BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

View Poll Results: How easy do you think it will be to find this car?
You'll find it with ease. 2 16.67%
Hard to find, but you'll get it for MSRP. 1 8.33%
If you find it, it's going to cost you. 3 25.00%
That one's a unicorn. Best of luck. 7 58.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

06-12-2022, 07:12 AM   #1
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Arrow Need some Valuation help from the Diesel F15 Crowd

Good morning, All. I need some support from some VERY specific vehicle owners in the F15 Diesel crowd (BMW X5 xdrive35d). I suspect we're about to get into a debate with insurance over the value of our (as far as we're concerned near-irreplaceably spec'd) 2017 X5 xdrive35d

For ONLY those F15 Diesels with No Accidents in history AND the following options (note: a few are especially rare)...
  • Bang & Olufson Sound System
  • Luxury Seating Package (COOLED & heated aka "Climate Controlled" perforated leather multi-contour seating)
  • Third Row Seating
  • Drivers Assistance Plus Package
  • Premium Package
  • Luxury Package
  • Drivers Assistance Package
  • Cold Weather Package

Note: If--in addition to those above--you also have the following (which our car does) this would be a major plus...
  • Mocha Interior Design Package with Mocha Nappa Leather Interior
  • Tow Package
  • Soft Close Automatic Doors
  • Under 70,000 miles (Ours is 66k)

...please list year, mileage, color, & name your price.

(Note: I know most folks with these options will not be willing to part with their car. I flew to Utah from the East Coast to inspect & drive this one home. We were recently offered $60k in a carpool line and turned it down simply because we saw the car as impossible to replace, but please name whatever price it would take for you to part with your rare & beloved diesel SAV).

For those with vehicles NOT fitting the above, please feel free to comment, but please do not list pricing as this may confuse the thread if we are inclined to submit it to insurance as evidence of the rarity & value of such vehicles. If we can't find anyone with the above options, we may ask for folks with similar specifications to lend a hand.

Thank you, as always, for the support of the community!

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )

Last edited by FormerRotor; 06-14-2022 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 07:18 AM   #2
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Preferred Response format...

I've got an F15 Diesel matching (or exceeding) your specifications above that I'd be willing to part with for $__________.

Year:
Mileage:
Exterior Color:
Interior Color:
Accidents in History:
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

So here is my take on this, when pandemic started, I got this idea of getting same car but 3 years newer and with few options I do not currently have. Tried to search for 2017-2018 diesel with comfort seats (don't have right now), LED lights, driver assistance plus with adaptive cruise control (don't have ACC right now), cold weather, factory tow package, mocha leather under 50K miles. Found plenty of 50i or 35i in all sorts of configurations for sale (and keep in mind this was the time when gas was dirt cheap and car demand was low due to the pandemic), but as soon as I would select diesel that search would return 1-2 cars nationwide if that. I feel like most of the diesels were built to order and stayed in the hands of the original owners, and the diesel pool of the F15 was smaller to begin with. Never found anything worth the update and this was in spring of 2020, when many cars were returning to dealers after the lease. Right now finding diesel F15 with these options (not even talking mileage) in my opinion is nearly impossible. X5 was one of the last German diesel SUVs on the American market, MB stopped selling diesel version in 2017, VAG group started the dieselgate. Even you do find such a car I would expect a solid premium on the price because of current gas prices, extremely limited stock for diesel version and extensive list of features. This is not a car you can find on cars.com or autotrader in 3 clicks. Personally I think this is nearly impossible to find right now, so best of luck to you pal.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 12:18 PM   #4
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
So here is my take...
Thank you for the thorough and well-thought out response, RED_Y_, and--of course--for the positive wishes.

Your experience very much parallels my own when searching for my wife's X5diesel (in question) back in 2019-2020. 6 months of national searching identified only 2 vehicles which checked nearly all of the boxes (at the time including CPO)...one didn't check out during private inspection and the other we flew across the country to purchase. And as you mention, these daily driving/highway extraordinaires have only become more rare since then, not even accounting for today's used car markets which are enough to make your head spin.

Finding a diesel with the Luxury Seating Package is hard enough. Add in third row and--especially--Bang and Olufsun and it is darn near impossible...drivers assistance plus, Premium Mocha Interior Design, luxury, cold weather, premium, etc., and the search is narrowed even further. Add the known-scarcity factor that BMW is no longer selling diesels into the US Market, and you have a supply/demand issue in which an already limited supply only dwindles in time.

