BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2023, 11:00 PM   #1
Garcia_f24
Private
Rep
Drives: Range Rover SVR — X5M (

Wastegate rattle fix?

Just a few days ago, I started noticing a weird rattle when idling at a red light. it does go away while accelerating so that leads me to believe it is a wastegate issue.
I found a couple "rattle repair kits" for the turbos, however Im wondering if anyone has used them, or if there is another better known solution to it.

this is the repair kit I found:
https://shop.mambatek.com/SUS316-Twi...M-077-0024.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 05:22 PM   #2
zeroping
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M (F85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia_f24 View Post
Just a few days ago, I started noticing a weird rattle when idling at a red light. it does go away while accelerating so that leads me to believe it is a wastegate issue.
I found a couple "rattle repair kits" for the turbos, however Im wondering if anyone has used them, or if there is another better known solution to it.

this is the repair kit I found:
https://shop.mambatek.com/SUS316-Twi...M-077-0024.htm
How confident are you that it's wastegate rattle? I had a F30 that had wastegate rattle and so does my wifes 2020 Audi A3. Both go away a minute after everything is warmed up and expands a bit.

Now that I think of it, I thought we had diverter vales?

This is common on this platform: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28277371
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 06:59 PM   #3
Garcia_f24
Private
Rep

I'd say Im 90% sure it is, but I wont know for sure until the turbos are out. the rattle doesnt go away when warm, I can still hear it, not as loud but its there. I got a quote to get them fixed for $800, all new parts + labour, will take 2 days. Im undecided if it's worth it right now, I know it'll create a boost leak if left unattended, but it's not that bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 11:49 PM   #4
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Does the rattle go away when in sports+? In comfort the wastegates are partially open and given the design of the flap. It can rattles.

This issue becomes very apparent when you go aftermarket cats.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 09:21 PM   #5
Garcia_f24
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Does the rattle go away when in sports+? In comfort the wastegates are partially open and given the design of the flap. It can rattles.

This issue becomes very apparent when you go aftermarket cats.
not really, it's not as noticeable, but it's still there. I do have catless dp, and fi axhaust, so that probably doesnt help.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 11:50 AM   #6
bert2stone
Rep
Drives: F86

I bought these flaps from Mambatek as a spare for my next turbo rebuild when needed. Previously for my E71M turbos overhaul I bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/123471086196 from Turbo Lab of America.

According to my local turbo rebuild shop the Garrett is not providing the flap spare parts anymore, going aftermarket remains the only option.

I prefer the Mambatek single piece design.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:42 PM   #7
Pythonic50i
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 50i

Anyone have any update on this or recent fixes? My 2019 50i is having what I’m sure is wastegate rattle, happens more when cold and hear it when it shifts, under lower rpm load, somewhat goes away once warm or less noticeable atleast, just ticked over 57k miles on mine so out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 06:58 PM   #8
Ebtahi98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW13E70X5M720?hpAudi2003RS66+

