BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
JL724
Rep
Drives: F-Type R

ECU Tuning Options

I can't find a concise thread about this, so I thought I would start one and hopefully people will chime in with information. I assume because the platform is relatively new, and most owners aren't interested in modifying this car, there isn't going to be a lot of real world experience on this. From searching the forums, it appears the following options are currently available:

RaceChip
Active Autowerke
Velos
Dinan
ESS

Are there any material differences between these options besides price? The M5 folks seem to be very big on the JB4 tune from Burger Motorsports. I assume they make a tune for the X5M, but have e-mailed them to confirm.

RaceChip seems to be the most talked about on here, but it also appears to be the least expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1248422
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

No magic in piggybacks. A few things to think about:

1. Fuel, air, spark. That's all it takes to make power.

2. Pump gas will only support a limited amount of No. 1

3. Piggybacks "generally " alter air and the DME adjusts the fuel and spark to match.

4. How the air transition is handled effects how smoothly the power is added and how well the part throttle "feels". Herky Jerky or stock plus.

5. Module and harness quality

6. Bypass options for peace of mind.

7. All can add air (boost) all can make more power all are limited by octane.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1458945550

Install for RaceChip and similar BMS, Velos, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

http://files.dinancars.com/webresour...45f7e94a87.pdf

Dinan install
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Here is my rule of thumb.
If you want a simple power bump, I do suggest the simple piggy back like RaceChip, Velos, ActiveAutowerke. They all work the same. I don't think the extra connector to monitor the RPM does much on Velos and ActiveAutowerke piggy back tunes.
If you want something simple with the warranty coverage, I suggest the Dinan.
But, once you are going full blown modding, I do suggest at the very minimum bench flash tune or full on custom tune where they tune the car on the dyno.
Otherwise, don't bother with BMS where it still a piggy back with capability to change the variables.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
JL724
Rep

Thank you. Is there a reason there is so much price variation among the piggy back units? RaceChip is around $650, AA $1,000, BMS $1,000, Velos $2,000, Dinan $3,000.

Dinan comes with the warranty, hence the premium, but the rest seem to run the gamut for essentially the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #8
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL724 View Post
Thank you. Is there a reason there is so much price variation among the piggy back units? RaceChip is around $650, AA $1,000, BMS $1,000, Velos $2,000, Dinan $3,000.

Dinan comes with the warranty, hence the premium, but the rest seem to run the gamut for essentially the same thing?
Yes. One other thing to look at....see if the company is ISO certified...not a necessity....but ISO is a nice QC bonus.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL724

Simple rule from my experience in the manufacturer end. The higher the price of the car, the higher the price of the parts, even though it cost the same to makes them. It just how it works.
Some customer with Supercars will not buy a muffler tagged at couple thousand.
I have sold a muffler for Aventador which is just a bent pipe welded together, and it cost $15k.
Some Taiwanese company copied it and price tag it at $2000. Guess what, they still buying the $15k.
But in BMS case, for over the shelves components, it is marked up way too much IMO.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
JL724
Rep

Thanks for the input. Anyone else have experience with some of the tunes? Curious how they like them over longer periods of time.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #11
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M F85 Akra, RaceChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Simple rule from my experience in the manufacturer end. The higher the price of the car, the higher the price of the parts, even though it cost the same to makes them. It just how it works.
Some customer with Supercars will not buy a muffler tagged at couple thousand.
I have sold a muffler for Aventador which is just a bent pipe welded together, and it cost $15k.
Some Taiwanese company copied it and price tag it at $2000. Guess what, they still buying the $15k.
But in BMS case, for over the shelves components, it is marked up way too much IMO.
Thanks for your honesty man,,, You have been posting very solid and helpful comments through out the forums and your shop is def. in my fav. list... Keep it up bro.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #12
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

I hate to keep commenting as I highly value other opinions and hope they keep coming.

I have installed and Vbox tested BMS, RaceChip and Dinan on 3 different engines. They all work.

Dinan : Very high quality, smooth power transition, expensive. Works well. Still on the car. Not adjustable. No easy bypass.

BMS : Works. Reasonable price. No easy bypass. Adjustable.

RaceChip : Very high quality. Smooth power transition. Reasonable price. Adjustable. Works well. Still on the car. Very easy bypass.

Last edited by onfireX5; 04-16-2016 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 11:08 PM   #13
m3driv3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL724
I can't find a concise thread about this, so I thought I would start one and hopefully people will chime in with information. I assume because the platform is relatively new, and most owners aren't interested in modifying this car, there isn't going to be a lot of real world experience on this. From searching the forums, it appears the following options are currently available:

RaceChip
Active Autowerke
Velos
Dinan
ESS

Are there any material differences between these options besides price? The M5 folks seem to be very big on the JB4 tune from Burger Motorsports. I assume they make a tune for the X5M, but have e-mailed them to confirm.