Fortunately for those lucky enough to own such a beast, folks who know what they are looking at are willing to spend to obtain the last of the dying breed (Case & point: the 60k offer that was made to my wife in the carpool line that was most certainly not in jest).

For anyone owning the rare beast, Cherish what you have and--if no accidents & meeting the options list above--be sure to post your mileage & price below!

Last edited by FormerRotor; 06-14-2022 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #5
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
PS: To whoever the 1 poll voter was for "You'll find it with ease". Please point me in the right direction, my friend! I'd be happy to discover that you're right, but I'm afraid you may have missed the specifications in the original post.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #6
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

One more thing I forgot to mention, as far as I know diesel F15 are on the stop sale right now due to the recall.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 05:01 PM   #7
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Best wishes with the insurance co.

Wife and I looked for a year for our 2015 and had to settle on it even with an accident on record and 84,500 miles. We're glad we did though.

Name:  Options.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  258.4 KB

Not quite your spec, but wouldn't let it go for less than $26000 even with ~98,000 miles on it now and the accident. These things are too rare.
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1367.50
      06-14-2022, 07:34 PM   #8
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
These things are too rare.
Thanks for your response & good wishes, Crystalworks! Very nice specs on your car. A rare beauty indeed! Enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 09:35 PM   #9
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Spent....well over a year casually looking for mine. Has I think everything you're looking for (except 3rd row) and I snatched it up the same day it was listed, even at 110k miles now I plan to keep this till it dies. Good luck finding one as well equipped as you're looking for, I don't envy trying to find one again in this market
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 10:37 PM   #10
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Two folks who think you can find such a car with ease, can you please share links to the car listings or some other information where to look?
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #11
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Two folks who think you can find such a car with ease, can you please share links to the car listings or some other information where to look?
No kidding. I mean they do pop up, but not often. And not cheaply.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #12
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

OP, there is one for sale in Sac that I believe matches your requirements. It is missing the 360 camera (I believe it does not have DAP+). He has the mocha nappa interior with heated/ventilated seats, quad zone, third row, etc. PM me and I'll send you the seller's phone number--I'm going to text him now and confirm it's still available. Ad seems to be down currently

Edit more details: I know the market for these very well--I totaled mine a little over month ago and just bought a replacement last Friday. It has every option you listed except third row (didn't want or need) and cooled seats. I was willing to compromise on the cooled seats for the color I preferred and a 7k discount. I bought mine for 30k plus CA taxes/dealer fees, 33.5 out the door.

The guy in Sacramento is asking around 37k, budget 40k all said and done. I tried to negotiate but he wouldn't budge. Car does have some surface rust underneath on the bolts but nothing major (Boston car). It has about 82k miles on it. Good condition, front bumper was resprayed rather mediocrely but it presents well overall.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6

Last edited by Vivek.; 06-15-2022 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #13
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
OP, there is one for sale in Sac that I believe matches your requirements. It is missing the 360 camera (I believe it does not have DAP+). He has the mocha nappa interior with heated/ventilated seats, quad zone, third row, etc. PM me and I'll send you the seller's phone number--I'm going to text him now and confirm it's still available. Ad seems to be down currently

Edit more details: I know the market for these very well--I totaled mine a little over month ago and just bought a replacement last Friday. It has every option you listed except third row (didn't want or need) and cooled seats. I was willing to compromise on the cooled seats for the color I preferred and a 7k discount. I bought mine for 30k plus CA taxes/dealer fees, 33.5 out the door.

The guy in Sacramento is asking around 37k, budget 40k all said and done. I tried to negotiate but he wouldn't budge. Car does have some surface rust underneath on the bolts but nothing major (Boston car). It has about 82k miles on it. Good condition, front bumper was resprayed rather mediocrely but it presents well overall.
Thanks so much for this, @Vivek! Will PM

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 07:36 PM   #14
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Will keep everyone in the loop as to what insurance thinks our cars are worth in the current climate. I think the better-half is heartbroken enough over losing (or perhaps nearly losing) her baby F15 that we may head in a completely different direction if we need to replace. If so, it will be sad to no longer have the X5d, but the 335d will live on.

Bright side: Her 612Ms were not on the car at the time as we were heading camping…sitting snugly in the garage with brand new rear tires; so these will likely wind up FS and pass on the beauty of Der dieselmotor.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      06-25-2022, 02:51 AM   #15
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Just pulled the full build sheet...

...Really doubting we're going to be able to duplicate her. Anyone interested in salvage if insurance calls it a total loss (could be an amazing swap for someone with the skills and a more spartan interior)...