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
1989/2000/2006/2018 ...  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
Smoke test 🤷🏻‍♂️ then you’ll know everything/// - Idk if you have CPO or ? - I’m good until 2026.7// I could get you custom stage two turbos for this car for less than $2500 all billet internals//just like pure turbo stage two or I could get you a little bit cheaper stage one-PM me if and when interested 👍 /// On My F85 M
- just last week I can’t even believe I’m about to unleash the words from my mouth what are gonna come out they replaced my entire torque vectoring M rear end at a cost of $7000 because an O-ring seal was weeping! You heard me correct weeping not leaking-The reason they gave to the warranty company was the metal was cast incorrectly with a porous metal🙄 I think to myself I feel terrible for these warranty companies yet I do not but that’s a bit much that’s a bit insane and $4800 to replace the rear airbags the load leveling airbags I mean what!!! That’s a $600 repair at an Indy shop 800 at Tops for both bags🙄-yeah Bmw added a compressor thanks that’s bananas $7000 for a rear end that needed an O-ring seal from the output shaft going to the passenger side rear wheel- unreal!///
When I was picking up the car from Bmw I was said to them them. I want the core back right now. They said no I can’t have it because they’re sending it back to Bmw. I’m like show it to me and prove it to me they couldn’t and I’m like I see.🤨!!!-when I get the pictures of the unit that was weeping and I posted nobody’s gonna believe that they actually replace the rear end but they did and here it is absolutely incredible and my warranty is actually through Ford Ford motor company CPO my car - Thanks Ford - Bmw is fleecing the hell out of you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 07:13 PM   #9
Ebtahi98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
This is a set of turbo I installed in my E70 X5M with a JBfour on a map 18- 22psi I was making 780 hp with downpipe - not even pushing it hard - these turbos are about $2500 per pair - all billet internals all brand new- Send core - I price this w/core charge included - W/Out add 400$(if you’re buying, let’s say two or three units I will bend on price) - I may even forget about a core charge or two // everything I show you is mainly for only S63 three granted it will work for both /-just the B engines versus the TU’s are not interchangeable but if you’re reading this and we’re talking about turbo you already know this lol - you can also change the type of impeller you want if you want a 12 blade or a six blade a nine blade whatever you want it may tweak the price but not much we’re talking like $15-$100 maybe 150 max if you want full hard-core stage two with bass drum, Keith, moon style wastegates - DRUM TIGHT - Lmk /let me know if you’re building a car that’s gonna be over 1000 hp or you just want it for daily use I’ll even tell you what’s your best turbo option and you will be paying less than probably a third of what you would pay to pure Turbos or ANYWHERE ELSE - He has so much experience with this engine and has so many requests since I’m his very good friend I’ll just say this much and we do a lot of business. He takes care of me and I take care of the Bmw community because I pay it forward like that I’m not making a penny, but I will not lose money on shipping either. lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Cbozz688.50
      02-21-2024, 09:01 PM   #10
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebtahi98 View Post
This is a set of turbo I installed in my E70 X5M with a JBfour on a map 18- 22psi I was making 780 hp with downpipe - not even pushing it hard - these turbos are about $2500 per pair - all billet internals all brand new- Send core - I price this w/core charge included - W/Out add 400$(if you’re buying, let’s say two or three units I will bend on price) - I may even forget about a core charge or two // everything I show you is mainly for only S63 three granted it will work for both /-just the B engines versus the TU’s are not interchangeable but if you’re reading this and we’re talking about turbo you already know this lol - you can also change the type of impeller you want if you want a 12 blade or a six blade a nine blade whatever you want it may tweak the price but not much we’re talking like $15-$100 maybe 150 max if you want full hard-core stage two with bass drum, Keith, moon style wastegates - DRUM TIGHT - Lmk /let me know if you’re building a car that’s gonna be over 1000 hp or you just want it for daily use I’ll even tell you what’s your best turbo option and you will be paying less than probably a third of what you would pay to pure Turbos or ANYWHERE ELSE - He has so much experience with this engine and has so many requests since I’m his very good friend I’ll just say this much and we do a lot of business. He takes care of me and I take care of the Bmw community because I pay it forward like that I’m not making a penny, but I will not lose money on shipping either. lol
any dyno yet? i'd like to see some numbers here
      02-21-2024, 09:11 PM   #11
Ebtahi98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
I do not have Dyno numbers - I have Vbox and some other device that is used that’s high-end by my cousin I forgot the name of it - but the long short of it is these turbos are awesome! -even if you go with stage one or stage two it’s a no-brainer with the cost - had a dynoed my last e70 stg 2+ it would’ve been well over 760 hp / using nothing but JB4 /I did not go full 100% stage two I just use the highest quality billet internals -The turbos you saw above and let me tell you something that truck had power like it never had before! -if I had time to test and tune, if this is what I did as a full-time gig you would have numbers but I don’t have that much time
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:06 AM   #12
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebtahi98 View Post
I do not have Dyno numbers - I have Vbox and some other device that is used that’s high-end by my cousin I forgot the name of it - but the long short of it is these turbos are awesome! -even if you go with stage one or stage two it’s a no-brainer with the cost - had a dynoed my last e70 stg 2+ it would’ve been well over 760 hp / using nothing but JB4 /I did not go full 100% stage two I just use the highest quality billet internals -The turbos you saw above and let me tell you something that truck had power like it never had before! -if I had time to test and tune, if this is what I did as a full-time gig you would have numbers but I don’t have that much time
Cool. I don’t mind waiting for some numbers. Let me know when you have some time to dyno it! Definitely numbers will help you sell this kit…