BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-08-2023, 05:30 AM   #1
Cpove
Rep
Drives: 2014 camaro z/28 2017 BMW x5m

Exhaust note sounds

Hey guys, just went for a ride in my buddy's 2020 x6m competition and was surprised by how much more v8 sounding his car sounds than my 2017. I almost feel like mine sounds like a v6 sometimes.

Looking around I cant tell why they would sound any different since they are essentially the same engine with some minor engine tuning and different turbos? Did they go away from that cross style exhaust manifold in the newer vehicles.

I wish mine sounded more like his
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 06:49 AM   #2
meds1976
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 M50i

Garage List
Is yours an X6M as well? Or the X6 M50i? Because that could be causing the difference in sound.

Other than that, maybe look into a resonator and/or muffler delete with an x-pipe as a lot of people have done.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 09:44 AM   #3
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

I haven't heard the new ones, but my only real complaint in my 2017 X5M is the exhaust note inside the cabin. It sounds good on the outside, especially under load and pulling away. The inside sounds totally different and doesn't offer that V8 rumble at all. I've tried disconnecting the ASD, but then it sounded even quieter.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 10:24 AM   #4
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
I haven't heard the new ones, but my only real complaint in my 2017 X5M is the exhaust note inside the cabin. It sounds good on the outside, especially under load and pulling away. The inside sounds totally different and doesn't offer that V8 rumble at all. I've tried disconnecting the ASD, but then it sounded even quieter.
ASD doesn't do anything to the exhaust sound but it does get rid of the terrible fake engine noise. If you want it physically louder, open the exhaust valves and pull the fuse. That's what I did on mine. It's still not loud but it's certainly less muted overall during normal driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 07:13 PM   #5
kangfu84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMorgan View Post
ASD doesn't do anything to the exhaust sound but it does get rid of the terrible fake engine noise. If you want it physically louder, open the exhaust valves and pull the fuse. That's what I did on mine. It's still not loud but it's certainly less muted overall during normal driving.
Yes I did the same, opened the valve and pulled the fuse. Added a bit more grumble but nothing crazy. Also turned off/pulled fuse for ASD.

Would do a muffler delete but afraid of drone on longer highway trips with the family, so this will do for a little more noise for free
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 01:11 AM   #6
Cpove
Rep
Drives: 2014 camaro z/28 2017 BMW x5m

I had a eisenmann race exhaust on my car and I can say its not the need for a louder exhaust. his car in the 1500-3000rpm sounds way more throaty like a v8 wheras I find my 2017 sounds so much different, to the point I had to count the cylinders lol. Just looking into it in pictures it looks like the newer competition model cars have the same style exhaust manifolds so im curious as to why the newer x5m/x6m models sound so different from the previous gen (my 2017) I also ran my truck with no exhaust for a while when mine system was getting repaired and it sounded awful
Appreciate 0