05-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #881
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
I bought the entire Android screen and it is a bit buggy. Might do just a wireless CarPlay device. Is the Andream unit the current favorite?
Check your DM.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 11:55 PM   #882
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
I bought the entire Android screen and it is a bit buggy. Might do just a wireless CarPlay device. Is the Andream unit the current favorite?
they are all buggy as well.
      05-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #883
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
I'm really happy with mine now. The Andream unit isn't perfect but it's as close to oem as I think we're gonna get. Sometimes I do wish it was a touch screen but I was too worried about bugs to go the android screen route.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #884
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Quote:
I'm really happy with mine now. The Andream unit isn't perfect but it's as close to oem as I think we're gonna get. Sometimes I do wish it was a touch screen but I was too worried about bugs to go the android screen route.
The Android screen works well except for CarPlay. After using CarPlay, I realized it fits my needs almost perfectly.

That being said, one of the drawbacks using the Android was that GPS didn't track accurately. I wonder if I install the GPS included w the unit if that would solve my only real complaint about Android.

Decisions decisions. Already ordered the Andream unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #885
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 50i,750i,650i,GL63

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Android screen works well except for CarPlay. After using CarPlay, I realized it fits my needs almost perfectly.

That being said, one of the drawbacks using the Android was that GPS didn't track accurately. I wonder if I install the GPS included w the unit if that would solve my only real complaint about Android.

Decisions decisions. Already ordered the Andream unit.
A Y cable splitter will allow you to plug into your BMW gps antenna and will work much better for reception. You can pick up from amazon.

Toss the useless one that came with your android unit.

Last edited by jch1511; 05-21-2020 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #886
UcanTry
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Been looking over all 41 pages in this thread and wanted to ask since there doesn’t appear to much updates in the past couple months. I want to order one they works with oem mike, steering wheel and iDrive controls, and everything factory it can. I’m deciding between the bimmertech or andream unit. Can anyone recommend or tell me if there is a difference? From reading I don’t really see much or really a lot with bimmertech. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #887
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UcanTry View Post
Been looking over all 41 pages in this thread and wanted to ask since there doesn’t appear to much updates in the past couple months. I want to order one they works with oem mike, steering wheel and iDrive controls, and everything factory it can. I’m deciding between the bimmertech or andream unit. Can anyone recommend or tell me if there is a difference? From reading I don’t really see much or really a lot with bimmertech. Thank you
Very simple.. go with the andream
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #888
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Indeed. Mostly the same unit from Asia. In fact, the other place is just an overpriced, importer/ reseller with a fancy site and domestic location.

Save you money and get one on aliexpress.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #889
UcanTry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1511 View Post
Indeed. Mostly the same unit from Asia. In fact, the other place is just an overpriced, importer/ reseller with a fancy site and domestic location.

Thanks guys. Other then US support I don’t really see a difference. But thought I’d ask on here to people that’s are using it.

Order from here safe?
https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll.../apple-carplay
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2020, 09:47 PM   #890
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks guys. Other then US support I don’t really see a difference. But thought I’d ask on here to people that’s are using it.

Order from here safe?
https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll.../apple-carplay
You can. Although I would go though their store on aliexpress. This way, you can file a dispute though aliexpress if there is a problem, like eBay. Also, be sure to use credit card for purchase protection.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #891
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

What's the call quality with those units, especially data calls like FaceTime? X5's HF system is terrible, the sound quality is just awful - and I wonder if this mod changes that situation in any way.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:48 PM   #892
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinsky View Post
What's the call quality with those units, especially data calls like FaceTime? X5's HF system is terrible, the sound quality is just awful - and I wonder if this mod changes that situation in any way.
No difference, this box is just an interface to allow you to add CarPlay. You are still using the factory amp and audio system.
Appreciate 1
devlinsky369.00
      05-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #893
UcanTry
Private
Rep

Quote:
You can. Although I would go though their store on aliexpress. This way, you can file a dispute though aliexpress if there is a problem, like eBay. Also, be sure to use credit card for purchase protection.
Thanks for all the help.

Is this the aliexpress seller and link:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400039..._c=&gclid=null
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #894
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the help.

Is this the aliexpress seller and link:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400039...#38;gclid=null
Yes. Just look for the best price in their store. Sometimes they have multiple listings with different unit and shipping cost.

