BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #1
Oilfun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5d

N57 Diesel Oil bypass filter and install

During the Black Friday sale I pulled the trigger and got a an oil bypass filter from Insane Diesel. I opted to get the bigger filter "X2" or "EXTREME X2" which is rated for 8-16 quarts. The X1 is naturally smaller and is rated for 1-8 quarts - either will work - I just like bigger things.

Plumbing: I used the oil pressure sensor port on the driver side of the engine below the stock oil filter; the port size is M12x1.5

This adapter WILL NOT fit. It makes the stock sensor stick out too far and interfere with the air filter box.

Instead you need an adapter which I scored from Hard Motorsports, it has 2 M12x1.5 ports and 1 - 1/8 NPT port. It would be nice if someone developed a M12x1.5(male) to M12x1.5(female) 45 degree or even a 90 degree fitting and then you can use the generic fitting that didn't fit.
https://www.hardmotorsport.com/rally...adapter-block/

This is the kit- note the billet oil fill cap for the return line.

NOTE: while working be aware of the exposed electrical contact point which I circled in red - I found out the "hot" way.... Lesson learned - now I share it with you.

If you notice the kit I received came with 4 - 1/8 NPT to 6AN fittings, however the filter housing calls for 2 - 1/4NPT fittings. Which I cannot totally blame Insane Diesel for, the kit I ordered was the "BMW Kit" which originally came with the EXTREME 1 filter housing which may be 1/8 NPT? I have a ton of these fittings laying around so it didn't matter to me, but me being inquisitive - I called Insane Diesel to confirm that the X2 is 1/4 NPT.

After a 30-40 minute phone call with the owner, I was very very happy with the wealth of knowledge he had. I admit, I'm an Amsoil user - I have their bypass on my Cummins and after going over the history of Insane Diesel and the filter itself the $500 bullet became much easier to swallow to the point I will probably swap out the Amsoil bypass on the cummins for one of these bypasses. Plus when you take this filter housing out of the box, automatically you can feel the quality. Let me add, American made......

https://insanediesel.com/products/bm...filtration-kit

I have 35,000 miles on the odometer - about 5,000 on this oil change. I took a sample of the oil before adding the bypass and will be taking a sample in the next few weeks to compare the the two samples (standby for an oil analysis update)

The Zinc bracket came with the kit, I used spare metal in the garage to fab up a mount. You really don't need to weld anything like I did.

I also posted this in my “diesel improvement” thread

Last edited by Oilfun; 12-15-2021 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
nerushan5
Registered
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

Do you think there are other places in the engine bay that this filter could be installed?
Appreciate 0