BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-03-2022, 06:02 PM   #1
RubenM
Registered
Rep
Drives: f85 x5m

F85 X5M Suspension Air Compressor

Trying to install new sus. air compressor and I can't get past these black bars on the F85. I've seen videos of the F15 but they don't seem to have the bars. Is there a service manual/guide to doing the air compressor on the F85? has anyone tried to replace the Suspension Air Compressor on the F85?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 06:23 PM   #2
SharpieX5M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335D

You can undo the Plastic clips that are holding the brake lines. Then you can lower them and that will give you just enough room to get the Compressor out
Appreciate 1
MikeM6148.00
      07-04-2022, 07:39 AM   #3
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

HTH
(Attachment not visible in mobile app for some reason, check out post in browser)
Appreciate 1
MikeM6148.00
      07-05-2022, 03:33 AM   #4
RubenM
Registered
Rep
Drives: f85 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
HTH
(Attachment not visible in mobile app for some reason, check out post in browser)
Thank you so much! what is the Special Tool required ? I will attempt it again and see if I can get by w/o the special tool. Was this info from bmwtis? Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2022, 03:42 AM   #5
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenM View Post
Quote:
HTH
Thank you so much! what is the Special Tool required ? I will attempt it again and see if I can get by w/o the special tool. Was this info from bmwtis? Thanks again!
Yes, this is from newtis. Some more attachments to help you out. The torque spec for 37221AZ is 8Nm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MikeM6148.00
      06-08-2023, 05:34 PM   #6
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6GC, X5M, M3, X7, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpieX5M View Post
You can undo the Plastic clips that are holding the brake lines. Then you can lower them and that will give you just enough room to get the Compressor out
So you didn't have to undo the banjo nuts on lines 1 & 2 in the attached PDF instructions from bmwx5er to swap the compressor? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 05:36 PM   #7
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenM View Post
Were you able to successfully install a new compressor? Interested in any tips you may have. Getting ready to do this myself. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 05:39 PM   #8
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
HTH
Thank you! Somehow I was looking at the procedure & videos for vehicles without dynamic drive. Imagine my surprise when I removed the cover and saw the 4 hydraulic lines.

Have you done the compressor swap yourself?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 06:22 PM   #9
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM6 View Post
Thank you! Somehow I was looking at the procedure & videos for vehicles without dynamic drive. Imagine my surprise when I removed the cover and saw the 4 hydraulic lines.

Have you done the compressor swap yourself?
No, I haven’t done it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 10:00 AM   #10
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
For those wondering about the special tool needed to drop the brake lines to gain access for compressor removal all you need is a H6 Allen socket. I’m in the process of removing mine.
Attached Images

06-09-2023, 05:30 PM   #11
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicteal_M3 View Post
For those wondering about the special tool needed to drop the brake lines to gain access for compressor removal all you need is a H6 Allen socket. I’m in the process of removing mine.
You were able to get enough access to remove the compressor by opening the forward line holder block pictured? You didn't need to disconnect the 2 lines at the rear valve block connections shown in the TIS instructions? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 06:12 PM   #12
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
You were able to get enough access to remove the compressor by opening the forward line holder block pictured? You didn't need to disconnect the 2 lines at the rear valve block connections shown in the TIS instructions? Thanks.
I loosened the 3 screws to the hydraulic lock mounting bracket as well as the forward line holder block and that gave me enough room to slide the compressor assembly out. Just as seen in the video below.
Finished up the job and car is back to normal height and holding. Old Compressor was shot.
I’m kinda upset I didn’t take pictures or video when doing it since I was pressed for time.
https://youtu.be/pVzQr6qJpHk
shimmy232350.00
      06-09-2023, 07:13 PM   #13
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I loosened the 3 screws to the hydraulic lock mounting bracket as well as the forward line holder block and that gave me enough room to slide the compressor assembly out. Just as seen in the video below.
Finished up the job and car is back to normal height and holding. Old Compressor was shot.
I’m kinda upset I didn’t take pictures or video when doing it since I was pressed for time.
https://youtu.be/pVzQr6qJpHk
Thanks for the update and a link to the great Arnott video. Not sure how I didn't come across it with all my searching...

Glad to hear the compressor swap fixed your issue. Which replacement compressor did you go with? Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2023, 08:23 PM   #14
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the update and a link to the great Arnott video. Not sure how I didn't come across it with all my searching...

Glad to hear the compressor swap fixed your issue. Which replacement compressor did you go with? Thanks.
Well the Arnott video is created for the E70 platform but the installation process is pretty much identical to the F85 with minor differences. I originally ordered the Wabco oem equivalent since it is literally below half the price of oem ($460), however I returned it since it doesn’t come with a valve control unit. The Wabco unit is literally just the compressor. I bit the bullet and paid $1350 for the genuine unit that came complete with everything for a direct swap. I figured I’d do this once and be worry free. BTW, the Genuine bmw compressor is made by Wabco as well. Here are pics of genuine vs oem equivalent.
Attached Images

06-09-2023, 10:42 PM   #15
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well the Arnott video is created for the E70 platform but the installation process is pretty much identical to the F85 with minor differences. I originally ordered the Wabco oem equivalent since it is literally below half the price of oem ($460), however I returned it since it doesn’t come with a valve control unit. The Wabco unit is literally just the compressor. I bit the bullet and paid $1350 for the genuine unit that came complete with everything for a direct swap. I figured I’d do this once and be worry free. BTW, the Genuine bmw compressor is made by Wabco as well. Here are pics of genuine vs oem equivalent.
I just pulled the compressor assembly. As you stated, the F85 is almost identical. The Arnott video made it easy. Thanks again. I'm happy to skip disconnecting the 2 hydraulic lines per the TIS procedure.