Also, if you are new on aliexpress, they have new user coupons to save a few $.

You can also go though cash back sites to get some money back like topcashback or rakuten. They do work, I use it all the time. Make sure you click on the cash back site first, then link to aliexpress.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #895
UcanTry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Just look for the best price in their store. Sometimes they have multiple listings with different unit and shipping cost.

Also, if you are new on aliexpress, they have new user coupons to save a few $.

You can also go though cash back sites to get some money back like topcashback or rakuten. They do work, I use it all the time. Make sure you click on the cash back site first, then link to aliexpress.

Ok I will look around the site and I would be new user so hopefully I can find something. Thanks for all the help.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:15 PM   #896
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds like your mobile operator is trash, Chinese box not gonna fix since this - I have no issues with the FaceTime audio calls, they sound even better than the regular calls.

And before you will go and buy the box for calls, read this:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=2077
      05-25-2020, 12:32 AM   #897
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, got the message, thank you - I'm not touching this box and I'm starting to look around for nbt evo hu.

Btw, it's not the problem of my operator, sound quality on the headset is excellent, same for other cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:45 AM   #898
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Ok, got the message, thank you - I'm not touching this box and I'm starting to look around for nbt evo hu.

Btw, it's not the problem of my operator, sound quality on the headset is excellent, same for other cars.
Yea and that comes with its own headaches.

I had the latest evo system and it was not working as much as it was working. The system kept thinking it was being stolen and would always turn off and show no signal in red letters and I'd have to take it all apart and send it out to be fixed and then sent back.

All the while I could not use my cell phone to use Bmw connected any more and lost features.

Not worth it.

I went with the JOYEE unit witch was the same as the bimmer retrofit one and it's been totally fine and has worked like OEM pretty much. The mic I just hid behind the trim when I put it all back together so it's not noticeable unless you remove the trim yet it still understands everything I say.

And the Siri setup is nice just use my steering wheel controls and scroll wheel like the OEM version. I had a loaner X5 with factory Car play and don't understand why some people have such a hard time with some of these boxes. They work as close to OEM as you can get without it being OEM.

Other than that it also supports mirroring of the iPhone and airplay so I couldn't be happier as the OEM unit doesn't do that. And when I don't want carplay I just turn it off or turn off auto connect.

If you want to retain all features of your X5 these boxes are your best bet if you want an expensive evo system where you drop thousands like I did you can do that to. I regretted that and am now happy with the current old idrive and with the joyee box I get to keep all my options and not have any issues. Sold my evo system and am staying with the standard setup. Carplay makes upgrading to the evo system outdated anyway as it will always be current and updated.

Best advise I can give is take your time and get the right box because some are terrible and don't work as advertised. Some are great and well thought out. But I advise against doing the evo upgrade as nice and flashy as it is it wares off after a while and you just start wishing it would work like it should.

Don't even get me started how the dealer screwed it up once when they updated my car. They could not reprogram the x5 without the original idrive setup. my lower footwell module needed updating and with the evo system in their it can Brick the system if your in for service and they want to update the x5 your SOL until your put the old one back in. PITA!
Appreciate 1
devlinsky369.00
      05-25-2020, 01:26 AM   #899
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh crap, thanks for that, back to the drawing board for me I guess. I need to talk to my coder friend if your issues could be caused by faulty coding/programming/etc, if not, I might indeed go for the box since they're pretty cheap hence the risk is low.

Thank you for your input, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #900
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
I appreciate the joyeauto box. Same as some folks here. Got latest X3 loaner for a couple of week with CarPlay. Beside the touch screen I feel the joyeauto is the very same if not better. And it's compatible with more than just your current NBT Car system.

Installation is a bit scary at first, then you get used to it. Not to mention, all boxes install the same way and need to be stuffed behind your NBT system.

Support wise it's good. Could be a bit kinder but the community makes up for the difference.

I would recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #901
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I installed an Android screen and was on the fence about it so ordered the Andream unit. The Android screen is working better now so I might not use the Andream unit. If anyone wants it, I might sell it. I paid $258.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #902
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Folks an update is available on JoyeAuto.
Appreciate 1
NYC_X5370.00