BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-15-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
sunburninaz
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Questions about adding a backup camera to a 2016 F15

After having my 2016 X5 for almost three years, I'm finally getting around to adding a backup camera. Not sure why anyone would have ordered one without it. It does have PDC though. I recently picked up a used OEM camera off the same year X5 so I have that sitting here. I also plan on adding this for touch screen capability and Apple Car Play.

https://4x4shop.ca/product/2014-2016...al-nbt-system/

Several years ago, I asked about adding a camera and got this response:

I retro'd the reversing camera and the wiring is not present, you need the camera, tailgate switch assembly to suit camera, and the camera loom, which runs to the rear fusebox, head unit and Body domain Controller ECU. Then you will need to add the camera ecu (Icam2 for rear only) to the VO. This will then need flashing. I used Esys with the full Psdz files. Its quite a time consuming job. Its a pain in the bum to do and i only did the rear.

I have several questions:

1. I have shopped for the wiring harness for the camera and every one I have found seems to have just two connectors, one at each end. The response above seems to indicate that the wiring harness (loom) for it should have multiple connections. What is the correct answer for this? Does anyone have a part number?

2. As mentioned above, I do have PDC. The response indicates that I will need a separate camera ECU. Is this correct? If I have to add one, where should it be mounted? Is there any other hardware that I will need?

3. I have looked high and low and can't find any step by step or video on how to do this - the best route for running the harness from the hatch to the dash, what trim pieces will need to be removed, all the different connections, etc. Is there a tutorial somewhere to help me with this project?

Once I complete the install, I will probably have someone else code it. Any suggestions?

Is there anything else that anyone would suggest before I tackle this?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Doug

Last edited by sunburninaz; 07-19-2022 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0