PREMIUM PACKAGE
  • 4-zone automatic climate control
  • Comfort Access keyless entry
  • Enhanced USB & Bluetooth
  • SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 1 year subscription
  • WiFi Hotspot with complimentary 3-month or 3GB trial
  • Wireless Charging
MOCHA INTERIOR DESIGN PACKAGE

DRIVING ASSISTANCE PLUS PACKAGE
  • Active Blind Spot Detection
  • Active Driving Assistant
  • Side and Top View Cameras
  • Speed Limit Info
DRIVING ASSISTANCE PACKAGE
  • Head-up Display
  • Rear view camera
LUXURY SEATING PACKAGE
  • Front ventilated seats
COLD WEATHER PACKAGE
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Heated rear seats
  • Retractable headlight washers
LUXURY PACKAGE
  • BMW Connected App Compatibility
MOCHA NAPPA LEATHER PACKAGE
  • Fineline Pure Textured Wood Trim
  • Mocha Nappa Leather
ADDED OPTIONS
  • 3rd row seat + air suspension
  • Aluminum running boards
  • Apple CarPlay Compatibility
  • Bang & Olufsen Sound System
  • Cold Weather Package
  • Driving Assistance Package
  • Driving Assistance Plus Package
  • Luxury Seating Package
  • Mocha Interior Design Package
  • Multi-contour seats
  • Premium Package
  • Soft-close automatic doors
STANDARD FEATURES
  • 19" Light alloy Orbit Grey wheels style 449-with all-season run-flat tires
  • 3rd row seat climate control
  • Additional 12-V power sockets
  • Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
  • Anthracite headliner
  • Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
  • BMW Assist eCall
  • BMW TeleServices
  • ConnectedDrive Services
  • Daytime driving lights
  • Floor mats
  • Heated front seats
  • LED Fog Lights
  • Lights Package
  • Lumbar support
  • Luxury Line
  • Navigation system
  • Park Distance Control
  • Power adjustable steering column
  • Privacy glass
  • Remote Services
  • Roof rails in Satin Aluminum
  • Smoker's package
  • Sport leather steering wheel
  • Storage package
  • Tire pressure monitor
  • Universal garage-door opener

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 06:06 AM   #16
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

I have an M Sport Mineral White '15 X5 35d with every option but leather dash and DHP - it's got cooled comfort seats, night vision, B&O, Driver Assistance Plus, 3rd row, LED headlights, Speed Limit, TJA, no accidents - amazing car. I really do worry about a major accident meaning I'd need to find another. I saw one (here in Canada) for sale like mine a few months back - it was gone in 2 days at major premium. So hard to find but so worth it if you can score one. Best of luck to those searching.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 04:32 PM   #17
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I can tell you it is utterly gut-wrenching to have another driver steal one of these rare beasts from you...even more-so when the insurance company attempts to send you completely incomparable comparables. My wife and I have literally been losing sleep over it (between the accident and the claim issues that have followed). Our insurer actually sent us a valuation based on the internet list price of a vehicle without any of the major-value packages, for which there was a major accident in its past, and which Carfax had flagged as having odometer inconsistencies and potential frame damage for sale at--essentially--a roadside used car dealer (our vehicle was 100% perfect, 0 accidents, purchased CPO from BMW with 1 previous owner, meticulously maintained, with all maintenance by BMW, and was under CPO warranty until just ~4 months ago). Needless to say, we rejected the offer, replied with an actual valuation report reflecting fair current-market value, and are going to give them 1 chance to agree to our counter-offer before we go to (a) legal counsel and very likely (b) the state's insurance board and (c) local news.

I'm not going to specifically site the insurer here as I would rather avoid the nonsense, but I suspect lowball valuations on total loss vehicles are an even more major issue than ever right now. Anyone attempting to buy any vehicle (none-the-less a rare one) knows that prices are currently through the roof if you are even lucky enough to find what you are looking for. I really doubt the insurance co's want a case like this being arbitrated, under the nose of a judge, or tried in the court of public opinion.