RaceChip seems to be the most talked about on here, but it also appears to be the least expensive.
I am running jb4 with BCM. Been running two weeks with consistent logs and forward upgrades with Terry. Still working canbus out (steering wheel controls). Just got boost gauge on fuel gauge functioning. More or less a development car, they won't release a lot yet but I have confirmed it does work. Car is INCREDIBLY noticeable over stock. Dyno day got rescheduled but ~650awhp/680awtq is what is expected. Put 13 cars on a full bolt on isF from a dig, and a half a car on a 14 Gtr black with Cobb tune, akro dp and exhaust, cooling system and trans tune. Twice from a dig. 3-5th is an absolute monster, trans holding the power well, sometimes spins all 4 in 1st and 2nd.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:25 AM   #14
tastelid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
I hate to keep commenting as I highly value other opinions and hope they keep coming.

I have installed and Vbox tested BMS, RaceChip and Dinan on 3 different engines. They all work.

Dinan : Very high quality, smooth power transition, expensive. Works well. Still on the car. Not adjustable. No easy bypass.

RaceChip : Very high quality. Smooth power transition. Reasonable price. Adjustable. Works well. Still on the car. Very easy bypass.
Doesn't the Dinan now support bluetooth / mobile apps for bypassing?
      04-18-2016, 04:58 AM   #15
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3driv3r View Post
I am running jb4 with BCM. Been running two weeks with consistent logs and forward upgrades with Terry. Still working canbus out (steering wheel controls). Just got boost gauge on fuel gauge functioning. More or less a development car, they won't release a lot yet but I have confirmed it does work. Car is INCREDIBLY noticeable over stock. Dyno day got rescheduled but ~650awhp/680awtq is what is expected. Put 13 cars on a full bolt on isF from a dig, and a half a car on a 14 Gtr black with Cobb tune, akro dp and exhaust, cooling system and trans tune. Twice from a dig. 3-5th is an absolute monster, trans holding the power well, sometimes spins all 4 in 1st and 2nd.
Damn. Any concerns on the stock suspension/drivetrain handling the considerable additional power?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 06:02 AM   #16
m3driv3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay
Quote:
Damn. Any concerns on the stock suspension/drivetrain handling the considerable additional power?
No sir
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 06:03 AM   #17
m3driv3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelid
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post

Doesn't the Dinan now support bluetooth / mobile apps for bypassing?
So does BMS, map 0 and also has a Bluetooth module
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #18
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You can turn off the effects of Dinan and BMS but it does not bypass the module if the module fails. Not a big deal, but I wanted to be able to bypass easily in case of a failure. Failures are very rare but have happened. IMHO they all should come with a simple bypass plug. Internal chip melts, car starts missing just pull over and back to stock in 30 seconds.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #19
m3driv3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5
Quote:
You can turn off the effects of Dinan and BMS but it does not bypass the module if the module fails. Not a big deal, but I wanted to be able to bypass easily in case of a failure. Failures are very rare but have happened. IMHO they all should come with a simple bypass plug. Internal chip melts, car starts missing just pull over and back to stock in 30 seconds.
BMS works that way. Piggy back fries the car will revert stock. Canbus stops working, reverts to stock. Throw a code and need the dealer unplug the main box and go or run map 0. It's a piggy back so technically unplugging it becomes a bypass. If we worried about that kind of stuff tho we shouldn't be kidding. Car handles it all, and just get friendly with your tech
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #20
JL724
Rep

Does the racechip impact any of the steering wheel controls or bluetooth functions? I guess more simply put, is there anything the car can't do after installing a racechip piggy back module that it could do before?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #21
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
BMS works that way. Piggy back fries the car will revert stock. Canbus stops working, reverts to stock. Throw a code and need the dealer unplug the main box and go or run map 0. It's a piggy back so technically unplugging it becomes a bypass. If we worried about that kind of stuff tho we shouldn't be kidding. Car handles it all, and just get friendly with your tech
When you get a chance unplug the box and report back. In the past this put the car in limp mode. Could be a new harness out now that works differently.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #22
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL724 View Post
Does the racechip impact any of the steering wheel controls or bluetooth functions? I guess more simply put, is there anything the car can't do after installing a racechip piggy back module that it could do before?
Racechip does not effect any controls. Pure stock functions.
Appreciate 1