Personally I couldn't see the value in the OE unit. I purchased a few different compressors to compare. All three look very similar to the OE at a fraction of the cost. I'll probably install the complete assembly with new L/R valves to make it quick.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2023, 10:45 PM   #16
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
I just pulled the compressor assembly. As you stated, the F85 is almost identical. The Arnott video made it easy. Thanks again. I'm happy to skip disconnecting the 2 hydraulic lines per the TIS procedure.

Personally I couldn't see the value in the OE unit. I purchased a few different compressors to compare. All three look very similar to the OE at a fraction of the cost. I'll probably install the complete assembly with new L/R valves to make it quick.
I agree. Less of a headache and all new parts.
      06-13-2023, 08:22 PM   #17
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Update. I installed the complete compressor assembly with L/R valves. Starting the engine didn't raise the vehicle, but one "fill" operation in ISTA for ~30 sec brought the ride height up to normal. With the old compressor, one fill operation raised the height less than 1mm, so obviously there was an issue.

I'm still seeing a "transport mode" fault and "chassis function restricted" message (despite clearing it), possibly due to the battery level getting low during troubleshooting. I'll check again after a few drive cycles.

Height sensors report ride height deviation from normal is 0mm on both sides, but the left is slightly higher. The second "loaded" measurement shows deviation at -20mm L & -26mm R without any changes to load (numbers are from memory). Seems a little strange?

Overall the height looks about normal and the ride feels normal, so not overly concerned. I'll keep an eye on it. Hope this information is helpful to others.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2023, 08:12 AM   #18
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Update. I installed the complete compressor assembly with L/R valves. Starting the engine didn't raise the vehicle, but one "fill" operation in ISTA for ~30 sec brought the ride height up to normal. With the old compressor, one fill operation raised the height less than 1mm, so obviously there was an issue.

I'm still seeing a "transport mode" fault and "chassis function restricted" message (despite clearing it), possibly due to the battery level getting low during troubleshooting. I'll check again after a few drive cycles.

Height sensors report ride height deviation from normal is 0mm on both sides, but the left is slightly higher. The second "loaded" measurement shows deviation at -20mm L & -26mm R without any changes to load (numbers are from memory). Seems a little strange?

Overall the height looks about normal and the ride feels normal, so not overly concerned. I'll keep an eye on it. Hope this information is helpful to others.
Did you end up using a genuine oem compressor?
      06-21-2023, 11:45 PM   #19
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did you end up using a genuine oem compressor?
I went with A-Premium assembly from Amazon with valves. Also ordered AIRSUSFAT & LUFT MEISTER. All three look very similar on the outside.

Interestingly I did blow the 40A fuse after replacing the compressor.

Everything appears to be working, but I'm still getting the "Chassis function restricted" message & "Discharge Valve: Short circuit to B+ or line disconnection" fault code in ISTA, 480DA0? Not sure why?

Based on ride height measurements from others I'm a little low, but the sensors are telling me I'm at the correct height?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 11:53 PM   #20
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
I went with A-Premium assembly from Amazon with valves. Also ordered AIRSUSFAT & LUFT MEISTER. All three look very similar on the outside.

Interestingly I did blow the 40A fuse after replacing the compressor.

Everything appears to be working, but I'm still getting the "Chassis function restricted" message & "Discharge Valve: Short circuit to B+ or line disconnection" fault code in ISTA, 480DA0? Not sure why?

Based on ride height measurements from others I'm a little low, but the sensors are telling me I'm at the correct height?
What's your actual height vs what ISTA thinks it is? That +/- 20mm is the difference it thinks from the desired height.

The OE spec for 21" wheel is 737mm, from the lip of the rim to the fender. So if you fully pumped up and its at 740mm, but ISTA is still showing you -20m. Then the issue is prob in the height module, or you need to calibrate it.

Note the acceptable tolerance of 10mm

Appreciate 1
MikeM6148.00
      06-22-2023, 12:05 AM   #21
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
What's your actual height vs what ISTA thinks it is? That +/- 20mm is the difference it thinks from the desired height.

The OE spec for 21" wheel is 737mm, from the lip of the rim to the fender. So if you fully pumped up and its at 740mm, but ISTA is still showing you -20m. Then the issue is prob in the height module, or you need to calibrate it.

Thanks Chilled. I'll check it tomorrow and report back.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 11:23 PM   #22
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post

Results after raising the ride height once with ISTA (I tired a second cycle and it blew the 40A fuse).

Height check reported -11mm from nominal (was -26mm before raising).

Values from ride height adjustment service function procedure.

Height reported by sensors:
738mm - Left Rear
739mm - Right Rear

Actual measured values:
715mm - Left Rear
714mm - Right Rear

According to ISTA, the new values are written to the control unit when the vehicle goes to sleep. Hopefully things improve tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0