FWIW if anyone is curious: Our comps indicate that ultra-rare iterations of German Turbodiesels (like yours/ours or similar like our brother/sisters with loaded Cayenne Diesels with air susp., burmeister sound, etc.) are currently selling for ~25+% over NADA Guide, while standard, lesser-optioned versions are selling for 2.5% to 7.5% over NADA Guide. Just 4 months ago, the cash offer we received (and turned down) for ours was ~36% over NADA.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2022, 04:42 PM   #18
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
I'm not going to specifically site the insurer here as I would rather avoid the nonsense, but I suspect lowball valuations on total loss vehicles are an even more major issue than ever right now. Anyone attempting to buy any vehicle (none-the-less a rare one) knows that prices are currently through the roof if you are even lucky enough to find what you are looking for. I really doubt the insurance co's want a case like this being arbitrated, under the nose of a judge, or tried in the court of public opinion.
Insurance companies aren't the only guilty parties. Carmax just gave us an offer of $19000 this weekend. We also declined. Got the offer for S's and G's really as we figured it was going to be low compared to what the market would dictate. Even with ours not being the "nicest" example, we'd likely get high 20's for it private party.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 06:56 PM   #19
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Quote:
Insurance companies aren't the only guilty parties. Carmax just gave us an offer of $19000 this weekend. We also declined. Got the offer for S's and G's really as we figured it was going to be low compared to what the market would dictate. Even with ours not being the "nicest" example, we'd likely get high 20's for it private party.
out of curiosity i put mine into carmax and got a 18k offer. Threw up a bit
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 08:29 PM   #20
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolinlevh View Post
out of curiosity i put mine into carmax and got a 18k offer. Threw up a bit
FYI, we considered comps out of Carmax (using their list price + Tax, Tags & Processing to yeild "Actual Cash Value"). Carmax Lists a typical X5d from 4% to 7.5% above NADA Guide before TT&P. The delta appears to be based on what they consider "loaded". Loaded vehicles wind up on the higher end.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 10:29 AM   #21
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
FYI, we considered comps out of Carmax (using their list price + Tax, Tags & Processing to yeild "Actual Cash Value"). Carmax Lists a typical X5d from 4% to 7.5% above NADA Guide before TT&P. The delta appears to be based on what they consider "loaded". Loaded vehicles wind up on the higher end.
Interesting. They were $6500 below NADA trade-in on their offer to us using the "average" category. So, you're saying they'd sell ours for $27k+ (NADA "average" $25450 + 7%).

Not a bad racket they got going there. $7500 profit, assuming $500 to replace the windshield (couple nicks in driver's LoS) was the only deficiency they noted on the appraisal. That's a nice 39%+ profit.

Name:  NADA.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  330.5 KB

Last edited by crystalworks; 06-28-2022 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 02:05 PM   #22
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
I can tell you it is utterly gut-wrenching to have another driver steal one of these rare beasts from you...even more-so when the insurance company attempts to send you completely incomparable comparables. My wife and I have literally been losing sleep over it (between the accident and the claim issues that have followed). Our insurer actually sent us a valuation based on the internet list price of a vehicle without any of the major-value packages, for which there was a major accident in its past, and which Carfax had flagged as having odometer inconsistencies and potential frame damage for sale at--essentially--a roadside used car dealer (our vehicle was 100% perfect, 0 accidents, purchased CPO from BMW with 1 previous owner, meticulously maintained, with all maintenance by BMW, and was under CPO warranty until just ~4 months ago). Needless to say, we rejected the offer, replied with an actual valuation report reflecting fair current-market value, and are going to give them 1 chance to agree to our counter-offer before we go to (a) legal counsel and very likely (b) the state's insurance board and (c) local news.

FWIW if anyone is curious: Our comps indicate that ultra-rare iterations of German Turbodiesels (like yours/ours or similar like our brother/sisters with loaded Cayenne Diesels with air susp., burmeister sound, etc.) are currently selling for ~25+% over NADA Guide, while standard, lesser-optioned versions are selling for 2.5% to 7.5% over NADA Guide. Just 4 months ago, the cash offer we received (and turned down) for ours was ~36% over NADA.
Please keep us updated on your progress. I went back and forth for a while when my e34 was totaled in December. They gave me a comparison to a 525i which is half as desirable as my 535i was. Logic did not seem to register when I told them that it's literally not even the same car.

Their requirements for a "comparable vehicle" were a moving target, every time I submitted a comp they came up with a new reason that it didn't work, and then countered with another comp that didn't even fit THEIR OWN requirements. I gave up in the end, all I wanted was an extra 2 grand or so (I wanted 8k, they were offering 6) and it wasn't worth the damn hassle. Dealing with them made me want to bash my head into a wall. Was a super clean car that was owned by one guy who bought it new and drove it til the day he died and I bought it from his son-in-law; only had 150k on a 30 year old car. They wouldn't even give me "above average" condition
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0