BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-23-2023, 07:41 PM   #23
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

How did you settle on that's there is a fault with the compressor? Just glancing through some of the posts, and it looks like this new compressor has popped a fuse a couple of times.

How are you getting height reported by sensors?(genuinely interested, I could not find the option/value in ISTA). Reading through ISTA, it was only reporting the delta from the desired height, not the actual sensor height.

Do you still have the original F85 bags? Can they hold up long enough to get to height to prove that the issue is/isn't with the compressors or sensors?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 09:50 PM   #24
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6GC, X5M, M3, X7, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
How did you settle on that's there is a fault with the compressor? Just glancing through some of the posts, and it looks like this new compressor has popped a fuse a couple of times.

How are you getting height reported by sensors?(genuinely interested, I could not find the option/value in ISTA). Reading through ISTA, it was only reporting the delta from the desired height, not the actual sensor height.

Do you still have the original F85 bags? Can they hold up long enough to get to height to prove that the issue is/isn't with the compressors or sensors?
Rear was low. Fuses & relay were good. Running compressor with ISTA raised height <1mm each cycle. Sounded slightly "leaky".

After replacing the compressor, one cycle raised height to "nominal" level from almost fully deflated (0mm deviation from target when measured, but in reality still a little low). I think the discharge valve was the culprit. A second fill cycle popped the fuse.

I was still getting error codes, and the height was still a little low. Somewhat confusing because it was riding OK, appeared close to normal height, and sensors reported 0mm deviation from target with first measurement. In hindsight the second "loaded" measurement was probably accurate, reporting ~20-30ish mm under target.

I ran the "ride height sensors: start-up" procedure under "ride height adjustment". This has you input wheel size and measure ride height on all for corners. It also tells you the absolute height from the sensor vs. actual measured. I'm not sure if this is the correct procedure to run, or if it will help?

Before running the procedure I filled the bags and the height went up ~15mm to a reported -11mm below target. A second fill attempt popped the fuse again. From my earlier post, the sensors were reporting the absolute height about 24-ish mm too high. Not sure if this was actually corrected.

I was still getting the chassis function message and the short circuit to B+ fault, so something must still be malfunctioning. Drove it today and need to scan it again when I have time. I suspect the EHC module will have faults. Maybe it's the issue?

I am concerned about the fuse popping. It seems the new compressor is drawing too much current when it fires up for a second fill. Maybe it heats up a little and something changes?

Bags were replaced about a year ago, maybe 3-4k miles. Pretty sure they are good since sagging and all inflate/deflate operations affected both sides equally.

I haven't disassembled the original compressor to check the discharge valve or other parts yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 09:34 PM   #25
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM6 View Post
I was still getting the chassis function message and the short circuit to B+ fault, so something must still be malfunctioning...

I am concerned about the fuse popping...
Found the issue. The connector to the discharge valve was not fully seated. So there was an intermittent short (ISTA error was correct) that would blow the 40A fuse, and give the chassis function restricted message. Lesson learned. Press really hard until you hear the click.

I hope this helps someone else. Credit goes to a couple of Bimmerforums UK members.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 07:42 PM   #26
Ammar B
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M (F85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenM View Post
Trying to install new sus. air compressor and I can't get past these black bars on the F85. I've seen videos of the F15 but they don't seem to have the bars. Is there a service manual/guide to doing the air compressor on the F85? has anyone tried to replace the Suspension Air Compressor on the F85?
Hey do you happen to know the valve block model for F85 air compressor?
Also just wondering how did your compressor replacement turn out and what model did you end up using?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 07:57 PM   #27
Ammar B
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M (F85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM6 View Post
Found the issue. The connector to the discharge valve was not fully seated. So there was an intermittent short (ISTA error was correct) that would blow the 40A fuse, and give the chassis function restricted message. Lesson learned. Press really hard until you hear the click.

I hope this helps someone else. Credit goes to a couple of Bimmerforums UK members.
Hey Mike - I have to replace the block valve on my compressor since some air is passing back into the compressor (no leaks in the bag). Did you happen to notice the OEM block valve model on the compressor? Any pictures you can share? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 10:00 PM   #28
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammar B View Post
Hey Mike - I have to replace the block valve on my compressor since some air is passing back into the compressor (no leaks in the bag). Did you happen to notice the OEM block valve model on the compressor? Any pictures you can share? Thanks
Are you referring to the discharge valve or the "block" with 2 valves where the blue & red air lines to the bags connect?
Appreciate 0