BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-30-2023, 12:03 AM   #1
omarkarar
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

2017 50i - local dealer offering warranty?

Wondering if anyone has taken the bait from a local dealer calling saying that we can offer a new/extended warranty on your car (ranging anywhere from 2yr/24k miles up to 5yrs, 100k miles). I currently have ~50k miles on the car and have had no issues so far besides needing to top up oil every 4k miles. It is however, out of the factory warranty period.

While I love this car (and got a killer deal early Covid) am also aware that the V8TT has some issues in the past (+the future?) and was hoping to take it to at least 100k+ miles.

Is there a catch or is this a no-brainer for about $3-4k? What should I be clarifying/asking before signing up? For the 50i owners, at what mileage point did fixes start to get expensive? Appreciate any/all insights here.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 12:19 AM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarkarar View Post
Wondering if anyone has taken the bait from a local dealer calling saying that we can offer a new/extended warranty on your car (ranging anywhere from 2yr/24k miles up to 5yrs, 100k miles). I currently have ~50k miles on the car and have had no issues so far besides needing to top up oil every 4k miles. It is however, out of the factory warranty period.

While I love this car (and got a killer deal early Covid) am also aware that the V8TT has some issues in the past (+the future?) and was hoping to take it to at least 100k+ miles.

Is there a catch or is this a no-brainer for about $3-4k? What should I be clarifying/asking before signing up? For the 50i owners, at what mileage point did fixes start to get expensive? Appreciate any/all insights here.
We need to know more details about what kind of warranty this is. A lot of people hear the word 'warranty' and they think... full coverage, I'm all set, no worries...

It's all in the fine print of the warranty contract. There's some good warranties out there, and some truly awful ones. You want an exclusionary warranty, not an inclusionary warranty. I would start there, and find out more details.
Appreciate 0