BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
ImStillHereDoingMyThing
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW GOLF 2005 1.6FSI

Just purchased an xDrive40d F16 X6

Hi,

I have a few questions, I used to own a Mini Cooper and I kinda know the workings of INPA etc. Prior to this car I had an MK5 VW, I like to do a lot of the maintenance of my car by myself, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what software or programs I’d need for the usual things like a brake change, oil change (service reset), how often you guys change your oils, anyone ever change glow plugs often? (I know these can be a pain but I like to maintain things, aggressive stance on maintenance), how much oil usually comes out of these? Anything else you guys recommend I need to know?

I haven’t picked up the car yet and I know these things are relatively easy to google but thought I’d come direct to the source of enthusiasts who’ll help me with some inside tricks from experience... also it’s an N57 engine and a 18 plate car... I’ve heard lots of things about dodgy swirl flaps etc and wouldn’t mind getting my hands dirty and deleting things before hand as long as it’s justified!

Appreciate any and all information, including things I haven’t yet asked
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:24 PM   #2
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillHereDoingMyThing View Post
Hi,

I have a few questions, I used to own a Mini Cooper and I kinda know the workings of INPA etc. Prior to this car I had an MK5 VW, I like to do a lot of the maintenance of my car by myself, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what software or programs I’d need for the usual things like a brake change, oil change (service reset), how often you guys change your oils, anyone ever change glow plugs often? (I know these can be a pain but I like to maintain things, aggressive stance on maintenance), how much oil usually comes out of these? Anything else you guys recommend I need to know?

I haven’t picked up the car yet and I know these things are relatively easy to google but thought I’d come direct to the source of enthusiasts who’ll help me with some inside tricks from experience... also it’s an N57 engine and a 18 plate car... I’ve heard lots of things about dodgy swirl flaps etc and wouldn’t mind getting my hands dirty and deleting things before hand as long as it’s justified!

Appreciate any and all information, including things I haven’t yet asked
Check the sticky posts, there's a big coding thread that might shed some light on this topic. Btw - swirl flaps, on X6? I remember back in the days when I had a 330d e46 I had them removed, but hey, in X6? Is it still a thing?
Appreciate 0