Canada and the US?

I will be landing in Canada in Sep this year, from what I've found so far, both in Ontario and Manitoba dont have many X6Ms in stock(understandable), but I am the type of person that like to test it and buy it, the thing is that what if I could not find the X6m that I like when I get there, then I would have to wait probably couple months.
However, if I order it now and probably transfer some deposits to a certain dealer and order it, how much discount will I be getting from ordering, probably not nearly as much as the ones in store, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
zero4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Most dealers will have at least one of X5M or X6M to test drive at least in the greater Toronto area. If you can't find the combination you like, you will have to order it. Unless you choose an individual color option, you should get it in less than 2 months. I chose an individual color so still waiting for delivery and it is almost 3 months. The car went into production recently. My friend ordered at the same time and he got his in less than 2 months. In Canada, the individual interior color option (which is full leather) is cheaper than the regular full leather option available.

In terms of discount, I am sure you will get a better deal with one that the dealer has in stock but one thing is for sure, you will not get the discounts that a lot of the US guys are getting.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
andrewx
Private
Rep

Thanks a lot man!
So the best thing for now is to wait until June/July then I will contact the dealers in great Toronto area dealerships, just to touch base with them to see what they have, otherwise I would have to order it without really test driving it. Shit
I would check the Toronto area, really no hope to check the Winnipeg, MB tho I think, cuz there is only 2 dealerships in the entire province.
BTW, why wouldnt we get the same discounts that the US getting?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
Vassilis1971
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Purchased mine from Parview in late March 2015, delivered in July 2015. Azurite Black here with full SS.

Aside from our US friends having better discounting we are also lacking the ability to pick up at Spartenburg. The US online portal also allows you to be briefed on production states. Here you receive that info via the dealer but I found it was easier to call BMW Canada with my production # for status updates. (They received weekly calls that became daily calls as the day of delivery was nearing)

Overall nothing too drastic to deal with especially post delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
andrewx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassilis1971 View Post
Purchased mine from Parview in late March 2015, delivered in July 2015. Azurite Black here with full SS.

Aside from our US friends having better discounting we are also lacking the ability to pick up at Spartenburg. The US online portal also allows you to be briefed on production states. Here you receive that info via the dealer but I found it was easier to call BMW Canada with my production # for status updates. (They received weekly calls that became daily calls as the day of delivery was nearing)

Overall nothing too drastic to deal with especially post delivery.
Thanks Vassilis! No I have not called the BMW CA yet. I am still in the mood of" test it, take it," I know it is not a good sign to have when it comes to buying a car. However I would still like to test drive it first before I make any decisions.
The problem is I have done some research about inventories, most of the dealerships in GTA areas tend to "hide" their X6M a bit, I searched Auto Trade CA I came out with just 2 X6M in Ontario.... So I am stil not sure about how many X6m are actually out there. The potential bad thing might be I would still have to order it when I get to Canada and that is going to be another couples months of waiting, plus I can't rent a car for just waiting...
Appreciate 0