BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2022, 03:52 PM   #1
sconnell80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 F15

Sunroof issues in 2014 F15

Hello I’m trying to see if anyone has had the same issues with the panoramic roof as I have. I have replaced the rear sunroof shade motor for the 4th time now and it is not working again. It will work for about 2 weeks then quit working. I’ve run the initialization multiple times by holding the vent button and also by doing it through ISTA. Always end up with the same results, replacing the motor. Instead of buying anothe motor just to have it stop working again, where should I be looking module wise as to what controls the sunroof controls? Our last BMW X5 never had issues like this and it’s quite annoying not having a feature work. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation for me. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 06:07 PM   #2
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

The cassette may be loading up the motor. i.e., it may be binding.

You may not want to hear this, but you may be better off fixing it once and leaving it be until you sell the vehicle. I know from personal experience how fragile and expensive BMW roofs can become.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
sconnell80
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat_F15_STL View Post
The cassette may be loading up the motor. i.e., it may be binding.

You may not want to hear this, but you may be better off fixing it once and leaving it be until you sell the vehicle. I know from personal experience how fragile and expensive BMW roofs can become.
I did find a service bulletin where certain cassettes with certain numbers were bad and got replaced by BMW, but this one is out of the number range. The cassette was greased up and lubed about 2 motors ago and everything is moving smoothly without binding, I even slid the sun shade by hand and it moves freely with the motor removed. I’ve thought about replacing the whole cassette but doing that as a last result and not throwing money at parts that don’t need replacing. I’m gonna diagnose the module/control unit next and see if there is any issues with it, or if it is controlled by another module that is corrupt. Thank you for your response though as I will check the cassette again.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 02:02 PM   #4
sconnell80
United_States
Rep

Just an update but I went to diagnose through ista+ and get voltage readings off the switch and just for giggles I did the manual reset holding the button down for 15-30 secs and it worked. I’m kinda leaning towards the fzm module being bad or wiring issue. As I pulled the module out of the headliner so I could get voltage readings. So out of the motors I have that I thought were burned up are possibly still good and useable. Even though I don’t wanna throw money at parts that may not work I may end up looking for a used module and see what the outcome is.
Appreciate 0